Law School Discussion

Most Beautiful/Ugliest Law School Campus

RocketBot

Re: Most Beautiful/Ugliest Law School Campus
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005, 06:47:15 AM »
Here are a couple I've visited.

Michigan - Has a really neat integrated castle villa in which law students live (lawyers club i think it's called).  The library reading room and general exterior is all gorgeous gothic architecture with gargoyles, stained glass windows that depict petty crimes (I thought that was pretty clever), and is just generally really cool.  What really surprised me is how much of a risk, architecturally, they took with the underground portion of library-- it is the polar opposite of the rest of the law school, quite modern.  Hard to explain, but I thought it was pretty neat:
http://www.law.umich.edu/virtualtour/library/entrance-window.htm
http://www.law.umich.edu/virtualtour/library/entrance.htm
http://www.law.umich.edu/virtualtour/library/winter.htm

Chicago - The law school itself is kinda strange looking.  The impression I got was that most of the students there actually actively dislike it (especially because, in the winter, the little reflecting pool out front of the library is drained, and it looks really weird to have the building standing in front of this water-stained concrete pit with sculptures kinda poking out).  Of course, the overall Chicago campus is one of the most beautiful in the nation.  And I hear they are doing some major physical and technological renovations to the law school (on a related note, I've heard multiple references to Chicago as the least well-maintained of the law school campuses, especially technologically-- it did look a bit aged when I visited).

Boalt Hall - I picked up on some very funny propaganda when I visited Berkeley last year.  Some campus brochure I think said something like "students called it 'Boalt Hall High School' because the law school campus is so tightly knit!" -- no they call it that because it looks like a high school.  Seriously though, I don't know if I can even knock Boalt for having such a horrendous exterior, because the place really exudes warmth, being in such an active spot on the Berkeley campus.  The classrooms weren't all that bad either-- but again, the building is one huge cinder block.

Hastings - I don't plan on applying really, but Hastings does have a really neat spot, pretty much right at the center of the SanFran political universe.  The building fits right in with a sort of federal, Washington D.C. look, which is actually pretty intimidating.  Overall I think it'd be a strange place to go to school, with the complete lack of a campus and such.

BAFF213

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 09:33:14 AM »
I've heard that UConn has a beautiful campus.

A.J

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 11:36:59 AM »
I can vouch for UW, Seattle U and Gonzaga as being very nice.

russian_concussion

• Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 12:03:16 PM »
Keep 'em coming.

All I can contribute is that Northeastern's campus is smack-dab in the city of boston and is very very beautiful.

Suffolk is on the boston common (like the NYC central park), but as far as campus itself, I haven't toured any of the buildings.

mchek

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2005, 12:09:35 PM »
I toured Suffolks law building and it is has the nicest facilities of any law school I've visited! Everything is very new and very clean.

the REAL desi

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2005, 01:08:14 PM »
iowa has a beautiful campus with a river running right through it.  the ugrad side sits alongside downtown iowa city.  the law school practically sits on the river.

illinois urbana is jarringly ugly.  the whole campus.

emory is ok, but sorta doesn't fit in with the remainder of campus, which is very beautiful.

florida is ghetto.  i think they are rebuilding it though.

university of miami is beautiful.

university of tulsa - seems like someone vomited on the city and a law school popped up

BAFF213

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2005, 01:41:26 PM »
I've heard that Suffolk has a beautiful campus and really nice facilities.  I've heard that Northeastern's facilities (e.g. classrooms) aren't very nice, but they are being improved (I think?  Maybe they already were recently improved - i dont remember).  However, I haven't visited either of these schools yet.

Keep 'em coming.

All I can contribute is that Northeastern's campus is smack-dab in the city of boston and is very very beautiful.

Suffolk is on the boston common (like the NYC central park), but as far as campus itself, I haven't toured any of the buildings.

mchek

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2005, 01:45:51 PM »
I toured Northeastern as well, and was not overly impressed with the facilities, but I wasn't put off by them either. They were basic.

russian_concussion

• Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2005, 01:46:48 PM »
I toured Northeastern as well, and was not overly impressed with the facilities, but I wasn't put off by them either. They were basic.

You haven't seen basic until you've toured UMass Lowell :)

nika22

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2005, 01:51:51 PM »
haven't actually been, but USD campus in general looks beautiful

ditto on seattle u and u wash having nice facilities- studied in both law school libraries