Law School Discussion

Financial Aid for US Schools

Cheeks

• View Profile
Financial Aid for US Schools
« on: January 15, 2005, 10:23:50 AM »
Has anyone started on this?  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I'm getting super confused.

_____

• View Profile
Re: Financial Aid for US Schools
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 05:51:44 PM »
Check this out... It should help...

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=32237.msg524749;topicseen#msg524749

(Long story short: there is no need-based financial aid for people on a student visa.  There is only merit aid available...)

Also useful: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/academic.htm

It basically explains why you can't get financial aid by explaining how to get the visa: in order to get the visa, you have to prove you have, on hand, all the money necessary to pay for your studies.  So there's no way you can need aid--if you have the visa, you already have the money.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:03:33 PM »
Check this out... It should help...

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=32237.msg524749;topicseen#msg524749

(Long story short: there is no need-based financial aid for people on a student visa.  There is only merit aid available...)

Also useful: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/academic.htm

It basically explains why you can't get financial aid by explaining how to get the visa: in order to get the visa, you have to prove you have, on hand, all the money necessary to pay for your studies.  So there's no way you can need aid--if you have the visa, you already have the money.

thanks, but it was a little late.  Anyways, i've got it all sorted out.  Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 09:11:02 AM »
There is financial aid for Canadian students at some institutions by the way - went to Penn for undergrad and I got substantial grant money - F-1 Visa

Penn fin aid package:

1) grant money: I got this
2) loans:
a) fedrally subsidized (did not qualify - not a citizen or permanent resident)
b) private loans set up by the school - citibank (I got this)
3) work study (initially I did not qualify but the rules changed by my senior year so I got work that was in part subsidized)

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:51:33 PM »
There is financial aid for Canadian students at some institutions by the way - went to Penn for undergrad and I got substantial grant money - F-1 Visa

Penn fin aid package:

2) loans:
3) work study (initially I did not qualify but the rules changed by my senior year so I got work that was in part subsidized)

Were your grants need-based or merit based?  This will make all the difference...

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »

Penn fin aid package:

2) loans:

Were your grants need-based or merit based?  This will make all the difference...

why?  i got need-based and merit-based grants. 

I learned after going through the process, that if you are going to a top school, you don't really need to worry about the finances - they will pretty much do everything for you.  It's just a matter of how much you have to pay back later.

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 01:55:28 PM »

Penn fin aid package:

2) loans:

why?  i got need-based and merit-based grants. 

I learned after going through the process, that if you are going to a top school, you don't really need to worry about the finances - they will pretty much do everything for you.  It's just a matter of how much you have to pay back later.

Were the need-based grants for your first year or for later years? 

The reason I ask is that it should be impossible to get need-based grants your first year, because in order to get the F-1 visa, you need to show that you already have sufficient funds for the first year, meaning that you already have the money to pay for the first year entirely, making your financial need for that year zero. 

(Once you are merely continuing in your status, your financial situation may be different, but for that first year, you supposedly have no need whatsoever...)

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »
i got need-based grants for my 1L year (from Harvard if it matters).

You've assumed that you apply for the F-1 before you get your financial aid package, when it is actually the other way around.  you get your merit and loans, and then go get the visa.

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 03:53:02 PM »
i got need-based grants for my 1L year (from Harvard if it matters).

You've assumed that you apply for the F-1 before you get your financial aid package, when it is actually the other way around.  you get your merit and loans, and then go get the visa.

Ahhh, very good point.  The schools I have the most F-1 experience with are English schools (which do not offer aid because they are for profit) and public Junior Colleges (which offer only need-based grants, and only to US citizens or permanent residents), so that does make a difference...