Law School Discussion

Law School Gym Ratings

Re: Law School Gym Ratings
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2005, 11:01:30 PM »
Does anyone know about the gym at Michigan? In particular, I'd like to know if there's an indoor track...I don't think this southern girl can handle running outside when it's so cold!

There is no law school specific gym at Michigan (or at least I'm reasonably certain there isn't)...you would end up using one of the three large gyms located in different sections of campus.  Closest to the Law School would be the IM (intramural) building ...don't know heaps about it, as I frequent the CCRB (central campus recreation building), which would only be about 1 or 2 minutes further walk from the law quad.

IM building has a pool (don't know anything about it), 4 basketball courts, racketball/squash courts, a room for free weights, two rooms of machine weights, heaps of biking/running/eliptical machines...pretty big complex.

CCRB has 3 indoor basketball courts and 3 volleyball courts in a main gymnasium.  There  is a 3 lane 1/8th mile indoor track that circles around all of the courts, one floor above.  Two massive rooms on the floor below the main gym room, one is more free weights/heavy lifting stuff, the other filled with a full array of new weight machines and rows of ellipticals and stairclimbers.  Basement has a bunch of racketball/squash courts, and rooms filled with different cardio equipment (treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, rowing machines, etc...).  Oh, and there are several rooms will mirrored walls that are used for dance/kickboxing/pilate/whatever-else classes.  And a lap pool.  Open until 1am on sun-tues, 11 on the rest of the days.

And then there is the NCRB (north campus rec building)...but have never been, as I didn't live on/near north campus.

Overall I think we have a really good setup...I've never had to wait for cardio machines (until recently...damn you new year's resolutions!)...and our gyms tend to be filled with some pretty buff bodies  ;D

Thanks for the info! Good to know I can keep up my running without freezing my butt off!

AubZamZam

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2005, 03:11:53 AM »
Stanford's gyms are awful. As of a few years ago anyway, there were about 10 cardio machines on the whole campus, and that is not an exaggeration. There's better opportunities for weightlifting though. Of course, for cardio you can always run around the campus loop (4 miles, quite scenic in parts) or up in the foothills.

This information may be outdated since I am getting on in years :) But I haven't heard of anything new. Except apparently there is a climbing wall now, I'm not sure where they put that.

Why would you need cardio machines/treadmills, when you can run outside year-round in the beautiful weather?

Good point, though the weather is not ALWAYS beautiful.  Winter quarter it is usually pretty rainy.  At least one year when I was there I can't remember a day it didn't rain from Jan-April because of El Nino.

I should add that Stanford has great sports facilities available - like the driving range, championship golf course, tennis courts, volleyball courts, etc.  It is just in the traditional "gym" sense that I find them somewhat lacking.

nycamanda

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2005, 07:37:32 AM »
Columbia's gym is okay, I think.  I could be wrong, since I'm not exactly a gym rat or anything and don't have all that much to compare it to, but it seemed decent enough to me.  It's got a reasonable number of machines - bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, rowing machines, weight machines, etc. - on the top floor, with half-hour slots that you sign up for (pretty busy most of the time, and you have to be a little assertive about kicking people out when their time is up).  There's also a running track, 8 laps to the mile.  The next floor down is all free weights, I think, and is often occupied by sports teams and gym classes during the day, and the bottom floor is a basketball court.  A few flights below the basketball court is the swimming pool, which may by olympic-size but I honestly have no idea since I only saw it once.  It's pretty dank down there, but the pool seems clean enough.  There are always lots of a fliers up for classes in yoga, karate, etc., so that's an option too.

The atmosphere in the gym isn't all that fabulous - it's pretty dark and there are no windows, so bring a book.

Also, for runners, Riverside Park is a pretty good outdoor spot for a run along the Hudson (daytime only, though).

TexasTiger14

• War Eagle!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 10:03:08 AM »
Wow, I figured you nerds going to T14 schools would be much to busy studying..... :D

All the Texas schools have sweet student rec centers, well UH(just built last year), UT(very nice, only a few years old, central to campus with tons of stuff), T-Tech (indoor soccer court, cha-ching)........not sure 'bout Baylor or SMU.....

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2005, 04:01:47 PM »
UT has a couple nice gyms, but they're often prohibitively crowded (the main one in particualr).  You can usually find a spot in the weight room and not have to wait for too much stuff but it's often nearly impossible to get a basketball or racquetball court unless you go at off hours

Shira

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2005, 04:42:29 PM »
As a current UCLA student I can tell you that UCLA's is nothing special.  They have JUST opened a new addition to our gym though, which I have not yet been inside but supposedly adds lots of state-of-the-art machines.  Annoying hours, though.  Features:

It's finally open??? Do you know if they have more cardio machines now? Jeez, it's about time.

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2005, 04:05:15 AM »
2 comments, 1 question

Comment 1) UCLA just built a huge addition to it's gym (the Wooden Center) and it is VERY nice.  Huge weight room with super nice equipment (all brand new):free weights, machines, cardio (elliptical, treadmill, bike, etc).  Also all the stuff that used to be there: squash courts, rock climbing wall, volleyball courts, all kinds of classes, and of course the main attraction - 3 nice (assuming you play after the floor is refinished over x-mas) basketball courts side-by-side with games going almost all the time.

2) G'town law center has a really nice gym too, it's brand new.

Question - How is the pick-up basketball at Harvard?  (I don't care if it's at the Law gym or the Undergrad)  anybody know?

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2005, 08:41:54 AM »
I just watched The Paper Chase (as close to Harvard as I'll get) and  the pool looked nice, if in fact it was Harvard's pool.   ;D  OK, I'ver been no help.  The gyms at IU are nice but busy if anyone cares!

I care about the IU gyms!!! I am probably going to go there, and have become a bit picky about my gyms since living in NYC for a few years. How's their weight room? And how nice is the cardio equipment? Are there any private gyms in the Bloomington area? I remember seeing one new gym near City Hall (opposite campus) when I visited... but it looked kinda pricey.

Any thoughts???

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2020, 04:20:17 AM »
The most famous effect of steroids https://thebbpower.com/injections on the male body is a rapid increase in strength indicators and an increase in muscle mass. Actually, that's why these drugs are used by bodybuilders. There are many myths about steroids that are not true in the least. The truth is that, in addition to the sports environment, steroids are widely used to treat liver diseases, renal failure, acute pancreatitis and many other diseases.