Law School Discussion

Law School Gym Ratings

maricutie

Re: Law School Gym Ratings
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2005, 02:25:31 PM »
The only thing wrong with the Berkeley gym was that they would get hella crowded during peak times (lunch, after 5pm). Then you'd have to be on a waiting list for the treadmills and elliptical machines, with the latter occasionally taking about 30 min to get. :P. But now that I have to pay $40 a month for something comparable, I think it's a bargain for berkeley students :)

Also, the 24 hr fitness is located slightly south on shattuck, which is borderline shady area.

deenaweena

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2005, 02:44:27 PM »
I don't think that Yale law has its own gym, but it is only maybe three minutes away from the main campus gym.  Payne Whitney is HUGE and has a lot of different rooms for classes (some of which are pretty popular and require some waiting in line to get into at the beginning of the semester).  There are two pools that are open at most times except parts of late afternoon when the swim team uses them, but they are pretty well maintained.  The cardio/ weights fitness center can get pretty crowded right around 4-6 in the evening, but it usually doesn't take to long to get a machine (although there are plenty of the obsessive types apparently also found at Harvard).  There's also an indoor jogging track over the basketball courts in the same building which can be nice when the fitness center is crowded.  Overall, a pretty nice place.

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »
Does anyone know about the gym at Michigan? In particular, I'd like to know if there's an indoor track...I don't think this southern girl can handle running outside when it's so cold!

maximumtennis82

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2005, 06:39:48 PM »
Does anyone know about the gym at Michigan? In particular, I'd like to know if there's an indoor track...I don't think this southern girl can handle running outside when it's so cold!

There is no law school specific gym at Michigan (or at least I'm reasonably certain there isn't)...you would end up using one of the three large gyms located in different sections of campus.  Closest to the Law School would be the IM (intramural) building ...don't know heaps about it, as I frequent the CCRB (central campus recreation building), which would only be about 1 or 2 minutes further walk from the law quad.

IM building has a pool (don't know anything about it), 4 basketball courts, racketball/squash courts, a room for free weights, two rooms of machine weights, heaps of biking/running/eliptical machines...pretty big complex.

CCRB has 3 indoor basketball courts and 3 volleyball courts in a main gymnasium.  There  is a 3 lane 1/8th mile indoor track that circles around all of the courts, one floor above.  Two massive rooms on the floor below the main gym room, one is more free weights/heavy lifting stuff, the other filled with a full array of new weight machines and rows of ellipticals and stairclimbers.  Basement has a bunch of racketball/squash courts, and rooms filled with different cardio equipment (treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, rowing machines, etc...).  Oh, and there are several rooms will mirrored walls that are used for dance/kickboxing/pilate/whatever-else classes.  And a lap pool.  Open until 1am on sun-tues, 11 on the rest of the days.

And then there is the NCRB (north campus rec building)...but have never been, as I didn't live on/near north campus.

Overall I think we have a really good setup...I've never had to wait for cardio machines (until recently...damn you new year's resolutions!)...and our gyms tend to be filled with some pretty buff bodies  ;D

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2005, 07:14:16 PM »
Anyone care about Fair Ye Tulane? They built a very nice gym and they have been adding much needed equipment (cardio stuff...they only had four tredmills as of 01 but that was a long time ago) like most schools here...its crowded at peak hours but you work out with all Tulane students and lots of community folk. They have awesome pools...an outdoor social pool (go Tulane) an indoor diving pool and an olympic size pool that helped me take off the Taco Bell 15. Also I saw all these posts about GULC's gym....um my ex porked up like 60 pounds and swore there was no gym for them  so he had to go to one that all treadmills were street level(that looked right onto a busy street) so he couldn't go b/c of stage fright...geez...I guess I know why they pay him the big dollars to spew out  b.s like that!! Hahahaha....he's busted!!

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 07:19:10 PM »
Anyone care about Fair Ye Tulane? They built a very nice gym and they have been adding much needed equipment (cardio stuff...they only had four tredmills as of 01 but that was a long time ago) like most schools here...its crowded at peak hours but you work out with all Tulane students and lots of community folk. They have awesome pools...an outdoor social pool (go Tulane) an indoor diving pool and an olympic size pool that helped me take off the Taco Bell 15. Also I saw all these posts about GULC's gym....um my ex porked up like 60 pounds and swore there was no gym for them  so he had to go to one that all treadmills were street level(that looked right onto a busy street) so he couldn't go b/c of stage fright...geez...I guess I know why they pay him the big dollars to spew out  b.s like that!! Hahahaha....he's busted!!

ha ha, not to take up for your ex...

but they just opened the new gym this year.  So, if he isn't a current student it probably wasn't too much of a BS comment.  :)

AubZamZam

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »
Stanford's gyms are awful.  As of a few years ago anyway, there were about 10 cardio machines on the whole campus, and that is not an exaggeration.  There's better opportunities for weightlifting though.  Of course, for cardio you can always run around the campus loop (4 miles, quite scenic in parts) or up in the foothills.

This information may be outdated since I am getting on in years :) But I haven't heard of anything new.  Except apparently there is a climbing wall now, I'm not sure where they put that.

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2005, 07:28:54 PM »
Actually, we've been friends for a long time but he used to have panic attacks about the gym. I will have to tell him that his dear GTown could have saved him the South Beach Diet and all those diet lies (seriously, if you suck the porcelin off my plate that's not a diet) during law school. Awww, poor thing. He graduated a few years ago (man, its been that long?)

Fade

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2005, 07:40:13 PM »
I'm visiting Georgetown, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and NYU within the next two weeks. I am definitely a gym rat, so I'll give a comprehensive comparison (including the level of talent for pickup basketball!).

BAFF213

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 09:50:56 PM »
Stanford's gyms are awful.  As of a few years ago anyway, there were about 10 cardio machines on the whole campus, and that is not an exaggeration.  There's better opportunities for weightlifting though.  Of course, for cardio you can always run around the campus loop (4 miles, quite scenic in parts) or up in the foothills.

This information may be outdated since I am getting on in years :) But I haven't heard of anything new.  Except apparently there is a climbing wall now, I'm not sure where they put that.

Why would you need cardio machines/treadmills, when you can run outside year-round in the beautiful weather?