Law School Discussion

Law School Gym Ratings

A.

• View Profile
Re: Law School Gym Ratings
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 11:55:29 AM »
Anyone know about the Yale gym (that is, hoping I have the opportunity to worry about their fitness facilities... :-[)

They advertise it to be one of the largest and most comprehensive in the world.  Haven't had a chance to see first hand, though.

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 12:43:41 PM »
Hi ulb :) Yeah, gyms are really important to me, in that I tend to work out more when I actually like the place I'm going to!

Keep in mind that I haven't actually used the pool (not exactly the best swimmer in the world...), but from all I can see/have heard, it's great.  It's pretty big - I'd say it's about Olympic sized (compared to the one at my club back home, which was, and it's about the same size).  It's really well kept up, and there are always people swimming there (but I've never seen it so crowded you couldn't get a lane, although some people have to share occasionally).  There's always a life guard, and it's indoor.  The waterpolo and swimming teams practice there, so it has to be well maintained!

The gym is interesting - I'd say it's 15% exTREMEly skinny girls (skin and bones) who work out until they look like they're going to pass out, 15% older people (profs, mostly), and 70% very normal students in T-shirts and shorts just trying to have a good run.  In the morning, the elliptical machines are quickly taken - I'm talking 6 am.  I hate to say this, but a lot of the girls who get there at 6 for the eliptical machines, well...you might walk by and think, "Gosh...I wonder if she eats?" They get there at six, sign up (against the rules) for four time slots on the same machine (using different signatures) and work out for two hours to earn their lunchtime salad.  Lol - sorry.  I'm not angry about that at all, it just worries me when I see girls so lost.  But there are only 5 or so girls like that usually, and you learn to recognize them and say silent prayers for their health as you walk by them.  At Harvard (undergrad especially), a lot of the people there are used to pushing themselves, and tend to go too far.  It's really hard to pull yourself back from that.

I used to go with my best friend and work out with her, and that was great.  If you get there between 8 am and 9 am, it's pretty darn busy.  But keep in mind, you can get there at 7 am, put your name down for one machine at 8 and another at 8:30 am, and go have breakfast.

:) hope this helps!

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 12:45:57 PM »
On second thought, not sure if it's Olympic sized! I can't picture the exact dimensions in my memory, sorry :) Check out the link to the site though:

http://gocrimson.collegesports.com/facilities/malkin.html

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 12:46:33 PM »
yeah, it's a 25 yard pool.

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 01:23:41 PM »
Yeah, I just kick their eensie little butts right off those machines - and then I feed them cookies.

:P

You know, most machines either come with a reading stand or the gym has them (you probably know that :) ).  I just bring my homework with me and kind of skim.  But either way, think about it: exercise ups your energy, makes you feel good.  It's an investment in your good health, and therefore your career!

NYBound05

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »
What a helpful thread!

I don't think Boalt has a gym, but Berkeley's undergrad has one of the coolest gyms around.  Elliptical machines, treadmills, raquetball courts, etc.  Its called the RSF (i'm assuming that stands for Recreational Sports Facility but I'm not sure).  I don't personally use the RSF because I attend a different gym,  but I've been a couple of times.  It's really reasonably priced for Berkeley students, and I'd think the pricing is the same for Boalt students but I'm not sure. Also, if you don't like the RSF or the atmosphere of it for any reason, there's a 24 Hour Fitness gym not to far from Boalt.

If anyone knows anything about the gyms either AT the following schools or NEARBY, that'd be great:

NYU
Columbia
Fordham
St. Johns
Boston College
Temple
Cardozo
George Washington
Brooklyn

ilsox7

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 01:25:59 PM »
I just watched The Paper Chase (as close to Harvard as I'll get) and  the pool looked nice, if in fact it was Harvard's pool.   ;D  OK, I'ver been no help.  The gyms at IU are nice but busy if anyone cares!

omegajjj

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 01:26:43 PM »
Cornell's got several on-campus gyms, with no large, central location. The one closest to the law school is located by the upperclassmen dorms, which are being torn down in the next few years (and will be replaced). It is rather small with about 10 cardio machines, several benches, and some weights. However, it is relatively empty during the afternoon and is open until 11 pm.

There is a bigger gym up in central campus with dedicated cardio and weight sections, and a pool. I think these two get fairly crowded. On North Campus where the freshmen live, there are two gyms and a pool as well, but these are quite far from the law school and are populated by freshmen.

EDIT: There is also a squash or racquetball court (not sure which) in the library.

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 01:59:53 PM »
lol - ah yes, waterlogged casebooks.  What a wonderful phrase - waterlogged casebooks, ain't no passin' craze...

Oh God.  I'm going to bed (time difference).  :)

scc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 02:02:56 PM »
As far as NYU goes, this site has information on Coles:
http://www.nyuathletics.com/coles/facilities.asp?pg=coles

It looks pretty nice, and it's very close to the Mercer residence and only a couple blocks away from D'Agostino.  Here's the map for that:
http://www.law.nyu.edu/experience/virtualtour/map.html