Law School Discussion

Law School Gym Ratings

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
Law School Gym Ratings
« on: January 09, 2005, 08:26:05 AM »
I'd like to hear your opinions on the gyms/work-out facilities the following schools:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Duke
Boalt
UCLA
USC

Re: Law School Gym Ratings
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 09:33:17 AM »
I like the gym at UCLA better than the one at USC.  UCLA has a fair number of cardio machines, and a decent weight room.  UCLA also has some cool classes.  USC was smaller, but their pool was much more accessible.  Of course, it's been a couple years since I've been to any gym, much less the facilities at either UCLA or USC.  This post makes me feel like a lardass.  Thanks. 

BAFF213

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 09:45:10 AM »
Yea - can anyone give a rating for each gym/work-out facility from Tier 1 through Tier 4???    ;)

I'd like to hear your opinions on the gyms/work-out facilities the following schools:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Duke
Boalt
UCLA
USC

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 09:51:11 AM »
I can tell you about Harvard:

The Harvard Law School gym cardio section is fairly unimpressive (this was four years ago though...), whereas the weights section is excellent.  Housed in rather small building.

However, the MAC (the undergraduate gym) is open to graduate students, and I LOVE that gym.  Went there 5-6 days a week my senior year.  It's a big brick building with huge windows so lots of light comes in.  In the very center of it and on the bottom floor is a swimming pool, and a couple stories up is the cardio room, which has huge windows on one side and huge glass walls on the other, so you can look out or look down on the swimming pool as you work out.  15 Ellipticals, 10 treadmills, 5 stairmasters, 8 or so bikes, 3 rowing machines.  At busy times (early morning, lunch, nighttime) there are signup sheets, so you can signup two hours in advance for a particular machine and then kick that person off when your slot comes up (30 min. intervals, unless no one claims your machine).  Great new equipment.  Three different weight rooms (for different purposes), with good equipment but fairly small rooms.  

However, this gym is a good 8-10 minute walk from the law school campus.  Worth the trip, I think.

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 09:52:31 AM »
Ooo also, some freshman undergrads use the Law School gym (their housing's nearer to the Law School Gym than the MAC, and they're allowed to use it, at least some of the time).  Kinda annoying.  Of course, I did that.  So I guess I was kinda annoying too.

:)

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 09:53:39 AM »
And a HUGE room with mirrors and hardwood floors for classes or practicing dance routines.

Ok I think this is enough info now.

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 10:10:21 AM »
thanks Dolce, that's great info!  the MAC sounds awesome.  and 8-10 min walk is no problem, actually might be a good warmup. do people ride bikes at harvard?

if anyone's interested, UC Davis just (last year) opened the greatest gym i've ever seen.  cardio machines galore, a great soft indoor running track, lots of basketball courts, a spinning room, dance room, martial arts room, two weight rooms, etc.

edit: they also have the greatest slogan I've ever seen: "What are you going to come for?"

the REAL desi

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 10:14:27 AM »
i remember Ginatio saying you had to pay @250 a year for the gym at Penn.

it's free here at Emory, but the facilities are rather ttt

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 10:23:38 AM »
Bikes are rampant.  Tons of them around, places to lock them everywhere (almost).  Its gets annoying, though, when it starts snowing, so I'd stick with boots. 

:)

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 11:28:52 AM »
I like the gym at UCLA better than the one at USC.  UCLA has a fair number of cardio machines, and a decent weight room.  UCLA also has some cool classes.  USC was smaller, but their pool was much more accessible.  Of course, it's been a couple years since I've been to any gym, much less the facilities at either UCLA or USC.  This post makes me feel like a lardass.  Thanks. 

Hey Masticatrix, any info about Loyola's gym?  Thanx!