Law School Discussion

HOW TO CHEAT on LSATs

genreg78

HOW TO CHEAT on LSATs
« on: December 27, 2004, 07:25:15 AM »
Imagine a person has to guess on the last one or two questions of a section.

The instructor calls time, and says to get ready for the next section. The time period, after the instructor has ended a section, and before they start the next section, lasts about 1-2 minutes. During this time they say things like, get ready, we'll start in a minute, etc.

During this time, you're free to read that question that you had to guess on and figure out the answer. After they start the next section, you're not supposed to bubble questions in the prior section. But you could do it and not get caught, since the proctor is unlikely to see exactly which section you're bubbling.

So, this is a case where an unethical person could get about an extra 3 questions right, meaning an extra 3-5 LSAT points.

Has anyone discussed this?

P.S. I didn't do this, even though I could have, and may have been karmically rewarded with a very high (well into the top 1% percentile) score, but I still think the loophole should be closed.

Re: HOW TO CHEAT on LSATs
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 07:58:07 AM »
Touch screen testing (used on the GMAT) would curb this behavior; LSAC is considering it.

Imagine a person has to guess on the last one or two questions of a section.

The instructor calls time, and says to get ready for the next section. The time period, after the instructor has ended a section, and before they start the next section, lasts about 1-2 minutes. During this time they say things like, get ready, we'll start in a minute, etc.

During this time, you're free to read that question that you had to guess on and figure out the answer. After they start the next section, you're not supposed to bubble questions in the prior section. But you could do it and not get caught, since the proctor is unlikely to see exactly which section you're bubbling.

So, this is a case where an unethical person could get about and extra 3 questions right, meaning an extra 3-5 LSAT points.

Has anyone discussed this?

P.S. I didn't do this, even though I could have, and may have been karmically rewarded with a very high (well into the top 1% percentile) score, but I still think the loophole should be closed.

BAFF213

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 10:54:25 AM »
The time period, after the instructor has ended a section, and before they start the next section, lasts about 1-2 minutes. During this time they say things like, get ready, we'll start in a minute, etc.

I dunno about everyone else - but the time period between sections when I took the LSAT (Oct. 2) was about 10 to 15 seconds, if that.

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 10:58:14 AM »
We had less than 30 seconds between sections.  Even if we had more time, I would hope there is some integrity left in this world.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 11:28:34 AM »
this an interesting contrast to your thread elsewhere in which you express indignation about being asked to lie in letter of recommendation.  care to reconcile?

AMB22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 11:46:10 AM »
At mytest we went straight to the next section with about a 10 second break and it would have been kind of risky to page back because the proctors walked around constantly. I agree, however, that if someone doesnt finish a section they could easily blindly guess on the questions they didnt get to finish while working on the next section withoutm getting caught. This would likely only raise someones more than a point or two if they werent finishing most sections or had to skip a lot of questions or were really lucky at guessing. Not really a loophole, but a way that LSAC probably knows ppl can extend the time a bit for guessing.

AmbitV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 11:53:30 AM »
yes a lot of people were doing that at my test.  The proctors took forever to move onto the next section too, at least like 3 mins.

After they said stop I looked around and half the room was staring down reading the questions...I think at the very least they should say "Stop and close your booklets"...and then reopen for the next section

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 11:56:49 AM »
this an interesting contrast to your thread elsewhere in which you express indignation about being asked to lie in letter of recommendation.  care to reconcile?

julie makes an excellent point.

like some of the other posters here, we had maybe a 10-15 second break between sections.

and also, yes, this has been discussed.  kinda like the boalt/GPA thing.  it's a risky move, and if caught, i imagine you would face an even more uphill battle getting into law school and admitted to the bar.

genreg78

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 12:06:28 PM »

Yours and Julie's posts demonstrate your superficial and poor reading comprehension.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 12:14:01 PM »

Yours and Julie's posts demonstrate your superficial and poor reading comprehension.

please enlighten us, einstein.