Law School Discussion

Southern New England School of law

5525bravo

• Work hard, fly hard, play hard, and stay hard.
    • View Profile
Southern New England School of law
« on: December 10, 2004, 10:01:47 PM »
I have been accepted to SNESL. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with that school.  Is it well respected in the Northeast region.I heard that Umass Dartmouth is trying really hard to merge with it.. the merger could even go through in the next few months.  If that's the case, then it would ease their ABA accreditation process, and I believe they are up for accreditation in 2006.

The other school I go into is Cooley. I heard about their reputation, which isn't the best. But, at least they are ABA accredited. 

legalkitty

• The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
Re: Southern New England School of law
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 06:22:46 AM »
Hmm...it's a tough call. Even though Cooley is less than ideal, it is probably still your way to go. And I really think that is what you do once you get there. Afterall, I think someone who graduates at the top of this class, if even from Cooley, would still look impressive.

What are your numbers? I am sure there would be other places you would have a shot at, and I feel fairly confident in saying that anywhere would probably be better than either of those options. Good luck! :)

5525bravo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:24:47 AM »
I have been in the work force for 4 years.  I didn't do real well on the LSAT... low 140s, but my GPA is 3.1.  I'm still waiting on Southern University. 

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 08:35:46 AM »
You should think about where you want to practice after you graduate.  If you want to practice in Mass. it would be OK.  You can sit for the bar in Mass. coming out of SNELS, but probably no where else unitl you pass the Mass. bar.  And even then, some states won't let you sit because of it being non-ABA.

Also, the merger has been in the news quite a bit lately.  It is by no means a done deal; it was just sent back to the UMass system trustees for more study.  The big issue is how much money the UMass system would have to put into the school for it to meet accredition.  Simply merging it into the UMass system won't help the accreditation.  Not to mention the ABA schools in Boston (Harvard, BU, BC, New England, Suffolk) all are against it.

5525bravo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 10:02:49 AM »
I have been keeping a close watch on the situation.  Money is the biggest worry for most of the critics.  The school defends itself by saying that not a penny will come out of taxpaper's pockets.

I'm interested to know if there are anyone out there who are either a student there or an alumnus.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 07:12:12 PM »
Hi...
I am a 2001 graduate of SNESL (passed the bar on the fist attempt) and have a flourishing law practice in Walpole, MA.

If you are looking for a school that cares about its students, and has professors that are knowledgeable, intelligent, and dedicated, then SNESL is a school that you want to consider.

If you are planning on practicing in Mass, then you should have few concerns.  Also, I believe you can sit for the NH and CT bars immediately, and for the RI bar after 5 yrs in practice.  Merger or no merger, in terms of greater Boston law schools, SNESL gives the biggest bang for the buck, and is equal to the others in teaching law.  I truly enjoyed my 4 years (evening division) at SNESL, and came out of there with the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful in the practice of law.

Good luck in law school!

5525bravo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 08:09:55 AM »
robert,

It's nice to meet someone who went to SNESL. Aside from the faculty, how are exams administered? Are they closed-booked, open-booked, take home?

I'm interested in their immigration clinic because I eventually want to practice immigration law.  I believe it is pretty new... I think it opened in 2001 or so.

Did you do any externships or clinic with SNESL?

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 06:05:29 AM »
Bravo I got into SNESL on monday. Where are you from again? When are you planning on moving to Dartmouth? I managed to download this spreadsheet from the umass dartmouth site and the prices there are really cheap. I went to UMass Amherst undergrad which was a real sellers market, so this was good news when I saw the options for here.

5525bravo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 07:09:11 AM »
C-Bass.

here's some good news from the Standard-Times about the review of UMass School of law.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/03-05/03-09-05/a01lo822.htm
IT seems like the review team recommends the merger. Of course, that doesn't mean it will go thru because the BHE has the final vote.  Still, it is hope for optimism and we are one step closer to being UMass Law.

I'm starting as a part time evening/sat student.  I want to move there and find a job so I can at least afford to pay for my living cost and not be in major debt when I graduate.  I'm moving from Maryland. (UM undergrad).  I'm targeting middle of August to move, at least a week before Orientation.

What spreadsheet are you downloading? 

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 12:58:22 PM »
Bravo drop me a line, youll see my email address in profile.