Law School Discussion

recommend some books for me please

shiveringjenny

Re: recommend some books for me please
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2004, 11:43:33 PM »
Has anyone read a book and totally hated it, and then seen in referenced in another book that you do like and wondered if you were dumb for thinking it sucked.

The specific books in my case are Tess of the D'Ubervilles and A Prayer for Owen Meany.

I f-ing despised Tess when i read it, but the narrator of A Prayer for Owen Meany thought it was absolutely great and was horrified by the way his students didn't "get it". I bought Tess the other day in the hopes that it is actually awesome and that i was just too stupid to realize it before.

Anyway, another set of good contemporary fiction:

The Lovely Bones, Life of Pi, and The Aughtograph Man

amarain

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2004, 06:38:51 AM »
Ooh, I have some more:

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi.

Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (it was a movie too, but read the book)

The Decameron by Bocaccio. Once you get past the prologue, which is about the plague and the death and horror of the city, it's hilarious. No, seriously, it is.

Corelli's Mandolin by...um...I forget. But it's really, really good. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT see the movie with Nicholas Cage first. The book is much better and it includes stuff that was not in the movie.

kidblue

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2004, 07:20:21 AM »
Ooh, ooh - I have some:

Secrets of the Universe - Scott Russell Sanders (and everything else he has written. Amazing essayist.)

Guns Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig (Sort of cheesy; sort of excellent; fully classic)

rohan

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2004, 08:01:09 AM »
Has anyone read a book and totally hated it, and then seen in referenced in another book that you do like and wondered if you were dumb for thinking it sucked.

The specific books in my case are Tess of the D'Ubervilles and A Prayer for Owen Meany.

I f-ing despised Tess when i read it, but the narrator of A Prayer for Owen Meany thought it was absolutely great and was horrified by the way his students didn't "get it". I bought Tess the other day in the hopes that it is actually awesome and that i was just too stupid to realize it before.

I must agree Tess of the D'urbervilles was a weird ass book.  It seemed like it tried to hard or something.  Don't feel weird for hating it.

The Pearl
My Bones and My Flute- creeeeeeeppyyyyy

And for the most unputdownable book I have ever read:
SHACKELTON'S GREAT ADVENTURE
-A true story about a voyage across the Antartic that went horribly wrong.  It's complete with pictures from the trip and everything.  Man that book ruled my life for the time it took me to read it.

sejul

• I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2004, 08:09:01 AM »
-A true story about a voyage across the Antartic that went horribly wrong. It's complete with pictures from the trip and everything. Man that book ruled my life for the time it took me to read it

Have you seen the IMAX movie about him?  It's called Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure and it's awesome!!!

DanielN

• who the hell is this? ... seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2004, 10:20:31 AM »

Anyway, another set of good contemporary fiction:

The Lovely Bones, Life of Pi, and The Aughtograph Man

I read A prayer for Owen Meany first and then say Tess in a bookstore a while later and decided to read it i really like both

in fact while im at it i will recomend both
also the poisonwood bible

rohan

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2004, 10:43:35 AM »
-A true story about a voyage across the Antartic that went horribly wrong. It's complete with pictures from the trip and everything. Man that book ruled my life for the time it took me to read it

Have you seen the IMAX movie about him?  It's called Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure and it's awesome!!!

Nah, I haven't seen it.  I'm sure it was great.

amarain

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2004, 10:53:28 AM »
Oh shoot, I nearly forgot another one of my favorites. Wild Thorns by Sahar Khalifeh. It's amazing. Pretty wrenching story, but fascinating. It's basically about a teenage Palestinian boy who is coming back to the West Bank after some years with the intent of blowing up buses that transport Palestinian workers into Israel (whom he sees as traitors). When he gets home, however, he finds out that his best friend/cousin is one of those workers. The book is essentially about life under occupation, about the complexities and absurdities of the situation. Although the author is a Palestinian woman and naturally is sympathetic to her people, she doesn't really take sides and the book presents a variety of perspectives.

lookwhois

• 3.63 / 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »
bump

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2004, 04:14:59 PM »
Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe

YES, and No Longer at Ease as well.