Law School Discussion

CANADA IS A RANCID T.T.T. IN DECLINE

DOWNY

Re: CANADA IS A RANCID T.T.T. IN DECLINE
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2004, 09:01:07 PM »
This country has not been swallowed by the redneck religious losers just yet.

This is the first thing you've said that I disagree with it.  Maybe it's not as evident up in the midwest where you are, but having been in the South my whole life, the redneck losers seem to prevail in every corner (except the one i'm in thank god).

I have only lived in "blue" states my whole life...I can't speak for the south...although either way I at least want to be hopefull that they haven't taken over yet.

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2004, 09:43:31 PM »
And your flag is any better? Stars and stripes? Gee that f*cking original. Only half the world's countries have stars or stripes on their flag

Nobody here even mentioned it as most amazing, and if they hold that opinion, who f-ing cares?  Are you the final arbiter on taste?  And if you didn't notice, this was not that serious a thread.

Any maybe we wouldt need to cling to silly symbols like Bacon and Flags if we werent desperately trying to differentiate ourselves from the brutal American empire.

You can't be serious?

BTW, I resent the hoggin of the word "American"... Last time I checked, this whole f*cking continent was called America, not just the CO2 emitting, moron relecting, soverignty disrespecting, resource exploiting, WMD possessing, inequality promoting, Tom Delay loving, United States

News flash: our government was a willing host to American WMDs all those years ago.  Canada was by no means above it.  Please don't get on the moral high horse. 

Canada has one of the worst environmental records of the developed countries, so we do quite well with CO2 and resource exploitation. 

Also, for the record, foregin policy goes a bit beyond Bush.  If Canada had the power to flex its muscle a bit more, it would sure as hell use it.  And in the past it has: Canada is not above war for profit.  This country needs to play multilateral games since that's how it gets strength.  If the UN or even NATO approved the Iraq war, Canada would be first to get in there. 

I love Canada, but let's be realistic:

1) It's no utopia
2) It's not the most egalitarian country in the world

We have kept our "blue (they are reversed here, red=liberal, blue=conservative) provinces" (Alberta) out of power for over ten years... Oh but thats right... Canada hasnt been corrupted by its international power and yet opted for bible thumping fascist leaders.

So you think that the constant democratic deficit that the West faces with every election is a good thing?  Because I sure as hell don't.  Not only that, but our system of voting and elections, while not quite as antiquated as the American one, is not so much better. 

Oh yes. On a more relavent note... in Canada. Ordinary people can actually obtain the resources to attend a top law school...

Whoopie do.  Yes by putting themselves in still massive debt.  The debt is less massive, but still substantial.  Please don't tell me about 'ordinary people.'  I'll be paying my law school debt for a long time to come, so speak for yourself.  You can do the same in US--get a loan.  I actually do think it's a better system here, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's this acessibility is even approaching fair and equal.  Studies have been done, it's not as great as you seem to think it is.

Im sorry for this diatribe, but when people from a country where fascism is in vogue, are calling an international law abiding, tolerant, moderate country a Third Tier Toilet, I am forced to call them on their naked hypocrisy.

International law abiding -- do you know there are terrorist suspects being held in our tolerant country that are just locked up and not awaiting trial?  It's not Guantanamo Bay, but it's like we pretend the problem doesn't exist at all.

Tolerant -- depends of who and where.  And your post doesn't sound very tolerant at all, might I add.

As for fascism and the US, I won't even touch that.  It boggles the mind.

Koga

• K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2004, 09:47:55 PM »
caecilius-

KC is probably a troll from Mississippi who wants to make the people of (anti-Bush) Canada look bad.

KC

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2004, 01:17:07 PM »
And your flag is any better? Stars and stripes? Gee that f*cking original. Only half the world's countries have stars or stripes on their flag

Nobody here even mentioned it as most amazing, and if they hold that opinion, who f-ing cares? Are you the final arbiter on taste? And if you didn't notice, this was not that serious a thread.

Point taken, but if someone took the effort to start this thread, and you all took the time to post on it then its not that unreasonable that I would rebut.  I was simply defending Canada's flag.

Any maybe we wouldt need to cling to silly symbols like Bacon and Flags if we werent desperately trying to differentiate ourselves from the brutal American empire.

You can't be serious?

America is becoming more of an empire (This is common in the literature from the right and left) that spreads its extreme form of capitalism
ex.  Bush's National Security Strategy stating that America will use its role in the world to urge other countries to get rid of regulation and flatten its taxation.
A foreign policy that aims to harm the environment and the poor to benefit rich corporations is IMHO "brutal"
Canada's atttempt to differentiate itself from the US is a deeply embedded part of the Canadian political culture.  This is demonstrated in the literature (I can provide sources if you wish but "this isnt a serious thread" right?)

BTW, I resent the hoggin of the word "American"... Last time I checked, this whole f*cking continent was called America, not just the CO2 emitting, moron relecting, soverignty disrespecting, resource exploiting, WMD possessing, inequality promoting, Tom Delay loving, United States

News flash: our government was a willing host to American WMDs all those years ago. Canada was by no means above it. Please don't get on the moral high horse.

- This point is somewhat true, although the US's WMD stockpile is one of the largest in the world...

Canada has one of the worst environmental records of the developed countries, so we do quite well with CO2 and resource exploitation.

- While Canada has in recent years taken steps to alleviate its past tresspasses in the environment (ex. Kyoto), the US under Bush has gone the other way loosening environmental standards and basically denying the existence of Global warming.

Also, for the record, foregin policy goes a bit beyond Bush. If Canada had the power to flex its muscle a bit more, it would sure as hell use it. And in the past it has: Canada is not above war for profit. This country needs to play multilateral games since that's how it gets strength. If the UN or even NATO approved the Iraq war, Canada would be first to get in there.

- Canada is not the one pursuing a primacist foreign policy, and at least appears somewhat committed to the international order... The US casts it aside when it doesnt suit its narrow self interest.

I love Canada, but let's be realistic:

1) It's no utopia
2) It's not the most egalitarian country in the world

We have kept our "blue (they are reversed here, red=liberal, blue=conservative) provinces" (Alberta) out of power for over ten years... Oh but thats right... Canada hasnt been corrupted by its international power and yet opted for bible thumping fascist leaders.

So you think that the constant democratic deficit that the West faces with every election is a good thing? Because I sure as hell don't. Not only that, but our system of voting and elections, while not quite as antiquated as the American one, is not so much better.

- IF the west had its way we would be socially regressive, fiscally inegalitarian and a patsy of the Bush Administration.  Thank you democratic deficit.

Oh yes. On a more relavent note... in Canada. Ordinary people can actually obtain the resources to attend a top law school...

Whoopie do. Yes by putting themselves in still massive debt. The debt is less massive, but still substantial. Please don't tell me about 'ordinary people.' I'll be paying my law school debt for a long time to come, so speak for yourself. You can do the same in US--get a loan. I actually do think it's a better system here, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's this acessibility is even approaching fair and equal. Studies have been done, it's not as great as you seem to think it is.

- I'll be paying massive debt but at least we have the opportunity to go... At top schools in the US, a survey found that only 3% of its attendees were from the bottom quartile... Canada is certainly better than that. BTW, the Bushies plan to pare back on the US financial assistance program and the Pell grants.

Im sorry for this diatribe, but when people from a country where fascism is in vogue, are calling an international law abiding, tolerant, moderate country a Third Tier Toilet, I am forced to call them on their naked hypocrisy.

International law abiding -- do you know there are terrorist suspects being held in our tolerant country that are just locked up and not awaiting trial? It's not Guantanamo Bay, but it's like we pretend the problem doesn't exist at all.

- Sure, but at least ours were given access to a secret court (I know this isnt much better)

Tolerant -- depends of who and where. And your post doesn't sound very tolerant at all, might I add.

- Canada is in the process of legalizing Gay marriage while the US is moving the other way.  Whose tolerant? And might I remind you that this thread is entitled "Canada is a TTT (Third Tier Toilet) In decline.  How is that tolerant?  I certainly dont think that pointing out America's political warts is "intolerant" in juxtaposition

As for fascism and the US, I won't even touch that. It boggles the mind.

- The Republicans in the US are dominated by an ideology that is empirical, nationalist, morally absolutist, violent, and somewhat totalitarian. I dont think the term "fascism" isnt that far off.

Sorry for screwing up the post/quote thing.

My point was never to paint Canada as some sort of a utopia or moral angel.  But I felt a need to hold up the mirror to those (probably Americans, as this is an overwhelmingly american website) bashing Canada and show them what they consented to on November 2nd... If you arent one of those people who supported Bush, I suggest that you fix what ails your own country before you bash ours.

Oh and I have never been to Mississipi...

DOWNY

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2004, 02:02:53 PM »
I voted for Kerry as did all of my family members.

Explain how we "consented" to Bush.

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2004, 02:36:46 PM »
"America is becoming more of an empire (This is common in the literature from the right and left) that spreads its extreme form of capitalism
ex.  Bush's National Security Strategy stating that America will use its role in the world to urge other countries to get rid of regulation and flatten its taxation.
A foreign policy that aims to harm the environment and the poor to benefit rich corporations is IMHO "brutal"
Canada's atttempt to differentiate itself from the US is a deeply embedded part of the Canadian political culture.  This is demonstrated in the literature (I can provide sources if you wish but "this isnt a serious thread" right?)"

This has been the theme long before Bush, and isn't this what WTO is about--flattening taxation and deregulation too?  Why, yes, I think it is.  For the record, I hate this.  But Canada is a willing partner of the WTO as is much of Western Europe. 

And America's the lone superpower and wants to use it by furthering their own interest.  Wow, this has never been the case before in the history of the world.  It doesn't make it right, but, again, it's not anything new.  Canada's strategy of calculated ambiguity towards US politics is nothing new either, nor have I ever questioned this.  But why does Canada do this?!  Let me suggest it has more to do with the need for multilaterlism than because we're 'nice.'

While Canada has in recent years taken steps to alleviate its past tresspasses in the environment (ex. Kyoto), the US under Bush has gone the other way loosening environmental standards and basically denying the existence of Global warming.

Yes, US's record is by no means good and is actually one of the main reasons why I think Democrats are 'better.'  As for Kyoto, Canada so far hasn't done much about alleviating at all.  Stephane Dion's interviews are just painful to watch--he has no idea how this Kyoto thing is going to work.  The government isn't trying very hard even now, and we still rank as one of the biggest environmental abusers in the world.  Especially bad for a country that brands so much of its identity on nature.

Canada is not the one pursuing a primacist foreign policy, and at least appears somewhat committed to the international order... The US casts it aside when it doesnt suit its narrow self interest.

Canada has little choice.  And international might doesn't make right either.

IF the west had its way we would be socially regressive, fiscally inegalitarian and a patsy of the Bush Administration.  Thank you democratic deficit.

Have you ever honestly been to Alberta?  That's simply not the level of debate.  Alberta's a hotbed of conservatism in this country, and yet inequality in the province isn't particularily noted from Liberal's Ontario, or even NDP's Manitoba.  It's hardly THAT different.  And, nobody is saying Alberta needs to rule this country.  Democratic deficit is never good.  There's a reason Alberta is not particularily fond of Ontario, and this reason isn't just because they're conservative knownothings.

I'll be paying massive debt but at least we have the opportunity to go... At top schools in the US, a survey found that only 3% of its attendees were from the bottom quartile... Canada is certainly better than that. BTW, the Bushies plan to pare back on the US financial assistance program and the Pell grants.

Is this law school, or undergraduate?  Students from families who earn less than $40000 make up 15%of any school's undergraduate program in Canada in 2000(excluding medicine and law; here it would be much less).  Also, the this number is declining so fast that it's probably less now seeing as how the number went from 22.6% to 15% between 1997 and 2000.  In THREE YEARS!  That's shameful if you ask me and hardly something to be proud of.  And Martin's big idea?  Offer more loans and invest into education sooner.  Wow, how fair.  I find it interesting that you bring the Pell Grants into this equation because Canada doesn't have grants at all; one of only two developed countries not to!

Yes, the system in US is more elitist because schools are tiered for everything, but if you took all the schools as a whole, I doubt it would be that much less than 15%. 

Sure, but at least ours were given access to a secret court (I know this isnt much better)

Well, you're right.  It isn't much better at all.  Possibly worse because it gives the perception that justice is being done.  No it isn't.

The Republicans in the US are dominated by an ideology that is empirical, nationalist, morally absolutist, violent, and somewhat totalitarian. I dont think the term "fascism" isnt that far off.

I think the comparison is out to lunch myself. 

If you arent one of those people who supported Bush, I suggest that you fix what ails your own country before you bash ours.

I agree, except: why is it okay to bash United States, but not the other way around?  I see US bashing going on in Canada from time to time.  There's a difference between pointing out faults, but some people are gung ho haters.  It's by no means one sided.

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2020, 12:40:51 AM »
It's good that I found this discussion. I would like to look at the faces of those guys who said that Canada is losing to the United States in economic development. If you look now you will see that the economic climate is much healthier here. This attracts investments in many areas. My friend graduated from MBA and opened a restaurant in Toronto)) It took less time and bureaucracy than a coffee pavilion in New York.

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2020, 02:21:53 AM »
It's good that I found this discussion. I would like to look at the faces of those guys who said that Canada is losing to the United States in economic development. If you look now you will see that the economic climate is much healthier here. This attracts investments in many areas. My friend graduated from MBA and opened a restaurant in Toronto)) It took less time and bureaucracy than a coffee pavilion in New York.
[/quote]

This was a bit unexpected. I love the Canadian vibe too so I'll add my two cents here. You are correct that small businesses in Canada have a preference for registration. However, being a restaurateur is not so easy now. You have to go for various tricks. Here, check out these new technologies. Businessmen are looking for smaller premises for their cafes and are moving. It is easy to do now when there are many offers on the market at delicious prices. Many people add tables outside to avoid being subject to restrictions.  I personally liked the fact that many establishments switched to delivery.  I believe that everything will return to normal closer to autumn.