Law School Discussion

What Would G. W. Bush Score on the LSAT?

gobears

Re: What Would G. W. Bush Score on the LSAT?
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2004, 02:05:54 PM »
For what it's worth:

Is George W. Bush stupid? We have pretty good data here. In 1999 the NewYorker obtained a copy of the future president's Yale transcript and revealed that he'd had a C average in college and, more interestingly, scored 1206 on his Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)--566 on the verbal and 640 on the math. 

To find out how this score stacked up, I called Educational Testing Service, publisher of the SAT, and learned that in 1994, SAT scores had been "re-centered." To offset the steady downward drift of test scores over the years, the scoring scale was adjusted upward so that the mean score for both math and verbal was again 500 (the midpoint on a scale of 200 to 800). Those who took the test before 1994 are now entitled to add a prescribed amount to their scores to see how they compare to students today. Having made the necessary adjustment, Little Ed announced, "I got 800 on my verbal! I'm a direct beneficiary of the stupidity of the American public!" Doing the same for Bush gives him 640 on both verbal and math, good enough for 88th percentile on the verbal and 86th in math were he entering college now. Those scores may not be as high as mine, of course, or even Al Gore's (625 verbal, 730 math unadjusted), but they ain't bad. 

Then again, I recall having seen a college guide circa 1970 that listed the average SAT for Yale freshmen as about 670 in verbal, 705 in math. So Bush was well below average for his class. He must have written a great essay.

Source: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010622.html

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2004, 02:09:13 PM »
so scores really weren't in multiples of 10 back then?

but it was in 10's by the time that saved by the bell episode came out, where jesse got a 1500, and zach beat here with 1502.  that always bothered me :)

gobears

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2004, 02:11:25 PM »
And to be fair here's one for Kerry, too:

Soxblog asks (via Kausfiles) is John Kerry really so smart? I have to admit, like Soxblog, I've been wondering why Kerry went to Boston College Law School. Since he was rich, it can't have been the lure of a free ride. You would think, with his anti-war activism, he would have been a very attractive candidate for admission to Harvard (or another top-ranked law school) if only his LSAT and GPA were at all within range. No offense to Boston College, of course. I think it's similar to attending my school, the University of Wisconsin Law School. And the point is, he had an extremely admirable personal story and record of activism, as well as the ability to pay his way, so he could have gotten into Boston College with numbers well below those of the average students.

We keep hearing about Kerry's ability to deal with "nuance" and "complexity," but could it be that this is spin, and the truth is he actually doesn't think clearly? We know he doesn't speak clearly: he can't get to the point, and he often strays off-topic. We keep hearing that he's "thoughtful," implying that he takes a long time to think things through. Another way of putting that is that he's slow.

There has been so much talk about how dumb Bush supposedly is, that it's surely fair to ask about Kerry's mental capacity. What were his undergraduate and law school GPAs? What was his LSAT score? If we don't hear the answer, I think, we ought to assume the numbers are fairly low.

Source: http://althouse.blogspot.com/2004/08/is-kerry-smart-was-kerry-w_109173381381332342.html

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2004, 02:15:42 PM »
i searched for "'John Kerry' LSAT" on google, and the second result is a post by Zap on LSD :)

gobears

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2004, 02:54:53 PM »
i searched for "'John Kerry' LSAT" on google, and the second result is a post by Zap on LSD :)

LOL, that's just too funny!  Does this mean that LSD is like actually turning out to be a helpful resource for info or something? ;)

Butch

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2004, 04:54:07 PM »
I think everyone is forgtting an important thing...that for the most part, everyone taking the LSAT is really smart, as is every one in law sschool.  We're talking cream of the crop.  If *every* person in the US took the LSAT, then the scoring would be much different.

You could have a group of 100 Einsteins and they'd HAVE to be ranked in order. That doesnt mean Enstein #75-100 are stupid, no, they are Einsteins!  But, they just fell in the bottom amongst other Einsteins.

Javert

• Time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2004, 08:59:44 PM »
I think everyone is forgtting an important thing...that for the most part, everyone taking the LSAT is really smart, as is every one in law sschool.

Um.... no.

I agree that the scoring would be different if everybody took it-- how could it not be?-- but the assumption that going to law school or taking the LSAT makes you smart is ludicrious. For that matter, you could get a 180 on the LSAT, and all it would prove is that you're intelligent in a narrow, artificial way. The LSAT only measures your ability to take the LSAT.... and plenty of morons are lawyers. Trust me.

BAFF213

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2004, 09:56:46 PM »
I think everyone is forgtting an important thing...that for the most part, everyone taking the LSAT is really smart, as is every one in law sschool.

Um.... no.

I agree that the scoring would be different if everybody took it-- how could it not be?-- but the assumption that going to law school or taking the LSAT makes you smart is ludicrious. For that matter, you could get a 180 on the LSAT, and all it would prove is that you're intelligent in a narrow, artificial way. The LSAT only measures your ability to take the LSAT.... and plenty of morons are lawyers. Trust me.

He/she didn't say "going to law school or taking the LSAT makes you smart", he/she said that everyone taking the LSAT IS smart.

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2004, 09:57:55 PM »
Bush 164
Kerry 172

BAFF213

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2004, 10:04:06 PM »
Bush 164
Kerry 172

If Kerry would score a 172 then why did he go to BC Law?