Law School Discussion

Poll

yay or nay?  yes, this is heteronormative, i know i know.

a. yay
46 (74.2%)
b. nay
16 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Girl taking guy's last name after marriage

Re: Girl taking guy's last name after marriage
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »
It'd be nice to have a discussion board where you could debate stuff without pretty significant ideological preconceptions. I mean XOXO is obviously way worse in it's conservative bias, but this place sometimes feels like it's approaching "kill whitey" status.

Dude, just be glad you haven't tangled with the Captain, Miss P, or red.

Honest.

:(  am I not good enough?

(ok, I'm not, I know)

« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »
It'd be nice to have a discussion board where you could debate stuff without pretty significant ideological preconceptions. I mean XOXO is obviously way worse in it's conservative bias, but this place sometimes feels like it's approaching "kill whitey" status.

Honest.

(ok, I'm not, I know)

Quite the contrary.  You're so frikkin' fun to read, I find it hard to even playfully disagree with you.  You and Dash made my day today.  I even think it's possible that, if you or Dash chose to hyphenate your names, it wouldn't just be pretentious.  (You do have to admit that for many people they just do it 'cause they're dorks.)

Elephant Lee

• Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2008, 08:41:48 PM »
Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but did anyone challenge the idea that children are potentially confused by hyphenated names or whatever? There are plenty of people out there with hyphenated names. Anecdotally, has anyone noticed that they have particular identity issues?

Well, I just said that the parents are dorks.  Does that count?  I really don't care if the kids are confused.  They're going to get their asses kicked so much, they won't be talking much.  Nobody will ever know if they're confused.
The only kid I went to school with that had a hyphenated name was really smart and played volleyball at an ivy league school. I don't remember her getting beat up.

It was someone else who had the confused bit.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »
cady, you're taking my last name right?

of course.

Are we moving to Utah?

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 10, 2008, 08:47:33 PM »

Honest.

(ok, I'm not, I know)

No no, dear - you've been masterful in this (and the other) thread.

But dude's talking about raging leftie lunatics with agendas that never relent and, well...

« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »
Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but did anyone challenge the idea that children are potentially confused by hyphenated names or whatever? There are plenty of people out there with hyphenated names. Anecdotally, has anyone noticed that they have particular identity issues?

Well, I just said that the parents are dorks.  Does that count?  I really don't care if the kids are confused.  They're going to get their asses kicked so much, they won't be talking much.  Nobody will ever know if they're confused.
The only kid I went to school with that had a hyphenated name was really smart and played volleyball at an ivy league school. I don't remember her getting beat up.

It was someone else who had the confused bit.

There is no way that person did not receive significant ass-beatings. 

« Reply #296 on: April 10, 2008, 08:53:25 PM »

Honest.

(ok, I'm not, I know)

Quite the contrary.  You're so frikkin' fun to read, I find it hard to even playfully disagree with you.  You and Dash made my day today.  I even think it's possible that, if you or Dash chose to hyphenate your names, it wouldn't just be pretentious.  (You do have to admit that for many people they just do it 'cause they're dorks.)

why thank you

I totally wasn't fishing for compliments, for the record ;)

Except from t...

No no, dear - you've been masterful in this (and the other) thread.

But dude's talking about raging leftie lunatics with agendas that never relent and, well...

:-*

True enough.

cady, you're taking my last name right?

of course.

Are we moving to Utah?

I was thinking Arizona.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 10, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »

There's a difference between people killing each other, and the development and eventual primacy of patriarchy, which, it is theorized (in at least one major theoretical framework) originates, in part, from the wide-scale domestication of animals.  Other than llamas and guinea pigs, there wasn't a lot of domestication going on in the Western Hemisphere, and, hence, patriarchy as we know it, appears to have failed to develop, at least until after introduction in 1492.  But we're now talking the basis of gender anthro in the New World, which, while pretty much in its infancy back when I was involved in the '90s, has blossomed to the point the many men (egads!) now support the evil framework, and thus could fill many courses, let alone threads here at LSD.  We probably really don't want to go there.

However, when I use the term egalitarian when talking about gender vis-a-vis Old World and New, it references equality between sexes and/or genders, not class issues.

Let me separate the issues for a moment.  I think matriarchy might be better than patriarchy, though (as was stated earlier in this thread) I would prefer to do without either.  If some sort of asexual alien invaders come and take over the Earth, that might settle things for us.

Matriarchy and patriarchy are not two sides of the same coin.  Patriarchy subjugates non-males, reducing their power; matriarchy asserts that women have equal status and power, though they might have different gender roles from men.

However, though I understand (at least in a limited way) why you make pro-Native American arguments, I think they are sometimes overdone.  If human life started in Africa, and the Native Americans wandered over here at some point (from Asia, possibly via Beringia), aren't they immigrants as well (though certainly earlier than the Europeans)?  Some of the arguments, though generally valid, tend towards ethnocentrism.  I'm not going to even try to quantify which races are the most violent, which are more egalitarian, etc.  They all developed under different circumstances, so comparing them more than superficially is, though short of pointless, at least frustrating.

That felt a little condescending, but I'll overlook it (and not be so sensitive.)  My original post was half joking, a means to point out that the patriarchy which allowed the mass execution of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of women in Europe was rather culture-specific - I was in fact gently chiding your for your Eurocentricism.  Hence the closing emoticon.

Are NDNs immigrants?  Maybe (see Vine Deloria), though when (sites in SA dating to 40KBP, Beringia to 14KBP) isn't certain.  Clearly long before "civilization" of any kind, and long before most groups were permanently established anywhere else around the globe.  If we're immigrants, so are everyone else, and thus no one has a claim to nationhood.  And I don't really ever argue who was more this or that, because, frankly, over both time and space, everything is constantly changing (though we won't talk about how NDNs are expected, in order to be viewed as "authentic", to be static, unchanged from 1491.  In Canada, it's the law.)  However, patriarchy, along with animal domestication, dual-host pathogens, wheat, steel, etc., appear to have been generally missing throughout much of the Western Hemisphere, as far as we can detect.  Of course, many Processualist archaeologists will argue it can never be detected.  I just happen to be a Post-Processualist. ;)

« Reply #298 on: April 10, 2008, 09:08:48 PM »

There's a difference between people killing each other, and the development and eventual primacy of patriarchy, which, it is theorized (in at least one major theoretical framework) originates, in part, from the wide-scale domestication of animals.  Other than llamas and guinea pigs, there wasn't a lot of domestication going on in the Western Hemisphere, and, hence, patriarchy as we know it, appears to have failed to develop, at least until after introduction in 1492.  But we're now talking the basis of gender anthro in the New World, which, while pretty much in its infancy back when I was involved in the '90s, has blossomed to the point the many men (egads!) now support the evil framework, and thus could fill many courses, let alone threads here at LSD.  We probably really don't want to go there.

However, when I use the term egalitarian when talking about gender vis-a-vis Old World and New, it references equality between sexes and/or genders, not class issues.

Let me separate the issues for a moment.  I think matriarchy might be better than patriarchy, though (as was stated earlier in this thread) I would prefer to do without either.  If some sort of asexual alien invaders come and take over the Earth, that might settle things for us.

Matriarchy and patriarchy are not two sides of the same coin.  Patriarchy subjugates non-males, reducing their power; matriarchy asserts that women have equal status and power, though they might have different gender roles from men.

However, though I understand (at least in a limited way) why you make pro-Native American arguments, I think they are sometimes overdone.  If human life started in Africa, and the Native Americans wandered over here at some point (from Asia, possibly via Beringia), aren't they immigrants as well (though certainly earlier than the Europeans)?  Some of the arguments, though generally valid, tend towards ethnocentrism.  I'm not going to even try to quantify which races are the most violent, which are more egalitarian, etc.  They all developed under different circumstances, so comparing them more than superficially is, though short of pointless, at least frustrating.

That felt a little condescending, but I'll overlook it (and not be so sensitive.)  My original post was half joking, a means to point out that the patriarchy which allowed the mass execution of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of women in Europe was rather culture-specific - I was in fact gently chiding your for your Eurocentricism.  Hence the closing emoticon.

Are NDNs immigrants?  Maybe (see Vine Deloria), though when (sites in SA dating to 40KBP, Beringia to 14KBP) isn't certain.  Clearly long before "civilization" of any kind, and long before most groups were permanently established anywhere else around the globe.  If we're immigrants, so are everyone else, and thus no one has a claim to nationhood.  And I don't really ever argue who was more this or that, because, frankly, over both time and space, everything is constantly changing (though we won't talk about how NDNs are expected, in order to be viewed as "authentic", to be static, unchanged from 1491.  In Canada, it's the law.)  However, patriarchy, along with animal domestication, dual-host pathogens, wheat, steel, etc., appear to have been generally missing throughout much of the Western Hemisphere, as far as we can detect.  Of course, many Processualist archaeologists will argue it can never be detected.  I just happen to be a Post-Processualist. ;)

I am certainly not going to say that men and women are equal (though I will leave it to you to decide, or discover, which gender I believe to be "superior"). 

I wasn't trying to sound (or be) condescending, so if I did (or was) I apologize.  I agree with most of what you say, and very often support your positions, but I thought you at least oversimplified that one.  People, not races, are brutal and oppressive--certainly not all of them, but also not exclusively one group of them.

« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2008, 09:16:19 PM »
I just happen to be a Post-Processualist. ;)

As long as you admit it.   :o