Law School Discussion

Poll

yay or nay?  yes, this is heteronormative, i know i know.

a. yay
46 (74.2%)
b. nay
16 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Girl taking guy's last name after marriage

Re: Girl taking guy's last name after marriage
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2008, 12:28:37 PM »
Dear Rambis,

I think I like you.

Is there a reason I shouldn't?

Love,

Cady

Dear Cady,

I'm a bit of a womanizer who likes short-term solutions until the long-term one comes along. Is that going to be a problem?

Love,

Kurt

Dear Kurt,

I'm glad we're on a first name basis now. I enjoy short-term solutions. I think we'll be fine.

Love,

Cady

« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2008, 12:29:57 PM »
Jesus told me women are better nurturers? Is that was just happened here?

« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »
As to the a-hole with the palm tree 'tar and the sister he's ashamed of: You say she made mistakes, I translated this to you thinking she screwed up. Tomato, tomato.

I never said she made mistakes. You should try reading my posts more slowly. It is not in there. Not once.

My bad, you said her situation was less than ideal. Like I said, I'm sure she really appreciates your pronouncements on the idealness (or not) of her situation.

See previous posts.

This is useless. I feel stupid for even getting sucked in to argueing with you. You seem unable to keep up.

You see previous posts. This time I used your words precisely, and I submitted that perhaps your opinions on your sister's life aren't being as well-received as you think they are, because frankly, they're rather judgmental. Just something to consider. If I were her, I'd imagine I'd resent your having such certainty about the quality of my situation.

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »
Sometimes I do adjust my opinions based on new perspectives I get. 
But I'm still sticking to my guns on some things.

1: Women don't  "Belong" only in the home, but I believe that the traditional roles work very well
2: Giving birth to, and responsibly raising children is the most noble thing a woman can do.
3: There are natural differences between men and women that make women better at nurturing.  These absolutes are prevalent in studies of evolution or religion
4: Good mothers and fathers are our best line of defense against many of societies major problems.

lol

« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »
4: Good mothers and fathers are our best line of defense against many of society's major problems.

But how do you feel about puppies and unicorns?

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »
Cady!
Which of my four statements to you disagree with?  Why do you disagree with me?  If My statements aren't true, what are the true alternatives.
Please don't label me as a religious zealot or a sexist just to get around the argument.

« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2008, 12:33:15 PM »
Sometimes I do adjust my opinions based on new perspectives I get. 
But I'm still sticking to my guns on some things.

1: Women don't  "Belong" only in the home, but I believe that the traditional roles work very well
2: Giving birth to, and responsibly raising children is the most noble thing a woman can do.
3: There are natural differences between men and women that make women better at nurturing.  These absolutes are prevalent in studies of evolution or religion
4: Good mothers and fathers are our best line of defense against many of societies major problems.

What's the most noble thing a man can do?

What if a woman saves the entire world, but as a result, cannot give birth to and responsibly raise a child? Is she less noble now?

mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »

What if a woman saves the entire world, but as a result, cannot give birth to and responsibly raise a child? Is she less noble now?

yes

she actually failed at life.  kill self.

« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2008, 12:36:08 PM »
Cady!
Which of my four statements to you disagree with?  Why do you disagree with me?  If My statements aren't true, what are the true alternatives.
Please don't label me as a religious zealot or a sexist just to get around the argument.

Your capitalization is funny. This has struck me throughout this conversation. See your capitalization of "My" in the quoted post. See also capitalization of father but not mother, supra.

I disagree with 1, 3, and sort of 2.

mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »

yes

she actually failed at life.  kill self.

assuming you believe that the purpose of life is to ensure the survival of one's genetic composition.

i assume this and that's why i don't help anyone who doesn't share my genes unless it eventually benefits me or my genes.

yup.

this standard is not outside of possibility.