Law School Discussion

UC DAVIS Drops to 44 2009 US News

UC DAVIS Drops to 44 2009 US News
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
How much should we care about this? Now its a full 14 schools below Univ of Washington - how much do you guys think I should factor this into my decision?

Re: UC DAVIS Drops to 44 2009 US News
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
Do you want to practice in California or in Washington. It's pretty simple, really.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:49:54 PM »
Do you want to practice in California or in Washington. It's pretty simple, really.

exactly.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:27:33 PM »
Geography is far less important to me than the quality of job choices I will have afterwards. It seems like Univ of Washington might have Seattle cornered whereas I worry that UC Davis wont be as impressive in California. That is, a job with a big firm and potential for lots of growth may be greater in WA especially now that the disparity between Davis and other CA firms is bigger. I'm wondering if this is the correct assumption.

If I'm at the top of my class at Davis will that have the same weight in Cali as top of class at UW will have in WA?

Does that make more sense?

Also, why on earth would a school drop so much in one year? Seems odd to me.   ???

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:30:46 AM »
Dare I say quasi-Washington trolling?

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:04:18 AM »
USNEWS prints magazines to make money.  Base your decision on NALP distribution, the Ciolli report, searching local firms for placement within communities you want to live in, and school visits.  UC Davis didnt become a worse school, it was shaken up to elicit the same reaction that you are feeling...and to make you wait for next years rankings to see if Davis can climb back up to the top.

Do you think a Davis alumni from '99 who may be a senior associate hiring you will care if the school is ranked 44 or 39 in 2012-13 when you have an interview?

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:21:38 AM »
Geography is far less important to me than the quality of job choices I will have afterwards. It seems like Univ of Washington might have Seattle cornered whereas I worry that UC Davis wont be as impressive in California. That is, a job with a big firm and potential for lots of growth may be greater in WA especially now that the disparity between Davis and other CA firms is bigger. I'm wondering if this is the correct assumption.

If I'm at the top of my class at Davis will that have the same weight in Cali as top of class at UW will have in WA?

Does that make more sense?

Also, why on earth would a school drop so much in one year? Seems odd to me.   ???

I think the question(s) you should be asking yourself rather is "What if I'm at the median in my class? What if I'm in the bottom third?"

I'm sure being at the top of your class at either school will net you great job opportunities.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:30:13 PM »
How much should we care about this? Now its a full 14 schools below Univ of Washington - how much do you guys think I should factor this into my decision?

Should not factor into your decision at all.  Even if you think rankings are important, the 44 this year has almost no relationship to what rank the school will have when you graduate, if you decide to go there.  Over the last 11 years, the school had bounced around between 29 and 41.  The last time is was ranked in the 40s, students who entered that year graduated from the 31st ranked school.

Paying attention to this drop is like weighing yourself two days in a row, finding a slightly higher weight the second day, and concluding that you're getting fat.  The ratings are largely static over the long haul.

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »
US News can only make money if their rankings change slightly year to year.  A drop of 10 is exactly the kind of controversy that sells more mags.   Honestly, nobody that matters gives a rat f**k about the rankings change.  Schools have certain levels of perceived prestige, and that can't be changed in a year.  Davis is what it is.  If you want NorCal, go to Davis.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »
Take a step back for a second. Since when is US News and World Report the first magazine you turn to for current events? Put it up against The Economist, or even Newsweek, and it pales in comparison. I see no reason why anyone should take stock in their ratings. I believe US News produces them as a way to get their name out there, just to remind you that they also have a news magazine.

The way you should rate schools is by looking at the quality of the student body and national or regional prestige/name recognition depending on where you would like to practice. Beyond this, you should visit the schools to see if you can work well under such a setting, and also look for any highlights/specialties that appeal to you.