Law School Discussion

HELP! USF/UC Hastings/USD???

HELP! USF/UC Hastings/USD???
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »
OK...my dilemma is this... I have been accepted to Hastings, but no scholarship at this point (waiting on a letter), and I hear they dont give much scholarship money.

I've also been accepted to USF, with a very decent amount of money.

USD has offered me the most money of the three, but I think I'd rather live in SF because I am LGBT and want to work for equal rights - what better place than San Fran right?

Hmmmmm...any advice would be helpful!?

Re: HELP! USF/UC Hastings/USD???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »
Hastings.  Don't use discount materials when constructing your educational investment.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:56 PM »
OK...my dilemma is this... I have been accepted to Hastings, but no scholarship at this point (waiting on a letter), and I hear they dont give much scholarship money.

USD has offered me the most money of the three, but I think I'd rather live in SF because I am LGBT and want to work for equal rights - what better place than San Fran right?

Hastings is the best school for sure and would set you up the best for SF. While Hastings employment can get spotty outside top 1/3, USF and USD are worse. How much did USD offer you? 

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »
USD offered $87,000

USF $75,000

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »
Why don't you ask Hastings for money? Write a letter to them saying that these other schools have offered you money. And if they were to give you money then you would accept their offer unconditionally.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 10:36:15 AM »

Well, if you are certain you want to work for gay rights - you should consider the scholarships.

The nonprofits you hope to work for do care about prestige, but not half as much as they care about dedication to the cause.  You will have to bust your ass, but you can get the job you seek from one of the non-Hastings schools.

What kind of requirements have been put on the scholarship?

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »
USD is a very conservative campus.  Not that their law school is institutionally conservative, just that their student body (primarily their UG student body) tends to come from the Moral Majority.

That being said, San Diego has a great GLBT community.  Hillcrest (not too far from USD) is a mecca for the non-straight.  There are many GLBT attorneys in San Diego who are involved in the community as well. 

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 07:45:51 PM »
Hastings.  Easy decision.

First of all, Hastings gives something like 80% of the students grants (need based, so if you had a high paying job last year you might be sol, but could get it your 2L and 3L year).  The grants are usually about 5-6k/year.  Assuming you get in state tuition (which, I believe is roughly 10k less than most private schools) you're looking at roughly saving 15k per year for Hastings.  That is not counting any other need based/merit scholarships you might get (although those are rare).  Also, consider terms of other scholarships.  Almost always they require a certain class ranking or GPA.  Do not assume you will keep it.  Some schools will require top 1/3, but give scholarships to more than 1/3 the incoming students... do the math.

Also, Hastings has a VERY good debt repayment program if you end up going into public interest or such (along with a very strong public interest focus).

I know you didn't mention it, but someone will soon, so I want to dispel the rumor now.  Hastings is NOT a "super competitive school."  I am a 1L here and have experienced none of the horror stories people like to talk about.  They're just that, stories.

PM me if you want any more details or have any more questions.

El_Che

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 08:12:49 PM »
I'll second the Hastings idea.

El_Che

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »
I'll second the Hastings idea.