Law School Discussion

UC Hastings v US Davis

UC Hastings v US Davis
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »
So I've narrowed my list down to Davis and Hastings after figuring out that I want to practice in San Francisco after law school. I am really torn between these 2 schools though. I know Hastings places much better at big firms (like Morrison Foerster - which is a firm I would really love to work at). I also know that the environment there is more competitive than average. But I know that Davis also places relatively well too. I just visited their campus and loved it. Seems like the quality of life there will really be a lot better. I was leaning towards Davis as a result but I'm still hung up on Hastings reputation within San Francisco. Any advice and feedback would be welcome.

Re: UC Hastings v US Davis
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »
So I've narrowed my list down to Davis and Hastings after figuring out that I want to practice in San Francisco after law school. I am really torn between these 2 schools though. I know Hastings places much better at big firms (like Morrison Foerster - which is a firm I would really love to work at). I also know that the environment there is more competitive than average. But I know that Davis also places relatively well too. I just visited their campus and loved it. Seems like the quality of life there will really be a lot better. I was leaning towards Davis as a result but I'm still hung up on Hastings reputation within San Francisco. Any advice and feedback would be welcome.

I think you about nailed it. Similar schools and similar employment prospects with Hastings having an edge in San Fran.

Is the cost the same for both?

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:51:55 PM »
You're right, both schools place well in California with Davis having an edge in Sacramento and Hastings having an edge in San Francisco.  You are incorrect, however, that the environment at Hastings is more competitive than other law schools, including Davis.  That may have been true at one time (90's?), but not anymore.  If you want to work in SF both schools will work well, but Hastings does have an edge... not to mention a larger and stronger alumni network nationwide.  I cannot stress enough that Hastings is not a hotbed for competitive gunners types.. that is simply misguided lore from another era.

Evaluate both schools based on employment prospects upon graduation and opportunities while enrolled.

PM me if you have any questions!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »
how many of these threads does there have to be?

for PI and government, i would rate them about the same.

for biglaw, i would give the edge to UC Hastings.

for prestige, i would give the edge to UC Hastings.

for environment, it would depend on whether you prefer the city (UC Hastings) or a more suburban environment (Davis).

for out-of-state employment, i would give the edge to UC Hastings.

for alumni, i would give the edge to UC Hastings.

with all that said, i know people from both who are doing great in CA so you have two very good options.

good luck.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:42:11 PM »
how many of these threads does there have to be?

for PI and government, i would rate them about the same.

for biglaw, i would give the edge to UC Hastings.

for prestige, i would give the edge to UC Hastings.

for environment, it would depend on whether you prefer the city (UC Hastings) or a more suburban environment (Davis).

for out-of-state employment, i would give the edge to UC Hastings.

for alumni, i would give the edge to UC Hastings.

with all that said, i know people from both who are doing great in CA so you have two very good options.

good luck.

well said.  I'm referring people to your post from now on.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 01:20:43 AM »
If I get into Davis I'll probably still go to Hastings, where I've already been admitted. Over the course of the last few days I've gone from terrified that Hastings is hyper competitive to realizing that all schools are competitive to an extent and there are bigger considerations to worry aout. Plus HastingsOneL was so adamant about the school being fun.

Glad to hear you are looking at law school from multiple viewpoints!

It's true: we've got a solid foundation of quality students, student organizations, and cool *&^% to do.  My offer to show you around the school is still on the table assuming you are in the area.  I believe the office of admissions has tours as well... also there is an admitted student day coming up in a few weeks that will have tours available.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 07:18:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies. HastingsOneL - do you live in the tower? If so, how's that scene? Where do people usually go out and have fun when not studying?

You think it'd be an easy decision to make between the 2 school environments but -- I love the city of SF and I loved the Davis campus (and I also enjoy having a car). Also, if you're not from the area, is it easy to meet other non-Hastings people around SF? Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:57 AM »
My exGF (with whom I am still great friends) went to Davis and loved it there.  I visited her there a few times and had a blast.  Everyone was laid back and friendly, but still bright and hardworking. 

If life hadn't stuck me in San Diego (way to get engaged right before law school, eh?) I would have gone to Davis.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 12:39:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies. HastingsOneL - do you live in the tower? If so, how's that scene? Where do people usually go out and have fun when not studying?

You think it'd be an easy decision to make between the 2 school environments but -- I love the city of SF and I loved the Davis campus (and I also enjoy having a car). Also, if you're not from the area, is it easy to meet other non-Hastings people around SF? Thanks.

I do not live in the tower, but many of my friends do live in the tower and they enjoy being so close to the classrooms.  Some of the students that were not used to city streets at night did complain that it took them a week or so to acclimate, but now they don't notice anything. As for going out we are only a few steps from the underground MUNI system so they are able to go just about anywhere; bus stops are similarly close.  The Mission seems to be a popular spot.

As for meeting new people outside the Hastings environment, that depends on where you live (tower, off-campus SF, off-campus east bay) and how much time you want to put into finding new people.  Law school does consume a large chunk of your day and I think most students hang out with other students.  As the class is rather large you will probably find several social circles that meet various expectations of school/life balance; I know I did.  That said, I spent more time last semester hanging out with non-Hastings friends from my undergrad days than I spent hanging out with classmates.  Go figure.