Law School Discussion

Columbia Law School Class of 2011

Re: Columbia Law School Class of 2011
« Reply #420 on: July 07, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »
Meredith just posted the key piece of info on the Admit forum...we have to log in using the general username for all admits, not our own personal info.

aporia

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 07, 2008, 02:15:10 PM »
I just RSVPed for the Community Service Day on Friday, August 8 and the Staten Island Yankees Game on Sunday, August 10.  Anyone else going to these events?

« Reply #422 on: July 07, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
Definitely the Yankee game.  Not sure about the community service day.  Still struggling with what that says about me as a person.

aporia

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 07, 2008, 06:16:38 PM »
Definitely the Yankee game.  Not sure about the community service day.  Still struggling with what that says about me as a person.

Did you miss the part of the email that said that if you skip this event, you're a horrible person?   ;)

C'mon, sign up for it.  We'll have a good time doing whatever it is that they've got planned.

ghil04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #424 on: July 08, 2008, 02:20:42 AM »
Wow, I just spent the past hour reading through this entire thread and am amazed at how liberally people dispense advice without any motivations for personal gain.  It truly gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside :).  Looking forward to joining y'all soon!

Anyways, hate to join the parade a bit late but is the f/b 2011 group through invite only? 

« Reply #425 on: July 08, 2008, 05:47:13 AM »
So sorry to miss all the alcohol...

discussion, that is... but I just want to chip in that there are plenty of legitimate reasons other than "recovering alcoholic" not to drink, and I and most of the people I know aren't going to assume the worst about you if you don't.  It is true that reasonable social drinking will work to your advantage, but the take-home lesson: drink as much or as little as you want.  There are enough pressures to conform already.

Don't get too excited about all the advice.  There's a sizable dose of self-congratulation and ego-stroking mixed in with genuine helpfulness here, even if you fresh-faced 0Ls don't recognize it for what it is yet :-)  You'll find a lot of both here.

We didn't have a community service event or a baseball game last year.  I can tell you which one I would have felt better doing after nearly passing out from the heat and humidity on my move-in day (no a/c?  BRING A FAN), but it'd make me look bad. 

Everything that's been said about legal methods is true... except for the poor people with the hard section last year.  Even he didn't end up getting to fail those he wanted to--somebody at CLS is protecting the Sanctity of Legal Methods.

« Reply #426 on: July 08, 2008, 07:03:42 AM »
So sorry to miss all the alcohol...

discussion, that is... but I just want to chip in that there are plenty of legitimate reasons other than "recovering alcoholic" not to drink, and I and most of the people I know aren't going to assume the worst about you if you don't.  It is true that reasonable social drinking will work to your advantage, but the take-home lesson: drink as much or as little as you want.  There are enough pressures to conform already.

Don't get too excited about all the advice.  There's a sizable dose of self-congratulation and ego-stroking mixed in with genuine helpfulness here, even if you fresh-faced 0Ls don't recognize it for what it is yet :-)  You'll find a lot of both here.

We didn't have a community service event or a baseball game last year.  I can tell you which one I would have felt better doing after nearly passing out from the heat and humidity on my move-in day (no a/c?  BRING A FAN), but it'd make me look bad. 

Everything that's been said about legal methods is true... except for the poor people with the hard section last year.  Even he didn't up getting to fail those he wanted to--somebody at CLS is protecting the Sanctity of Legal Methods.

The bolded is KEY! You definitely need a fan (which I'd go with if you are paying ur own utilities). I suggest getting a blizzard fan, they work REALLY well.

Oh yea...Strauss' section of legal methods...tsk.  I heard that a lot of people failed because they didn't LISTEN to precise instructions that he gave about the way to cite cases and format the questions.

« Reply #427 on: July 08, 2008, 08:47:25 AM »
I just RSVPed for the Community Service Day on Friday, August 8 and the Staten Island Yankees Game on Sunday, August 10.  Anyone else going to these events?

i'm probably going to go to the baseball game, but not the community service day. i'm moving in august 6, and my parents are flying with me to help and just to see the school and everything. they've never been to new york so we're going to try to make it into a mini trip too, so i don't think i'm going to ditch them that friday.

but yeah i can't believe it's coming up so soon! i'm starting to get nervous for all the big changes, but i'm mostly excited.

Uptown *2*L

• I speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 08, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
(no a/c?  BRING A FAN), but it'd make me look bad. 

If you have never spent a summer at sea level East of the Mississippi or in Texas, then you should probably plan on buying a window A/C pretty much as soon as you arrive. If you have spent such a summer, then you know the risk that you assume, and if you don't buy one well then I pretty much think you're crazy.

Home Depot will deliver, as will Costco.com (you don't need a membership to order on-line), and I think Amazon sells window a/c now as well.

Even if you are paying your own utilities (very few of you, IIRC), it is still worth it. It's not so much the temperature, as the August humidity.

« Reply #429 on: July 08, 2008, 03:05:33 PM »

Even if you are paying your own utilities (very few of you, IIRC), it is still worth it. It's not so much the temperature, as the August humidity.

TITCR- also remember that NYC doesn't cool down at night as much as you might think it would, you'll need a cool space to go to after running all over the city.