Law School Discussion

Columbia Law School Class of 2011

Uptown *2*L

• I speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia Law School Class of 2011
« Reply #400 on: July 04, 2008, 09:48:06 PM »
Too many people in undergrad were drinking just to feel "in," it was so ridiculous. I guess the same is going to be true in law school. Uh oh..lol..

I think its different. People in undergrad drink because it makes them feel "in." This is how you drink, if you're an American and under 21. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

People in law school drink (or don't) because they enjoy it, or because, quite honestly, it is extraordinarily useful. They enjoy the way it makes them feel, and appreciate the lubrication it brings to social -- and professional -- situations.

I will highlight this difference as follows. In undergrad, being *drunk* -- like, flat-off-your-ass-barfing-in-the-toilet drunk -- didn't really carry much of a social stigma. I mean, it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but it never really reduced people's opinions of you. In law school, being a social drinker is a huge plus. Being the sort of person who gets trashed all the time, or two or three nights a weekend, you'll have people who just think you're silly (or stupid).

I would call this the mature attitude towards alcohol. By the time you reach law school, you should start acting like an adult. Alcohol has a huge place in our culture that goes WAY beyond keggers at a frat house.

« Reply #401 on: July 05, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »
Vikki - i was also having trouble uploading my picture onto AdmitNet.  I'm not sure how I eventually got it to work, but as you'll see it's kind of a crappy-quality image...

« Reply #402 on: July 05, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »
Too many people in undergrad were drinking just to feel "in," it was so ridiculous. I guess the same is going to be true in law school. Uh oh..lol..

I think its different. People in undergrad drink because it makes them feel "in." This is how you drink, if you're an American and under 21. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

People in law school drink (or don't) because they enjoy it, or because, quite honestly, it is extraordinarily useful. They enjoy the way it makes them feel, and appreciate the lubrication it brings to social -- and professional -- situations.

I will highlight this difference as follows. In undergrad, being *drunk* -- like, flat-off-your-ass-barfing-in-the-toilet drunk -- didn't really carry much of a social stigma. I mean, it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but it never really reduced people's opinions of you. In law school, being a social drinker is a huge plus. Being the sort of person who gets trashed all the time, or two or three nights a weekend, you'll have people who just think you're silly (or stupid).

I would call this the mature attitude towards alcohol. By the time you reach law school, you should start acting like an adult. Alcohol has a huge place in our culture that goes WAY beyond keggers at a frat house.

Well thats good to hear since I dont want to be holding back anyone's hair as we stand by the toilet bowl. haha.
I do see what you're trying to say.
I still don't get the whole judging people that dont drink nor do I feel that just because alcohol has a place in our culture should we feel compelled to indulge in it, even if in moderation.
I remember a roomate who would try to get us to drink a glass of wine with dinner everytime we ate out because she insisted it was rude not to (we later found out that at her house it was customary). I drink wine but some of our friends didnt and also at my house we never drink wine with dinner so I thought it was rude of her to insist on it based on her norms.
I think it all comes down to what you're comfortable with. I can see myself continuing to drink socially or just stopping completely, and it doesnt really matter to me what people will think about either decision. I also think Ill be fine professionally no matter what my decision.  ;D

5 weeks until NYC. Too bad I start working on Monday  :(

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 05, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »
30 days until my move in day!!!

I'm planning our garage sale now...I need a drink.  :D

aporia

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2008, 05:48:45 AM »
My move-in day is August 4, too.  Is anyone else going to be moving in that week?  Apropos of the discussion above, anyone want to meet up for a drink at some point during the week before orientation?

« Reply #405 on: July 06, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »
In law school, being a social drinker is a huge plus. Being the sort of person who gets trashed all the time, or two or three nights a weekend, you'll have people who just think you're silly (or stupid).

What if you get belligerently drunk after 4 drinks and start stumbling around, eyes half-closed, cursing anyone who asks you if you're "OK"? 

Dr. Grey, can I buy you an amaretto sour? 

Hope everyone is having a good summer!  See you all in a month or so. 

why, thank you sir, i'd be delighted  ;)

Uptown *2*L

• I speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 06, 2008, 01:32:03 PM »
What if you get belligerently drunk after 4 drinks and start stumbling around, eyes half-closed, cursing anyone who asks you if you're "OK"? 

I don't know who you are, but I do know who you're talking about. Hilarious. A cheap shot, but hilarious.

« Reply #407 on: July 06, 2008, 01:36:50 PM »

I don't know who you are, but I do know who you're talking about. Hilarious. A cheap shot, but hilarious.

Derek is Hank

« Reply #408 on: July 06, 2008, 02:18:48 PM »
Yeah...just a thought though, since I'm pretty bored this afternoon: almost all the social functions at law school have alcohol.  It's not that I "don't trust" classmates who don't come to those functions and drink.  I trust/like Tom and MCB just fine.  It's mainly that we just never get to spend that much time together outside of class, so I don't get to know them as well as I might like to. 

« Reply #409 on: July 07, 2008, 08:13:04 AM »
My move-in day is August 4, too.  Is anyone else going to be moving in that week?  Apropos of the discussion above, anyone want to meet up for a drink at some point during the week before orientation?

yes.  affirmative.  absolutely.  we'll make it happen.