Law School Discussion

How much money can a 1L ,2L, and 3L make in the summer to pay off loans?

To those who are saying that non-T14 1L's can't get jobs: You're wrong.

An anecdotal counterexample: my cousin is a 1L at Toledo (T2) and about a month ago she had already set up a job for this summer for which she will make around $1200/week.  Why does everyone insist on being so overly pessimistic about prospects?

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile

An anecdotal counterexample: my cousin is a 1L at Toledo (T2) and about a month ago she had already set up a job for this summer for which she will make around $1200/week.  Why does everyone insist on being so overly pessimistic about prospects?

i believe they're referring to big firm jobs. 

I suppose, but does this matter if the OP is just trying to gauge how much its possible to make (to pay debt or otherwise) before he/she graduates?

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile

i believe they're referring to big firm jobs. 

I suppose, but does the size of the firm matter if the OP is just trying to gauge how much $$$ she can earn to pay back debts before he/she graduates?

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
EDIT: Sorry for the triple post. LSD gets a 137 today.

I suppose, but does this matter if the OP is just trying to gauge how much its possible to make (to pay debt or otherwise) before he/she graduates?

when i say big firm, i'm not really talking about the size of the firm so much as whether or not they pay the top rate for associates, namely the $160k starting figure.

how much they pay does make big difference on ability to pay down debt, after all.  ;)

$1200/wk in Toledo is probably > $3000/wk in NYC.

My pessimism in this regard has only to do with budgeting. I mean, anyone can get a job as a 1L but it doesn't happen to a lot of people - so many people that planning your budget around having that job is unwise. I am planning to budget as if I won't have that 1L job then work my butt off to get one. I'm going to U Texas, a good school with good job prospects, but not necessarily the built in wow factor you get from Harvard (or whatever you school you wish to insert here). So I'd say don't plan on that job, but go get it anyway.

when i say big firm, i'm not really talking about the size of the firm so much as whether or not they pay the top rate for associates, namely the $160k starting figure.

how much they pay does make big difference on ability to pay down debt, after all.  ;)

If debt were scaled by cost of living, maybe.

?

I'm just saying you can't compare the raw income numbers. I'm not saying anything about the raw amount of debt accumulated.

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email

?

I'm just saying you can't compare the raw income numbers. I'm not saying anything about the raw amount of debt accumulated.

No you can't just compare the raw income, but $3000 a week in NYC is still going to be significantly more, whether you're paying off your debt or something else. NYC living costs are high, but not $1800 a week more than Toledo.

?

No you can't just compare the raw income, but $3000 a week in NYC is still going to be significantly more, whether you're paying off your debt or something else. NYC living costs are high, but not $1800 a week more than Toledo.

I was being facetious.  ::)