Law School Discussion

Taking Questions

botbot

• View Profile
Do you have a link or anything for this 30%? That number is a lot higher than the one provided to me by your CDO.

Do you have a link or anything for this 30%? That number is a lot higher than the one provided to me by your CDO.

From earlier in the thread:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/firstyear.html

botbot

• View Profile

From earlier in the thread:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/firstyear.html

Ah, I read it as 30% BIGLAW and didn't see the link.  My mistake.

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Did you interview while applying? If you did, how was the process? If you didn't, did that hurt you? What about others in your class?

I'm on hold and will be interviewing soon.  Any suggestions? 

How good were your grades? Do you think that going to prestigious undergrad institutions helps in finding 1L employment, or not really? Also, how do people at Northwestern do looking for MIDLAW jobs (biggest firms in smaller cities) in places like Indianapolis, KC, ST Louis, etc.

Thanks for answering questions!

botbot

• View Profile
Ah, I read it as 30% BIGLAW and didn't see the link.  My mistake.

I think the overwhelming majority of the 32% stat on the web page is biglaw, but I don't have a breakdown. When they got the whole 1L class together in the fall to talk about this, the biglaw stat I remember was something like 26% or so (meaning in the context of the linked page that ~6% were in smaller firms), but I could be wrong about that. As a sampling of firms I know 1Ls are going to this summer: Paul Weiss (NY), Wilmer Hale (Boston), Sidley Austin (Chi), Mayer Brown (Chi), Foley & Lardner (various), Schiff Hardin (Chi), Marshall, Gerstein & Borun (Chi), Taft Stettinius & Hollister (Cinci), Hogan & Hartson (DC), etc. etc.

Right.  The CDO gave a figure of 21-25% which seems to be supported from that website.  NU does very well with 1L BIGLAW placement...

Also, how do people at Northwestern do looking for MIDLAW jobs (biggest firms in smaller cities) in places like Indianapolis, KC, ST Louis, etc.

Thanks for answering questions!

I'm another 1L at Northwestern and I wanted to chime in on this.  I don't have any numbers to quote, but more important than numbers, for me personally, is that the NU career center is willing to work with you to help you get the job you want.  They aren't going to push you towards BIGLAW in Chicago if that isn't what you want. (And if you have no idea what you want they can help there too!)  Also, at least one of the career counselors has excellent knowledge about Midwest placement.  And finally, though I'm primarily looking at returning to DC so I don't know details, Midwest centered firms do come to the school sponsored networking events and OCI. 

is your udergrad GPA relevant to your 1L job search?  did any firm ask for your undergrad transcript?

I'm on hold and will be interviewing soon.  Any suggestions? 

Be prepared to discuss what other people's greatest misconception of you is, and why it is wrong. I hear that's a common NU interview question. Beyond that, come prepared with questions of your own to ask, have a credible "why law school" answer that meshes with your academic and professional career thus far, and be able to list at least one (and preferably more) specific things about NU that make you want to attend over other law schools.
:) 
Awesome, thank you!  I have another question for you: I basically HATE trying to come up with smart questions to ask people during interviews.  The only questions I have for the Northwestern interviewer would be concerning job placement.  I know I will attend Northwestern if admitted, so do you think asking questions as if I was already admitted is okay?  (i.e., what career services do you offer, questions related to the journals and student orgs)
THANK YOU!!!!!!!