Law School Discussion

Arizona State--Early Admissions Application held for review

Arizona State--Early Admissions Application held for review
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:03 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this discussion board and am looking for an answer. I applied to Arizona State for early admissions and was notified that my application was held for review with the regular applicant pool. They kept the email really positive saying that my application was competitive and that most of those who applied were denied.
I was wondering if anyone knew someone that this happened to and what the outcome was. I just want to know what people think my chances are.. I have really good soft factors (strong writing samples, unique history of employment, maximum # of LORs) and a high GPA (3.85), but my LSAT wasn't too hot (156). I'm just going a little crazy waiting for the answer given that I applied before NOVEMBER. Also, does anyone know how long this could potentially take? I'm just looking for people with any experience on this issue. Thanks!

Laura

Re: Arizona State--Early Admissions Application held for review
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
At least you have heard from them.  I have heard from 8 of the 10 schools I applied to. Davis and ASU are the only two that I haven't heard a thing from.  My application was complete the first week of November. 

As for as the early application thing-it sounds like they didn't like you enough to admit you right away, but they didn't dislike you enough to reject you outright.  They will probably review your application and see how it compares with the rest in the regular applicant pool. Depending on how you match up they will accept, reject, or waitlist you. 

For now, however, you are still good to go. I just wish that they would hurry up.  Is ASU your top choice?

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm in love with Phoenix and have a pretty awesome BIGLAW connection there.  What I really want to know is how much of a chance I have with the regular applicant pool.  I'm guessing their decision about me is just going to be based on the numbers of the rest of the applicants. Too many high LSATs, and I might just get the ax. I am not sure though, they advertised on their website that they were taking applications up to a full 15 days past their stated deadline. I'm not familiar enough with their system to know if this is normal. I seriously doubt that they had a problem with a decreased # of applications, but I guess you never know and maybe I'll get lucky.
They sent out emails to early applicants in January saying that their staff was very ill and that is why it is taking them a little bit longer. I seriously doubt that they have even looked at your application until this week if it wasn't marked for early admission, given the content in the email. So, hopefully you should hear from them around the same time I do!
I read somewhere on the boards that they are very slow, but the post was from a few years ago... so who knows what kinds of changes the staff has gone through. Good luck with ASU and Davis (I would love to go there too, but given my LSAT, I didn't bother applying)!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:16:06 AM »
ls, you're right that ASU is typically very slow.  The two of my friends that applied there last cycle did so in Nov. or Dec. and didn't even hear back til sometime in March (both had competitive #'s and got in).  Every time I have heard Dean Soto talk about admissions, she has stressed ASU's full application review, no matter what your #'s are.  When I was there for the open house in December, she said they actually let in someone with a 148 last year, because the application was so good... so with your strong soft factors I'd say you have a pretty decent shot.  Also, fyi, I applied in mid-november and haven't heard a thing since my application went complete...

Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:25:21 AM »
ls, you're right that ASU is typically very slow.  The two of my friends that applied there last cycle did so in Nov. or Dec. and didn't even hear back til sometime in March (both had competitive #'s and got in).  Every time I have heard Dean Soto talk about admissions, she has stressed ASU's full application review, no matter what your #'s are.  When I was there for the open house in December, she said they actually let in someone with a 148 last year, because the application was so good... so with your strong soft factors I'd say you have a pretty decent shot.  Also, fyi, I applied in mid-november and haven't heard a thing since my application went complete...

Good luck.

Thanks, that is sooooo comforting to hear. I pretty much have everything riding on getting into ASU. So I guess I probably won't hear back until around mid-March... if I'm lucky. Gotta love the application process!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:31:05 AM »
Yeah, that is nice to know.  I was wondering what was wrong with ASU.  My numbers are kind of weak, but I have great soft factors-so good news! When I called ASU with a question in October the lady who answered the phone was SO dry and it took forever for my call to be transfered.  I got the feeling that they had a large, bloated gov't run system (like most public schools) although worse.

gophils215

• Just need one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
I got the feeling that they had a large, bloated gov't run system (like most public schools) although worse.

I think this is the knock on ASU.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »
Not at all-it is knock on inefficient state schools in general.  I really like ASU and would love to go there-their service (at least over the phone), however, leaves something to be desired. 

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:37:30 AM »
I have heard their administration is pretty unorganized at times (not necessarily their admissions office though).  For example, last year they sent out a letter with the graduation announcements that stated Susan O'Conner would be the distinguished speaker at graduation... apparently they forgot to check w/ her, because she declined due to other obligations and the graduation speaker ended up being the governor of AZ, Janet Napolitano.  Just a small example of a common slip-up by ASU admin... this certainly shouldn't detract from a desire to attend though- still a good legal education and I've heard that most of the professors make up for the lack of detail that the admin shows.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
Yeah, that is nice to know.  I was wondering what was wrong with ASU.  My numbers are kind of weak, but I have great soft factors-so good news! When I called ASU with a question in October the lady who answered the phone was SO dry and it took forever for my call to be transfered.  I got the feeling that they had a large, bloated gov't run system (like most public schools) although worse.

I had to call them back in November and had a completely different experience. The woman I spoke with was very friendly and very helpful. Maybe they had a change in staff. I was also emailing the receptionist back and forth (possibly the same person, not sure) and she was VERY helpful and prompt. Who knows, maybe the person you just talked to had a bad day, or maybe the person i talked to had a good one. Either way, yay for them looking at soft factors... it's nice to know some schools still look beyond the numbers--the LSAT isn't everything.