Law School Discussion

The Texas Job Market

botbot

• View Profile
Re: The Texas Job Market
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »
Makes sense....but my point about the vast difference between the actual reality of the job market for SMU grads and what many 0L's expect is still valid. The picture I was sold versus what this girl is writing is huge.

About a third of the class is still going to get BIGLAW...you shouldn't expect any better.

And if I know the LR member she is talking about - they are at a pretty prestigious clerkship and should be able to get BIGLAW if they tried hard enough.

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »
I think a lot of it is the economy.  I think part of it, too, is that getting your first job out of law school is like getting any other job right out of school.  You have no experience.  All the clerkships and law review in the world don't change that.

A clerkship counts as employment, so obviously we are not talking about the same person.   

Makes sense....but my point about the vast difference between the actual reality of the job market for SMU grads and what many 0L's expect is still valid. The picture I was sold versus what this girl is writing is huge.

About a third of the class is still going to get BIGLAW...you shouldn't expect any better.

And if I know the LR member she is talking about - they are at a pretty prestigious clerkship and should be able to get BIGLAW if they tried hard enough.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »
tag

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 11:03:15 PM »
I'm showing my ignorance here, but how does someone going to school in Austin effectively network in Dallas? I mean, most of family lives in the Dallas area but we have about as much influence as a herd of field mice. Can I reasonably expect that a father of 4 in law school will have time to do the networking required? I'm frankly working under the assumption that the UT name will hold more sway than networking while at SMU. Of course, I mean that in terms of all things being equal, like grades, class rank, and journal participation. Would I get more of a boost in Dallas going to the lower ranked local school or the higher ranked school down south a bit? (I know going by rankings is very shallow, but I am going to law school to get a job. I'm also going to expand my mind, etc, but my mind can be freakin huge and it won't make up for having no job!)

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 06:12:56 AM »
I'm showing my ignorance here, but how does someone going to school in Austin effectively network in Dallas? I mean, most of family lives in the Dallas area but we have about as much influence as a herd of field mice. Can I reasonably expect that a father of 4 in law school will have time to do the networking required? I'm frankly working under the assumption that the UT name will hold more sway than networking while at SMU. Of course, I mean that in terms of all things being equal, like grades, class rank, and journal participation. Would I get more of a boost in Dallas going to the lower ranked local school or the higher ranked school down south a bit? (I know going by rankings is very shallow, but I am going to law school to get a job. I'm also going to expand my mind, etc, but my mind can be freakin huge and it won't make up for having no job!)

UT is probably better if you're not considering cost.  But, if you're in at UT, then you probably have a substantial scholarship to SMU, right? 

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »
Ya know, I've wondered this for a while. What does it mean to "have ties to an area"?

Do I have ties to Texas because I lived there for 5 years somewhat recently?
Do I have ties to DC because my family has a lot of biglaw partner connections?
Do I have ties to California because I lived there when I was 1-4?

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 11:59:44 AM »
Sweet. Now the Dallas market doesn't scare me so much.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 02:07:18 PM »
http://www.texasbar.com/template.cfm?section=reports

didnt look back thru the thread, but some good data here...

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 02:29:20 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/ciolli.php?school_id=172

ranked 10th (of 28) in the region
38% of grads work in BigLaw (of those who work in region)
 it places 23% better in the region than the general market

hope that was helpful

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 10:42:50 AM »
To answer an earlier question, networking doesn't involve just going to bar functions and receptions and striking up conversations with lawyers. Oftentimes it can involve cold-calling alums from your law school and trying to start a relationship. Maybe try to set up a lunch for when you're in Dallas next. If your school has a dedicated alumni base, they will most likely be more than happy to try to help you out.