Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for 1Ls at: Michigan, Duke, UVA, NW, Penn, WUSTL and Vanderbilt  (Read 1104 times)

Petite Avocate

• View Profile
I know this answer will be different for everyone, but what does a normal day's schedule look like? I'm asking because I'll be bringing my dog to school and I want to make sure he gets all the attention he deserves.

Thanks!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LaPetiteAvocat
Yes, I know I've assigned myself the wrong gender on LSN. I apologize for offending the Francophones, but I'm not creating a whole new account to correct the error. Please stop leaving me messages.

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question for 1Ls at: Michigan, Duke, UVA, NW, Penn, WUSTL and Vanderbilt
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »
I know this answer will be different for everyone, but what does a normal day's schedule look like? I'm asking because I'll be bringing my dog to school and I want to make sure he gets all the attention he deserves.

Thanks!

I've heard that peanut butter works well for that kind of thing.  Not that I would know personally...

ipso facto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »
I'm a Michigan 1L. First, you need to remember that EVERYONE has a different schedule and spends a different amount of time at the Law School. If you are heavily involved in student groups, doing a moot court, study more than the average person, you can be stuck at school all the time.

It is just a personal decision how much time you put in. I'm married, so unless there is something pressing (a paper due or exams), I try and make it home no later than 7. I would consider myself pretty average in that regard. Also, remember that there is no reason one has to do work at school. I know plenty of people who go home for lunch, come back for a class or two in the afternoon and then go home and do all their studying at home.
I was talking to preachy preach about kissy kiss...

Michigan Law 2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 02:55:55 PM »
I'm also a 1L at Michigan, and I agree with Ipso.  I live alone and am usually home by about 4:30, unless I have a meeting, when I'm home by 7-8.  I almost never study at school, because I prefer not to. 

Last semester my bf and his dog stayed with me for about 6 weeks and we were easily able to take care of her.  He'd walk her in the morning (but I could have if I had gotten up earlier), then I'd walk her when I got home (btw 4 and 7), then he'd walk her again right before bed.  You could definitely do that on your own, especially if you cut out one of the walking times (which we sometimes did).  Also, if your dog is anything like ours, once there's snow on the ground she'll want to spend as little time outside as possible.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Margaret H

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »
Hey There Michigan class of 2011,
I am a 1L at Michigan with an apartment that I'm looking to sublet to a summer starter planning to live in the lawyer's club and needing a place to live for the summer.
My apartment is on 320 South Division Street and it about a 5 (7 if you're slow) minute walk to the law school. The apartment is a spacious studio with the following features:
- fully furnished
- large bathroom
- very high ceilings
- southern exposure so flooded with light
- large closet
- close to the law school but also close to main street (where all the shops, bars and restaurants are)
- close to campus downtown (state street where there are also bars and shops)
- Parking
- Lots of charming original details (moulding etc)
I have found the apartment to be a very very peaceful place to live and study during my first semester in law school and would love to share it with an incoming 1L!
Rent is negotiable but will be in the neighborhood of $700/month - I'm amenable to other offers.

Email me if you're interested and I'll send you pictures!

Margaret Hayden
mbhayden@umich.edu

Steak Pita

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self 'tar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:10:48 AM »
I'm a 1L at WUSTL.  If you live close enough to the school (like within 15 minutes), you could go home for lunch every day and see your dog for at least an hour.  No 1Ls have classes from 11:20 to 1:00.  However, this is when many meetings, speaking events, etc. take place, so you might not want to go home.  Also, if you are married or have a significant other living with you, that would obviously make things easier.

I have a dog and usually don't go home for lunch, but I rarely do my schoolwork at school, preferring to take it home.  This way, I'm home by 3:00 every day and the dog doesn't get too lonely.
WUSTL '10

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
I'm a Michigan 1L. First, you need to remember that EVERYONE has a different schedule and spends a different amount of time at the Law School. If you are heavily involved in student groups, doing a moot court, study more than the average person, you can be stuck at school all the time.

It is just a personal decision how much time you put in. I'm married, so unless there is something pressing (a paper due or exams), I try and make it home no later than 7. I would consider myself pretty average in that regard. Also, remember that there is no reason one has to do work at school. I know plenty of people who go home for lunch, come back for a class or two in the afternoon and then go home and do all their studying at home.

Same here.  (Also married Michigan 1L... there aren't that many of us, I swear.)  This semester I have an elective that goes until 8 one day a week.  And then maybe one other time a week I have some extracurricular that keeps me there until 6 or 7.  But I often go home as soon as classes are over, at 2:30, to have a little time to crash at home before I start studying.

Some people feel that they can't concentrate and stay on task at home, but I'm fine.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »

Thanks!

1L reporting from Vandy here. 1st semester you'll have four classes under the new curriculum (Contracts, Reg. State, Legal Writing, and either Torts or Civ. Pro.)   Depending on which section you end up in, you might have classes starting at 8 some days and 11 on others, but you always have 12-1 off and classes are generally over by 3:30.  2nd semester you add one more class to the schedule (Con Law, Crim, Property, Legal Writing and either Torts or Civ Pro). Same deal with the lunch break and when classes end as the fall. Unless you decide to buy a house in the suburbs you should have no problems going home when you need to during the day.  Where you study is your call.

Oh and each semester the Animal Law Society hosts one of the Blackacre events, and everyone brings their dogs to the law school. There's a courtyard in the middle of the school that's set up with a bunch of cafe tables, and last semester the dogs started following each other around the courtyard in a line. Unfortunately the first in line was one of those little purse dogs, so when the larger ones tried to follow it under the tables, things got messy and some people lost their beers. For those of us who don't have dogs, it was both really funny and a little annoying.

[Just a thought if you ended up visiting Nashville that week and wanted to bring your pooch so it could make some friends.]
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10