Law School Discussion

Illinois or Boston College? That is the question...

Illinois or Boston College? That is the question...
« on: January 11, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »
can someone help me out. which law school has better prospects at big law? other advantages to either one? i got a 15k annual scholarship from UIUC, but nothing from BC. Appreciated. Good luck to all.

Re: Illinois or Boston College? That is the question...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »
Depends where you want to practice when you are done.  If you want to be in the Midwest, UIUC is good, if you want to be in the northeast, BC is probably your best bet.  I don't think either is known for placing outside its region better than any other regional school.

By the way, what are your stats for the 15k/year scholarship?

Re: Illinois or Boston College? That is the question...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »
from EVERYTHING I have read UIUC places much much better in biglaw positions than other schools that are similarly ranked.  Lots of Chicago and NW grads leave the state to work elsewhere, so I think that is part of why UIUC places so well.  I don't know where you are from or what kind of town you like, but I have enjoyed Champaign-Urbana so far, it is a good place to be productive.  Also, you will need good grades to get the type of position you want from either school, so taking the money might not be a bad move (in case grades don't work out, you won't have as much debt).  You could also try and use the offer of money from UIUC to try and get a scholarship out of BC.  Good luck with your decision.