Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Arab Prospective Law Students  (Read 6191 times)

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Arab Prospective Law Students
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »
Any Arabs here on LSD? If so, what's good and where do you plan to attend?
Best of luck,

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Prospective Law Students
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »
Are there any?

Fadel Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
Salaams,

I just registered
I don't know where to apply yet. I'm taking June LSAT. The score will decide where to apply

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »
wa aleikum salaam,

If you need any help or advice along the way, feel free to ask.
I'm going through the application process right now as you can see.

It seems we have the same name. Awesome.
Take care man,

Fadel Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:34 AM »
Thanks for your willing to help.
I copied my post in other forum. It would be great to get your inputs about my case.

Salaams

I am international student from Arabic country, Saudi Arabia. My dad is Saudi while my mom is Iraqi and my uncles are still in Iraq. I also belong to a minority group in my country.

My undergrad GPA is 3 sharp; my school, KFUPM, is the only school in the country where the language of instruction is English and uses 4.0 point scale since it was established around 50 years ago by American Oil Company. Right now, it is considered the hardest and toughest school in the country. So, UGPA of 3 is considered really good score and it is relatively easy for me to get a decent job there.

I am currently pursing my MBA in the US but not in one of top schools, but also not in easy one. My current GPA is 3.18 and I believe I can raise it to around 3.25. Further, I have two years of working experience as computer developer, i.e., programmer, before I started my MBA. I have not taken the LSAT yet. I took a practice one with no preperation and scored 145. I am planning to take the test in June and I believe I can score around 162.

What are my chances to get admission to a good law school? Is there a chance to get into a T20 school? What LSAT score would give me a better chance to get into T20 school?

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:25:20 AM »
Fadel,

My opinion, outlook, and advice for your case is as follows:

If you scored a 145 on the LSAT exam without practice, you will have to do some serious studying in these next few months. It is from my experience that the average improvement for someone who takes the test again WITH practice is roughly 8-10 points. The LSAT is an exam that you can DEFINITELY improve on, but you will have to be both dedicated and motivated to see fruitful results. For some people, the test comes naturally and studying will only help them improve a few points. So study hard!

If you manage to get a score in the 160-163 range with a 3.0 you could qualify for a few T-25 schools. I understand the grading system of the Middle East, and I know it will not be looked at as highly as most of the American undergraduate applications that they will receive. So it is important, again, that your LSAT score is decent. As far as your MBA, that will certainly help.
Make sure to have great soft factors (personal statement, resume(hopefully its adequate), and great recommendation letters from your American employers/professors, not Saudi National). I mean this with respect because the educational system is different here and its hard for admin officials to compare international with national school systems.

Secondly, make sure you check your race on applications as "other" and put Arab/Saudi-Iraqi or some sort of similar variety. Tailor your personal statement around your heritage and what it can bring the the American Legal system as well as your home country(something like this).

Based on your predictions: 162 LSAT 3.0 UGPA,
I'd say you got a solid chance at Ohio State, George Mason, American University, and a few other T-30's.

The low GPA hurts you a lot, so I'd say your "above reach" schools or the schools that are above your numbers but possible(because many schools will consider you a URM--under represented minority).
In  this order from best to least chance:

U. Illinois> Boston College> Notre Dame> Iowa > Fordham

T20? Maybe...U Minn

Fadel Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
Thank you for your useful response. You brought to my attention to several important points. However, I just started working on LSAT and I believe I have time to improve my score till June. 

Thanks again and hope you a successful life

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
Any Arabs here on LSD? If so, what's good and where do you plan to attend?
Best of luck,

Salaam,
I'm half Palestinian and was born in Lebanon (the other half is Italian and Lebanese if you're wondering). I'm applying this cycle but I haven't decided where I'm going yet. There have to be more than three of us this cycle... where is everybody?

By the way, I've been wondering what other Arabs / Middle Easterners checked for ethnicity on their applications. It's been an ongoing question for me.

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »
Salaam,
I'm half Palestinian and was born in Lebanon (the other half is Italian and Lebanese if you're wondering). I'm applying this cycle but I haven't decided where I'm going yet. There have to be more than three of us this cycle... where is everybody?

By the way, I've been wondering what other Arabs / Middle Easterners checked for ethnicity on their applications. It's been an ongoing question for me.

I checked either 'Decline to answer' or 'Other' on my apps and explained in my personal statement.  I'm mixed and my statement was on the topic of identity. Most of the applications provided room in the race/ethnicity section to elaborate, and I wrote 'Please see personal statement'.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 12:07:42 PM »
Not Arab, but Muslim. Just wanted to say Salaam and best wishes to you all.
(Just Adding Another Notch)