Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR form...do they read it?  (Read 1264 times)

questiononapps

• View Profile
LOR form...do they read it?
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »
I'm curious to see if others think this is a big deal or not......

Before I got my LSAT score back, I was only going to apply to the same school I went to undergrad, say University of X. So I asked all my recommenders to write targeted letters, and in the description on the LOR form it says "Letter for University of X."

But after I got my score back in Dec., it was really high and I realized I would have a good chance at some better schools. So I asked all my recommenders to write new, general letters. Two did, but one, I just found out, wrote a general letter the first time so didn't think it was necessary to write a new letter, and now it is basically too late to send in the letter.

Since the first letter that recommender wrote was general, with no references to University of X or any other school, the content itself is a general letter I can use for other schools. The only problem is the LOR form, which IS sent with your letters, will still say Targeted letter for "University of X." The professor is from the University of X, and I of course went to University of X.  I feel like at this point it would be better to just use the letter, even though the form itself will say Targeted letter for University of X. Obviously if the letter itself said University of X, I wouldn't be thinking to do this, but it's just the form which I doubt they look over very carefully anyway.

Do others think this is a big deal?

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LOR form...do they read it?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:15:48 PM »
I understand the concern, but I doubt that it would be that big of a deal, considering you and the recommender are from that school as well.  Most schools would probably just recognize it--if they even notice it--as an irrelevant mistake. 

If you're really worried, you can also print a new letter form for the LOR that says General and send it in with a second copy of the same LOR (or possibly even to replace the previous cover letter).  I know this because I had a similar situation and LSAC was very helpful about it.  Call them and ask what they suggest; it can't hurt.

But really, if you already have 2 general letters, is it worth all of this for the third?  Do some of your schools require more than 2 letters?
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

questiononapps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll give LSAC yet another call :)

I need this letter because it's the only one from a professor; my other two are from some significant professional experience.

My gut feeling is 1) they won't notice and 2) if they do notice, once they read the letter they'll realize it's a general letter and won't care what the cover says.

wheretogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »
FYI: This was my question a while ago (couldn't remember my old username/pass so made a new one), and I've been accepted at plenty of schools so it didn't seem to matter, if anyone else out there has a similar situtation in the future.