Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Illinois C of Law Q's  (Read 1586 times)

Prog

• View Profile
University of Illinois C of Law Q's
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »
I just received an unsolicited app. fee waiver and invitation to apply from University of Illinois College of Law. Normally I don't pay much attention to these unsolicited emails because the schools don't usually interest me at all, but when I checked it out, it seems like a really good school, hovering in the mid 20s rank-wise even.
 Should I be excited about receiving this email or is it just something that they usually do? I guess the reason could be that they're trying to boost URM application?

I have friends in Chicago, which would be nice, even though UI is in Urbana/Champaign, which is pretty far away.

Thoughts? Anyone know the school well?

Edit : I just realized I posted this in the Rankings child board. It should be in the parent board...

areopagite

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: University of Illinois C of Law Q's
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:06:16 PM »
I was in a similar position when I received the fee waiver (hadn't noticed UIUC, checked it out, was pretty impressed, etc.).  There was a fairly helpful UIUC discussion going on at another thread here:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,77814.msg2456735.html#msg2456735

I'm sure there are others; that's just the one I know about.  You could probably PM some of the folks from there and get more info, too.

Cheers,
John Dewey on standardized tests:

"It reminds me of how we weighed pigs on my grandfather's farm.  You lay a board over a fence, put the pig on one end and pile rocks on the other.  Then you guess how much the rocks weigh."

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »
Thank you, checking it out asap!

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »
What are your numbers, if you dont mind me asking

Tegoyan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:49:08 PM »
I got an unsolicited UIUC fee waiver and I'm also a URM. I was admitted with a good scholarship as well. I listed myself as instate and am attending undergrad in Illinois though, so that might've helped. Check my LSN for my numbers. I wasn't going to apply because I didn't think I would get in but decided to randomly go for it and it paid off.