Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Married life and law school  (Read 19168 times)

loowho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Married life and law school
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »
I would think that the rigors of the first year of law school would put even more strain on the already daunting first year of marriage.

Of course, it all depends on your relationship and the kind of people you and your SO are/will be.

Best of luck!

Don't let this poster scare you about the first year of marriage. I will have been married for a little over a year when I start law school, and my first year of marriage has been great (not at all daunting!) Plus, my husband and I are looking at law school as a sort-of newlywed adventure to a new city (realizing of course that I will be very busy, it will still be a new adventure).

I have seen at some schools that there are actually activities planned for spouses so they can get to know each other. I think this seems like a good way to get your spouse involved and it's cool that schools make the effort (or maybe it would be weird and forced?) .
In: Boalt, $$Duke, $$Northwestern, $$GULC, $Michigan,  $$GW, UW, Penn, UVa, $$USC
Pending:Stanford
Out:Harvard, Columbia :(

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 09:02:05 AM »
I'm getting married in a month and two days and going to law school in 5 months....the nerves are setting in!!!!!  :o

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 10:02:48 AM »
I'll be married in June and am starting law school in August. My SO is starting med school though, so I don't expect eitehr of us to have any free time. The upside to that is at least I won't be distracted or feel abd that i'm studying all the time.

p.s. planning a wedding is the biggest pain ever, i don't see how you the posters above are planning a wedding during their first year!

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
I'm not married, but have been "living in sin" with my bf for almost 2 years now.

About the housework: try to convince your spouse that when your at home studying/outlining/writing it's LIKE YOU'RE AT THE OFFICE. My bf would come home and be like "why are there dishes in the sink, you've been at home all day?"

I don't think it's really that different than what your single friends will be going through. In my case, instead of going out and partying until 2 or 3 am and then sleeping until noon on the weekends, I go home and watch TV with my SO. Everyone in law school takes chill time. For single people it's at the bar, for attached people, it's at home with the SO.

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 03:07:12 PM »
I'll be married in June and am starting law school in August. My SO is starting med school though, so I don't expect eitehr of us to have any free time. The upside to that is at least I won't be distracted or feel abd that i'm studying all the time.

p.s. planning a wedding is the biggest pain ever, i don't see how you the posters above are planning a wedding during their first year!

TITCR - I'm going insane.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 11:47:33 PM »
I planned my wedding 1L year, and it was as stressful as finals!  Remember to delegate and then genuinely let it go once you've delegated.  And seriously, honestly, 100% it is going to be just fine and by the time you are on your honeymoon you will not believe how much stuff that was KILLING you didn't matter.

Although, truthfully, I still get a smug satisfaction over everything that I got perfect and just loved the day of.  :D
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

loowho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 01:06:05 AM »
I definitely did not delegate (type-a personality; guilty as charged). But in the end, everything was just the way I wanted and it was amazing. The stress leading up to it is well worth it!  :)
In: Boalt, $$Duke, $$Northwestern, $$GULC, $Michigan,  $$GW, UW, Penn, UVa, $$USC
Pending:Stanford
Out:Harvard, Columbia :(

newtocali

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 01:37:46 AM »
wow, congrats to all the newlyweds and soon-to-be newlyweds!

ive been married for almost a year and a half, the husband is in his first yr of med school and being that he is a baby, and i am anal when it comes to being clean and organized, all the house responsbilities fell on me.  which was fine this year, when i was working PT and doing LS apps.

next year i will be a 1L, he will be in 2nd year med school...i feel like i will have to hire someone to cook clean and do the laundry and dishes! i cannot imagine doing all that plus law school right now.

i was tryin to convince my husband that this year would be a good time to have a baby, but now im really reconsidering that statement.
10/07 - 158
02/08 - 161

so far - UM. USF. Pacific. UCD!!!
unfortunates - UCB.
waitlisting on - WCL. UCH.
waiting on - FU PT. CWRU. BNC.

road

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 11:59:49 PM »
I got married last June, and my husband is probably moving far away with me so that I can go to GW.  He's really supportive and I think it will be great to get some exposure to a new city and explore it together.  I plan on treating law school like a 9-5 job, maybe even 8-6pm so that when I get home, we have time to have dinner and watch TV together.

It's tight but doable. I've generally been doing a 7-5 M-F with an evening or two after the kids go to bed and have been keeping up OK. Not a lot of breathing room though.
IANAL...Y

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »
I thought I would be able to make it an 8-5 job type of thing, but it hasn't worked out that way for a number of reasons. First, I couldn't resist and I got involved in a few student groups. Second, I have a one-year-old daughter who developed health problems AFTER school started (I need to talk to her about her timing). Lastly, no matter how hard I try not to let it bother me, I still feel like everybody else is vastly more intelligent than me so I compensate by working extremely hard.

The good news is that the second semester is working out much better. It's no MUCH easier to understand what's going on at school, I cut back a little on commitments to student groups, and I'm able to spend a lot more time with my family.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."