Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Married life and law school  (Read 19753 times)

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Married life and law school
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »
Sounds great! I think she will be a big help with getting through law school. We have been together for 6 1/2 years, since I was 15. We know practically everything about each other, the only thing that we will need to adjust to is living together and we will have six months to do that.

I'm am overachiever, is it possible to treat law school as a full time job? If I studied/ attended class 40-50 hours a week would I be well prepared?

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
Oh my gosh, Ender, now I feel like an insensitive idiot. I will not quote the above in case you would like to delete. I'm so sorry! But maybe the timing or something else wasn't quite right. When it is, you guys will have a wonderful addition to the family...perhaps another lawyer  ;)

brainfish2

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »
Sounds great! I think she will be a big help with getting through law school. We have been together for 6 1/2 years, since I was 15. We know practically everything about each other, the only thing that we will need to adjust to is living together and we will have six months to do that.

I'm am overachiever, is it possible to treat law school as a full time job? If I studied/ attended class 40-50 hours a week would I be well prepared?

I got married the summer before law school, and it is definitely possible to treat it like a full-time job. I do almost all of my work during the day, which isn't hard, other than requiring some discipline. A couple of things are important to remember, though. First, you will have some sort of legal research and writing class which will occasionally require writing assignments. To me, those were by far the worst part of first semester. They take forever, and you'll end up working 5 to 15 extra hours those weeks. On the other hand, some weeks will be really light. As long as both spouses understand that there still needs to be some flexibility, everything will be fine.

Second, finals will be harder. You'll probably have to put in some extra time then, but as long as you keep up with the assignments during the semester, it won't be too bad. I was surprised how little studying I did for finals (of course, I'll let you know if that's a good idea after my grades come out). I have heard (and once you take a law school exam you'll see why it's plausible) that there's not a great deal of correlation between the amount of studying you do and your exam success. In that respect, having a spouse who can help you keep your perspective and maintain your cool could actually help. A lot.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 06:33:55 PM »
tag

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »
tag
Rising 1L

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »
Tag! I'll be getting married at the end of May - just enough time for a honeymoon and some summer relaxation before kicking it into overdrive! I'm definitely glad I'll have her to help motivate me, but since she'll be supporting my broke ass while in LS, I think I'll be the one cooking dinners for her when she's too exhausted to think about it, haha.
!!!

slantwise

• I've been quitting smoking for past 5 years.
    • MSN Messenger - hjk2881@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 04:27:42 PM »
I'm in a similar situation. My fiance and I are planning to get married after my first year of law school.
Since you will be experiencing it first let me know how it went. From the responses I see, I think it isn't a bad idea to get married during 1L.
YES: GULC
NO: CLS, U Chicago
Maybe: Duke, UCLA

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »
I thought planning a wedding during 1L year was hard, but being married is easy!  I mean, hopefully you are both adults and having to spend an evening or two alone isn't that big a deal.  But you can do a lot of studying at home too, if you want to eat dinner, then hit the books after. 

I would think that more than the time commitment, money stress can cause friction in a marriage.  So budget well, take the student loans you need, and resolve not to stress out about it.  We don't have any money friction, but I could see how other couples might.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 10:35:15 PM »
I'm actually finishing a Master's and applying to law school right now. My husband and I got married the summer before I started my grad program, and we relocated to a new state for school.  I'll be honest, the first year was really rough.  Just keep in mind that there might be other things that could stress you out, if you are changing locations and things like that.  Honestly, after the first year things have gone much more smoothly!  Part of the problem our first year was that my husband couldn't find a "real" job in his field so he ended up as a prep cook at a restaurant, while I was only earning the grad student stipend, so money stress was a big issue for us.  If your spouse has a steady job, that should make life easier.  Also, expect to fight about housework.  Housework and finances seem to be the two main stressors for newlyweds. 

I think the most important thing that other people have said is to make sure you carve out some time each week to spend together, and don't only talk about law school things when you're together.

Illyria

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
Eriro is totally right about the housework thing.  Also on the housework topic, here's my advice:  Stand your ground on making sure the housework is shared evenly because whatever jobs you fall into the routine of doing during that first year of marriage, they're likely to be the jobs you'll be doing forever... with a few exceptions of course.  I've been married 11 years and I took on the responsibility of laundry right away.  Now that we have two kids it would be nice to have help with the laundry and I'm making headway on getting his assistance, but my daughter's 9 years old, so you can see that it is not easy to change the routines you get into during that first year of marriage.  On the plus side, I've never mowed a lawn because my husband always does that job.