Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Married life and law school  (Read 19086 times)

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
Re: Married life and law school
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »
but my husband also needs attention!

haha, so true!  Encourage him to make friends at his new job, or join a pick-up sports team or something.  When my husband and I moved so that I could go to grad school, that was our biggest problem.  I made friends at school and was busy with work, and he was working from home and didn't have any sort of social group (and he is way more social than I am).  That sort of isolation can lead to a mild funk can lead to depression = you're both unhappy.  Then he joined an MMA gym and made friends and now it's great.  If you're religious, get involved in a church/synogogue/mosque whatever, or join a gym, or something so that he can meet a wide variety of people.  Oh, and make sure you make time for exercise!  That's probably the biggest thing I've learned from grad school.  It really helps to deal with stress.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »
I've been married all through law school.  As long as you have an understanding and supportive spouse, the problems will be few and far between.  As I have stated in other threads over on the students and graduate boards, law students are largely drama queens who like to play the role of the martyr.  It is all about scheduling and time management.  Good luck to you.  Many of us do it.  We make it out fine. 

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »
At least you won't be wasting time over whether or not so-and-so likes you and if you'll ever find anyone or die alone . . . .

I mean, b/c I know major social drama goes on in law school.  Actually, I have heard that it is frighteningly like high school, with everyone up in everyone else-s business.  and lockers.  (actually, I am really looking forward to having a locker, for some reason . . . .)

gobears99

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
I'm married (no kids) and it's actually been something of a 'good thing' I think...
It's nice to have someone at home who isn't all hyped up on the law school thing (especially during the first year).
I've found it pretty calming actually - I go home after evening class (I'm an evening student) and I can't actually do the stay up late and study thing - we make dinner and we watch TV or hang out. I think I'm likely a happier person as a result.
I have the benefit of a very supportive husband however, and one who is interested in the law also (no interest in going to law school, but he would be a fantastic student if he did), so he's usually happy to chat with me about the latest outrage I've learned about in criminal procedure. He drew the line at listening to civil procedure stories however  ;)

Plus, he likes hanging out at school - he can use the gym, and oftentimes goes to some of the visiting speaker lectures etc. I think that makes a huge difference.

(Eriro is right, the social dramas can be pretty silly at times...it's nice not to have to deal with them! (though also funny to hear them going on)).

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
wow, congrats to all the newlyweds and soon-to-be newlyweds!

ive been married for almost a year and a half, the husband is in his first yr of med school and being that he is a baby, and i am anal when it comes to being clean and organized, all the house responsbilities fell on me.  which was fine this year, when i was working PT and doing LS apps.

next year i will be a 1L, he will be in 2nd year med school...i feel like i will have to hire someone to cook clean and do the laundry and dishes! i cannot imagine doing all that plus law school right now.

i was tryin to convince my husband that this year would be a good time to have a baby, but now im really reconsidering that statement.

Have you (or anyone else on the board) known someone who has had a baby during law school?  How's that work out?  Is it horrible, especially with the stress and money issues of being a student?

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »

ive been married for almost a year and a half, the husband is in his first yr of med school and being that he is a baby, and i am anal when it comes to being clean and organized, all the house responsbilities fell on me.  which was fine this year, when i was working PT and doing LS apps.

next year i will be a 1L, he will be in 2nd year med school...i feel like i will have to hire someone to cook clean and do the laundry and dishes! i cannot imagine doing all that plus law school right now.

i was tryin to convince my husband that this year would be a good time to have a baby, but now im really reconsidering that statement.

Have you (or anyone else on the board) known someone who has had a baby during law school?  How's that work out?  Is it horrible, especially with the stress and money issues of being a student?

I think it's kind of like everything...if you're committed to doing it and it's what you want you'll make it work.  I don't think I would recommend it though (not that I have any experience with it)!

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »

I know people who have done it in Med, Dental , and Grad school and it was tough from what they say but the thing they all had in common was a spouse who had a flexible (at least somewhat) work life/schedule.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »

I know people who have done it in Med, Dental , and Grad school and it was tough from what they say but the thing they all had in common was a spouse who had a flexible (at least somewhat) work life/schedule.

I had a one-year-old when I started, and I know several women who had babies in school.  A supportive spouse (or extended family) is essential.   

The most successful new mothers I knew were very high-energy types who knew going in that they could work for extended periods with little sleep and a demanding schedule. Full-time 1L or 2L year plus a colicky baby or a rough pregnancy would be very very challenging.  If you're risk averse, or if you know you need good sleep to function, it's worth thinking about waiting to try for the baby or going part-time.

This, though, is right on:
I think it's kind of like everything...if you're committed to doing it and it's what you want you'll make it work.

But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

dissident

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 03:09:49 PM »
I just had my five-year anniversary!  First year, my wife finished her undergrad; then I did my Masters; then she did her Masters; now I'm going to law school.

The first year was tough, especially with school.  I don't envy newlyweds starting law school.  However, having a working spouse really eases the financial burden... and the whole process of moving to the city is kind of exciting... more so, I think, than if I were single.

Good luck!

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 06:04:11 PM »
However, having a working spouse really eases the financial burden...

This is what I'm hoping.