Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DOWNY needs your help  (Read 870 times)

DOWNY

DOWNY needs your help
« on: October 01, 2004, 05:03:12 AM »
Ok fuckers,
Here's the deal- I went to the bar tonight and had a great time. My male private part stayed in my pants and everything went smooth, unlike last week. However, I parked in this garage and when I got back to my car I saw a ticket on my windshield. It had an envelope and instructed me to pay what I owed and submit to some dropbox to exit. Well, I was pretty wasted at the time and really did not feel like driving around to find the exit and the dropbox. In addition, I did not feel compelled to spend any money to exit the garage if it was not necessary. Well, I did what any DOWNY would do in this instance and drove down the ramp in reverse (it was too tight to turn around) and exited backwards through the entrance without paying. I laughed. Now, my question is this- given that the ticket referenced my license number and car, what should I do? My gut reaction is to not do anything and tell the garage to go @#!* itself, which is what I did tonight. Can they do anything to me, and should I give a *&^%?

Love,
DOWNY

Ginatio

Re: DOWNY needs your help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 05:06:28 AM »
They're a private establishment, so the worst they can do is send your fine to a bill collector. You can then dispute the fine if you get a letter about it from a credit agency, and most likely neither the credit agency nor the garage will give a @#!* since it's probably what? a $30 fine?

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 05:07:10 AM »
DISCLAIMER: i take no liability for adverse effects arising from compliance with my advice.

DOWNY

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 05:08:00 AM »
Cool, thanks for the help- I will continue my policy of doing nothing and assuming it will go away.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 01:00:40 PM »
Next time, keep the ticket and put it on your windshield for free parking.  Otherwise you have to hunt around for a car with a ticket and steal theirs.

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 01:07:17 PM »
DISCLAIMER: i take no liability for adverse effects arising from compliance with my advice.

omg, ginatio is all growed up! talk about thinking like a lawyer :o

BLAKEAGGIE98

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - BlakeAggie98
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:11:32 PM »
OK similar situation(though not near as cool as Downy's) I bought a new car last week but it was not ready because they had to get it from another dealer. So the dealership give's me a car for the weekend. I drove the car to Houston where I got a parking ticket. But the funny thing was they ran the liscense plate on the car and it did not come back to the dealer but to some other poor idiot who I guess had just traded the car in a couple of days ago. My question is do I pay the ticket or let them send out the Houston swat team on this poor unsuspecting soul.I am thinking screw it as I don't think there is anyway that they can track it to me. Is this unethical? hmmmm
South Texas College of Law here I come!

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 03:16:01 PM »

if you want to be a lawyer you should pay the fine... stupid *&^% like this can cause problems with the bar (credit problems, unpaid tickets)

Ok fuckers,
Here's the deal- I went to the bar tonight and had a great time. My male private part stayed in my pants and everything went smooth, unlike last week. However, I parked in this garage and when I got back to my car I saw a ticket on my windshield. It had an envelope and instructed me to pay what I owed and submit to some dropbox to exit. Well, I was pretty wasted at the time and really did not feel like driving around to find the exit and the dropbox. In addition, I did not feel compelled to spend any money to exit the garage if it was not necessary. Well, I did what any DOWNY would do in this instance and drove down the ramp in reverse (it was too tight to turn around) and exited backwards through the entrance without paying. I laughed. Now, my question is this- given that the ticket referenced my license number and car, what should I do? My gut reaction is to not do anything and tell the garage to go @#!* itself, which is what I did tonight. Can they do anything to me, and should I give a *&^%?

Love,
DOWNY

M2

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 04:17:39 PM »
Next time, keep the ticket and put it on your windshield for free parking.  Otherwise you have to hunt around for a car with a ticket and steal theirs.

omg lol!! that is such a great idea

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 04:39:11 PM »

omg lol!! that is such a great idea

I did this often in college, ride the motorcycle to class, stick an old ticket on it, and you own the parking space for a day.  Of course once I got a little cocky and did this too many days in a row, the metermaid checked the ticket and wrote another.