Law School Discussion

DOWNY needs your help

dr_draino

Re: DOWNY needs your help
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 04:43:22 PM »
meter-maids never checked motorcycles at State...it was great.  Free parking right outside the building rather than 240 bucks a year for a ten minute walk.

V

• MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 06:37:45 AM »
Dear Downy,

Be wary of your actions.  By refusing to pay, you may have difficulty later obtaining bar membership for your lack of responsibility of adhering to the law.  I'm not coming down on you, but here's what will happen, at least in my state anyway.

I can't speak for your state, but I'll speak for mine.  I know there can be NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING of a sort pending on one.  This includes:  outstanding debt reported to collections - be it traffic, and yes it does include stupid parking tickets- on the street or in a garage, medical, c.c. etc., any small claims greivance court actions, the obvious DUIs and all the other *&^% that some of us did during the interum of our youth, even - being treated psychologically - OM!  They want to know about it and CAN/WILL find out about it.  All of it.  And if one lies about his past, or chooses not to disclose any question on a LS app. and/or Membership of Bar, one will not become a member of the Bar, and hence not be able to practice.  So be extremely cautious.  Again, I don't know your state's parameters, so ascertain it.

And no, having the if you leave it alone - it'll go away mentallity I don't think will dissipate in this scenario.

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 07:22:17 AM »
I sometimes think people take this a bit to seriously. There are a lot of peopel who have unpaid tickets that they do not even know they got or completly forgot about. The worst I see happening is that you go to take the bar and they find out and tell you to pay your damn fine before you are approved. I really can't see a bar association permanently denying you the rigt to practice law after 3 years of school just becasue you didn't pay a parking ticket. I think that this is one of those cases were the requirments are rather strict, but in reality I have never heard of someone who was permanantly denied the right to practice law because they had an outstanding parking ticket or debt. Now if you offed a couple of people and baried the bodies in your backyard you might have some problems. 

DESI

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2004, 09:51:14 AM »
DOWNY, are you sure that YOU were parked in the garage and one of your friends didn't borrow your car?

DOWNY

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2004, 12:22:30 PM »
DOWNY, are you sure that YOU were parked in the garage and one of your friends didn't borrow your car?

LOL, ya know, come to think of it, I think it was one of my friends....

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2004, 03:37:39 PM »

LOL, ya know, come to think of it, I think it was one of my friends....

Don't matter.  That defense only works for cameras catching red light runners.  Even thrn,
Big Brother is updating these cameras to show the driver.  Bastards. 

Koga

• K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2004, 05:13:41 PM »
I've been in this situation many times, and I didn't bother to pay any of these tickets.  I have yet to be contacted by any collection agents;  I think that most of these garages can't be arsed to sent a $30 ticket to a collection agency.