Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T6 (-200K) VS. T1 IN THE BLACK  (Read 3268 times)

cup

• View Profile
T6 (-200K) VS. T1 IN THE BLACK
« on: January 09, 2008, 05:17:33 PM »
GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO ATTEND A T6 SCHOOL AND FINISH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PACK ABOUT 200K IN THE HOLE OR TO STAY CLOSE TO HOME GET A FULL RIDE AND FINISH AT THE TOP OF A LOCALLY RECOGNIZED T1 SCHOOL.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO CHOOSE?

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
Re: T6 (-200K) VS. T1 IN THE BLACK
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:20:04 PM »
I AM NOT SURE

WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE
Michigan '11

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
HOW CAN I GET AT THE TOP OF MY LOCAL T1, I CHOO-CHOO-CHOOOSE THAT ONE!

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »
i'm going to throw out some lowercase letters, just to balance out op.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
CAPS LOCK IS AMAZING

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 06:38:54 PM »
T6, no question.

The problem is no guarantee of top of class in T1.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »
Believe it or not, there's more to your career than the first job you land.  Presumably, you'll want to find another after it, and maybe even another.  In that case, your J.D. from a lower-ranked school won't serve as well as you might think.

Maybe if you are nominated for SCOTUS or want to teach...

Big Corp In-house - performance based
Firm lateral - performance based
Hang a shingle - performance based
Small law - performance based

If you are able to get BIGLAW out of any school, you will likely be qualified for your next job.  Teach me Wallace Stevens.

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 06:52:29 PM »
1. unless you have a compelling reason to go you your local t1, i think it would be foolish to pass up the t6, even with 200k debt.  

2. you are already foolish if you assume that you will finish at the top of your class at the t1 (presumably because you received a full scholarship and were admitted to a top school).
3L

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
1. unless you have a compelling reason to go you your local t1, i think it would be foolish to pass up the t6, even with 200k debt.  

2. you are already foolish if you assume that you will finish at the top of your class at the t1 (presumably because you received a full scholarship and were admitted to a top school).

Can you give us a few reasons?

What about passing it over for Michigan, UVa, Boalt, or Penn?

No matter what your present career goals are, you will likley have a more opportunities attending a t6 school.  While in school, you will be among some of the brightest students in the nation, being taught be some of the brightest legal minds in the nation.  At the t6, you will likley experience MUCH less competition, and again you will be virtually guaranteed an opportunity to pursue a variety of career opportunities, without worrying about finishing top 25%.  While your "performance" post law school will carry significant weight down the road, holding a t6 degree vs. a random t1 will *arguably* open doors that your t1 degree cannot.  These are VERY general reasons, and I am assuming that the random t1 is t25-50, as the poster did not say it is a t25.

Pass it over for UVa, Boalt, etc?  Thats a tougher question.  As you get closer to the t6, my reasons above do not matter as much. maybe someone else has some insight on this.
3L

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »
I'm an attorney working for the federal government, and if I were paying off $200K in loans over 10 years, I'd be living on less than $700/month right now.  For me, the knowledge that I was keeping my mid-career options open might be little comfort to me while I spent ages 25-35 living in my parents' basement and driving my car from high school. But that's me.

Wallace Stevens, it's good that you point out the sometimes-unanticipated benefits of going to a top school, but I'm curious about your persistent blanket assertions that massive debt is irrelevant.  Are you just assuming everyone who goes to a T14 will either start out in biglaw or be content spending the best years of their lives in abject poverty if they don't?  Or do you just assume everyone has a trust fund or will marry rich?  I don't get it.