Law School Discussion

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Question about Lewis & Clark..
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »
I was offered a Dean's Scholarship which is $16,000 a year contingent on a 2.95 GPA. Is that top 1/3rd??? I have no idea where to find these curve numbers.

The appeal for Lewis & Clark for me are as follows: (1) love Oregon, (2) love that the school is surrounded by parks and trails, and (3) I'm very interested in Animal Law (L&C has an animal law review and an animal law curriculum). However, I think the scholarship they offered me is pretty anemic considering that I would graduate with equal debts from L&C and from UMN, with UMN being the obviously better choice (better career prospects, better education, better reputation...). Its a shame too... I'll probably turn down my offer from them.

I think L&C's curve is 2.95, which I *think* means you would have to be in the top 50%?

Tetris, do you think you might be able to negotiate with them a little later in the cycle?

I have no idea but I might give it a shot. If I could go to a school with very little debt I would be a very happy man.

siski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
Do it.

I think with your interest in animal law, L&C would be a sweet fit. And you sound like you'd be fun to go to school with and L&C is one of my top choices. :)

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:51 PM »
How did I possibly miss this thread? L&C is basically my top choice and has been since last summer. To those that have experience in and knowledge about that market - are we saying top %10 for any decent job, or just private market/ high salary? I'm pretty convinced that I would like to do government work for at least a couple of years after graduation...how hard would it be to land one on the different levels (local, state, national) with a degree from L&C? How does this compare to UO?

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 02:37:10 PM »
The top 10% stuff is silly. The curve is a B, and scholarships are kept at just under top 50%.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 11:33:44 AM »
I went to a "meet and greet" thing in Denver last night for Lewis and Clark.  Here's what went down: 

There was one professor, and one staff member from the career services dept.  Both were perfectly nice, not much else to be said.  The rest of the people there were alums, with whom I spoke for quite a while.  They all work in CO now, so it was nice to see that despite all the "T14 or bust" talk around here, people can move nationally with a tier 2 JD as well.  MANY of them were still working in environmental law, a couple worked together at the CO Dept. of Justice.  Others had started their own firms here in CO, or have moved away from practicing and into the business sector. 

As far as the school, they all had great things to say about the campus and professors.  The law library is apparently in a forest; they mentioned one side of the building that's a big glass wall that looks into dense trees, sounded great to me.  A few of the alums were great to talk to, a few were CO natives (as I am) so they were pretty laid back people.  I asked their reasons for leaving Portland after graduation, and they all said the weather.  For 8-9 months it's "pissing rain," in their words.

And for the students, they said it's a pretty laid back school.  One alum I talked to has his own practice in Boulder, he goes into the CU library regularly and said their is significant stress in the air, and that is absolutely not the case at L&C.