Law School Discussion

« on: January 09, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »

siski

• View Profile
Re: Question about Lewis & Clark..
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »
I love Lewis & Clark. I love Portland. I love Oregon.

Check out this helpful thread from a few weeks back:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,98558.0.html

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:29:21 AM »
Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm too much, but getting a job in Portland from L&C is very difficult, think top 10% and then still it's not guaranteed.  The legal market in PDX is just very small and it does very well in recruiting from T14, specifically Berkeley, Stanford, and Michigan feed into it a lot.  It's a highly sought after region with not many jobs to go around.  There are a lot of recent L&C grads that want to stick around and so they end up doing contract work where they can find it.  Not terrible work or pay, but not very stable.  So, if you really want to work in Portland, your best bet is to try and get into the best school you can.

As far as L&C itself, I've had friends that have been there and they generally like the place.  It's not too competitive and does very well in environmental law.  But, most environmental law jobs are in Washington D.C. (at least for the good guys).  They give out a lot of scholarships if your LSAT is above their range (think 165+), but of course they are almost all contingent on GPA.

And, I do know a lot about L&C and the Portland legal environment

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:30:03 AM »
Great school, great location, great professors, great course selection, great campus...

Terrible curve and scholarship requirements. It was by far the best fit for me last semester, but they didn't offer me a scholarship I thought justified the tuition, and the requirements were pretty scary (top 1/3).

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
Great school, great location, great professors, great course selection, great campus... Terrible curve and scholarship requirements. It was by far the best fit for me last semester, but they didn't offer me a scholarship I thought justified the tuition, and the requirements were pretty scary (top 1/3).
Top 1/3 IS quite the gamble when thinking about financing law school...are all their scholarships contingent on that same level?

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »
Great school, great location, great professors, great course selection, great campus... Terrible curve and scholarship requirements. It was by far the best fit for me last semester, but they didn't offer me a scholarship I thought justified the tuition, and the requirements were pretty scary (top 1/3).
Top 1/3 IS quite the gamble when thinking about financing law school...are all their scholarships contingent on that same level?

I'm not sure.

I do know that an older poster (pass36) chose LC over a top 5 because of a scholarship offer, and he recently remarked upon how many of his classmates ended up losing their scholarships.

You should call the admissions office and ask.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 01:45:03 PM »
I was offered a Dean's Scholarship which is $16,000 a year contingent on a 2.95 GPA. Is that top 1/3rd??? I have no idea where to find these curve numbers.

The appeal for Lewis & Clark for me are as follows: (1) love Oregon, (2) love that the school is surrounded by parks and trails, and (3) I'm very interested in Animal Law (L&C has an animal law review and an animal law curriculum). However, I think the scholarship they offered me is pretty anemic considering that I would graduate with equal debts from L&C and from UMN, with UMN being the obviously better choice (better career prospects, better education, better reputation...). Its a shame too... I'll probably turn down my offer from them.

siski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 01:51:48 PM »
I was offered a Dean's Scholarship which is $16,000 a year contingent on a 2.95 GPA. Is that top 1/3rd??? I have no idea where to find these curve numbers.

The appeal for Lewis & Clark for me are as follows: (1) love Oregon, (2) love that the school is surrounded by parks and trails, and (3) I'm very interested in Animal Law (L&C has an animal law review and an animal law curriculum). However, I think the scholarship they offered me is pretty anemic considering that I would graduate with equal debts from L&C and from UMN, with UMN being the obviously better choice (better career prospects, better education, better reputation...). Its a shame too... I'll probably turn down my offer from them.

I think L&C's curve is 2.95, which I *think* means you would have to be in the top 50%?

Tetris, do you think you might be able to negotiate with them a little later in the cycle?

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »

I think L&C's curve is 2.95, which I *think* means you would have to be in the top 50%?

Tetris, do you think you might be able to negotiate with them a little later in the cycle?

I tried negotiating with them last year and they weren't having it, at all.

Shannon in the admissions office was extremely nice, and I pleaded with her about my interests (environmental non-profit work) and about the cost of LC, and I had acceptances to Davis and Hastings in hand, with substantial scholarships and grants. However, she informed me they work with a limited financial aid budget, and they couldn't help. She suggested I look into their LRAP (it was pathetic compared to Hastings and Davis's) or consider going part-time (which doesn't cut the cost at all).

I liked everyone there, they just seemed uninterested in helping. And because the UC schools' LRAP programs completely dwarf LC's, I chose to withdraw.

I don't know, maybe you might be a more desirable student than I was. Good luck anyway.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:59:28 PM »

Honestly, with your numbers you should probably be looking at some better schools, unless you really want to be in Oregon post law school.

Unless you can negotiate more money AND a guaranteed scholarship offer.