Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Secondary Journals  (Read 694 times)

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Secondary Journals
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:05:05 PM »
How valuable are Secondary Journals as opposed to the main flagship ones?  Is the difference significant, and how so?

RedNinja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary Journals
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 08:14:50 PM »
My Speculaton:

Chief editor of flagship >>> Flagship = chief editor of secondary >> secondary >> nothing

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 08:46:22 PM »
Another issue: some secondary journals let you write on during the spring of 1L and will allow you to run for an ed board position over the summer.  I had a friend who did that, so in 2L interviews she had an editorial position on her resume for OCI.  She thinks it helped.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to do this. I seriously am not good at bluebooking.....
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:36:10 PM »
Good advice so far in this thread.  It looks to me that secondary journals can be extremely valuable on your resume, but only if you're extensively involved and it's a journal that's directly applicable to your career path (e.g. Employment Law Journal for applications to firms dealing in employees' rights).  Of course, law review trumps all, but it seems that it may be just as much a sign of purely academic achievement (as Cady pointed out) as it is a resume-booster in and of itself.  In other words, confounding variables and all that.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:46:12 PM »
What is "note requirement"?

Add to this, i'm wondering what it means to "write-on"? What do you write??

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »
Another issue: some secondary journals let you write on during the spring of 1L and will allow you to run for an ed board position over the summer.  I had a friend who did that, so in 2L interviews she had an editorial position on her resume for OCI.  She thinks it helped.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to do this. I seriously am not good at bluebooking.....

If you're even marginally interested in writing, I do think it's worthwhile.  Journal work is thankless, picayune grunt work, but it does focus the mind with respect to the mechanics of writing.  I certainly think it has improved my own skills.

Hmmm. Good advice. I was all gung-ho about only doing pro bono hands-on type of stuff, but I do really want to get to do more writing...
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.