Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hold at Northwestern -- May?! Seriously?  (Read 2163 times)

WildRichLord

• View Profile
Hold at Northwestern -- May?! Seriously?
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »
I got a hold letter from Northwestern today.  Harumph.

I've instructed LSDAS to send them my other two LORs (in addition to the two I already sent to Northwestern) and I'll work on the 'letter of continuing interest' tomorrow.  I'll be ordering my transcript with fall grades (I got one A- my last semester at UC Berkeley, grr) on Wednesday when they become available.

I don't think I can retake the LSAT, since I was absent for the December LSAT (violently ill) and I sent e-mails to all of the schools I'd applied to telling them that I wasn't planning to retake it again this cycle.

But here's what gets me -- they say they'll get back to me in May?  May?!  Most of the other schools have deadlines in early to mid-April.  It does say that if they can make a decision earlier, they will, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

It's frustrating -- NW is my new favourite school (since my LSAT score pretty much keeps me out of U Chicago).

Remind me why I'm doing this again...
Is it September yet?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hold at Northwestern -- May?! Seriously?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »
because NU is the greatest and you'd probably be very happy there.

are you applying to other schools?  will you at least have some more good news to distract you while you wait?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

WildRichLord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »
Yes -- I applied to a total of sixteen schools (poverty = LSAC fee waiver = yay!).  I'm in at William & Mary and U Washington, which were some of my safety schools (and if those were my safety schools, life isn't bad at all).

I was also deferred from early action at Cornell, but at least they said I'd hear from them in February.

I just phoned the admissions office at NWUSL and they said they'll actually start looking at hold people again in mid-April, so there's hope yet.

And U Chicago is the greatest, but my LSAT score makes it the reachiest of the reach schools to which I applied, so I'm not the least bit sanguine about my prospects there.  Northwestern is my favourite school of the schools that I actually have a snowball's chance of getting into.
Is it September yet?

latinaattorney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »
I am in a simiar predicament. I am placed on "hold" and will submit an additional letter or rec and my "letter of continuing interest." Although, I do like NU- I'm not sure who they rank or take people off the "hold list" and frankly, waiting until after may just sounds too nerve recking. What makes matters worse is that most, if not all law schools want deposits and decisions by April.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »
I am in a simiar predicament. I am placed on "hold" and will submit an additional letter or rec and my "letter of continuing interest." Although, I do like NU- I'm not sure who they rank or take people off the "hold list" and frankly, waiting until after may just sounds too nerve recking. What makes matters worse is that most, if not all law schools want deposits and decisions by April.

the general idea is that you make a deposit at one school, but still wait for another one (if it's your top choice).  if you get in off the WL/hold/deferral, you can withdraw from the first school and just lose your seat deposit.  kind of a drag, but such is life and law.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

LifesaBitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
Think of it as an "Early Action Waitlist", NU is waiting to see how many people accepts their offer before they look at the Holds again.  Generally, your chance of getting an acceptance is probably not great; but this is, of course, dependent on a number of factors (# of people submitted the letter of continued interest, for example).

I hope to see you on campus next fall.  Good luck!
Northwestern - Class of 2011!