Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who started in community college?  (Read 849 times)

Tyler

• View Profile
    • Email
Who started in community college?
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:16:18 AM »
I'm feeling a bit disheartened after learning that my gpa will be adjusted by some schmucks :P to better represent me.

I started out in high school not giving a care in the world about school. I probably pulled a 2.0 if I'm lucky (have worked hard to forget those years lol).  School didn't matter to me because I was going to play baseball in college and was already all set up. Well as the story normally goes, I got hurt and baseball went down the drain. There I was with no options left but the local community college. At the time I didn't think anything of it because it was cheap and gave me time to figure out what I wanted to do.  :D Well after my first semester performance of 1.9 and a similar second semester, I realized that I was going to be a garbage man if I didn't get my poo together.

The next year I was at the same place but worked hard to bring my grades up to 2.8. I then decided that I needed to get out of the poo hole school (actually top CC in the country ahahahhaha) to a more respectable 4 year. I ended up at an expensive private school and have gotten all A's since I've been here. I'll end up with probably a 3.4 when it's all said and done.

I realize a 3.4 is bottom shelf around here, but I'm hoping a great lsat will get me somewhere.

Now, I'm curious how much my gpa will be adjusted considering my time at a community college. Most of those credits are included in what will be my graduating gpa so I'm kind of clueless. By the time I'm done I'll have 3 full years at a good school with 2 at a "good" :D community college. I'm hoping the extreme grade trend will make up for my early time in CC.

What do you guys think? Anyone else a dirty CC scumbag like me?  :P

RedNinja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who started in community college?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 03:32:25 AM »
Anything above a 3.0 is a respectable GPA =) If you feel like your GPA may be bringing you down, you could also report it the way you'd like on your resume, work for a few years, and go to Northwestern.

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 03:56:24 AM »
I had surgery my senior year of hs that cost me a scholarship at a big xii school. Then I went on to play football at a Div I-aa school, did poor on the academic side, and transferred to a community college. I had problems when I was there, mostly because I was working 40-60 hours to replace the scholarship (which I lost when I left the football team). I ended up taking a year off, working, then transferring to a more respected university.

I finished a little below the gpa you are projecting, though I got on these boards when I was transferring and thought that I would have a 3.4 (no kidding) when the time came to apply.

Keep your spirits up, gpa isnt everything.  :)

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:00:46 PM »
Well I graduated high school almost 12 years ago and went to a local community college. My high school study habits were lacking and I was lucky to even get out on time, thus my study habits were even worse at community college. I think I drank most of my first year away in Mexico and thus my grades, I ended up with a 1.8 after my first two semesters and then left for the Army for 8 years. After getting out I went back to community college and kicked butt, but I am bootstrapped to my first semester grades for overall GPA. I did ask, and even showed my grades, to law school reps at the last law school fair I went to and most of them all said that in cases like that you are looked at as two different persons, there is a before and after. Just rock the LSAT and write about your growing up in your PS or an addendum and you should be ok.

jcheste8

• Sr. Citizen
  • Getting excited about law school!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »
Wow, athletes unite huh?? Baseball scho. to a junior college where I stayed for a semester. Decided I wanted to focus on law school and transferred back to a four year where I have been ever since. Grades were always above 3.0 though so I don't know exactly what kind of curve/whatever you are thinking of. I would say write an addendum explaining the pressures of balancing balls and books and after realizing your decision to focus entirely on law school, your grades show results. Hope this helps.

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »
Now, I'm curious how much my gpa will be adjusted considering my time at a community college. Most of those credits are included in what will be my graduating gpa so I'm kind of clueless. By the time I'm done I'll have 3 full years at a good school with 2 at a "good" :D community college. I'm hoping the extreme grade trend will make up for my early time in CC.

What do you guys think? Anyone else a dirty CC scumbag like me?  :P

I went to a CC for two years before transferring and managed / am managing a good GPA at both schools.  I don't think the LSAC will or can necessarily "adjust" your GPA simply because you went to a CC.  It will still show up on your report as whatever the GPA is, but schools definitely take into consideration the difficulty of your courseload and of your college.  Obviously, if you can show that you continue to do well after transferring (or in your case did better) and rock the LSAT, you're fine.

Tyler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 02:51:16 PM »
Wow it's great to hear other stories similar to mine. Definitely calms the nerves. I'm hoping that my path will separate me a little from the norm in a good way and that my transformation will represent character more than anything.

Thanks for your advice everyone, and keep the stories coming if you have them.

BuckStoppage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »
I also started at the best community college ever, and now im in at BC, NYLS full ride, Loyola and UT. Keep your heads up people! Fellow JCers unite.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »
There's nothing wrong with going to community college.  I've had schools tell me that it shows how dedicated you are to getting educated (that you would take the less glamorous path and work your way into a university).  I don't think it has affected my cycle at all. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »
I started at a CC. I don't regret it at all. I had a 4.0 gpa there though...