Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should I do before LSAT specific studying?  (Read 891 times)

Tyler

• View Profile
    • Email
What should I do before LSAT specific studying?
« on: January 06, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »
I've got slightly under 2 years until application time. This means that I have about a year and a half until test time.  I've read all over that it's not good to start studying more than three or four months ahead of time for fear of running out of materials to actually study.

With that in mind, what can and should I be doing to prepare myself in the mean time? Obviously reading and focusing on comprehension are important, but other insight and advice is appreciated.

Best,
Tyler

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do before LSAT specific studying?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:57:45 PM »
Studying formal logic never hurts, also.  You can get a healthy dose of it from several common classes:

1)  Discrete Math (Major level math class; does formal logic and also set theory, basic proof techniques, etc.)

2)  Basic computer science class (virtually all introductory computer science classes will do some formal logic.  It's not as rigorous as discrete math, but it gives you some intro to it)

3)  Logic (philosphy major level class).  Pretty straightforward here.

You could also study logic on your own.  In any case, you don't need to be a master at formal logic, but it can definitely be helpful in certain cases, especially on the logical reasoning section but also commonly during games.

I only list the classes in case any of these overlap with your interests, majors, or minors. 

Honestly, as the above poster noted, a diganostic couldn't hurt, but you have so much time it might not be very helpful.  Personally, I wouldn't do one, but that's me.

Really, though, your main focus should be the highest possible GPA.  Reading advanced material and studying formal logic are just some things that may help you maintain/strengthen basic LSAT skills.
CLS 2011.  All done.

Tyler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »
Pretty much just gunning for the best program I can get in to. Baylor and the Minnesota come to mind simply because my family have history at both, but I wouldn't turn down a better program, probably.

My story is somewhat unique and I'm not sure how it will affect my chances. I was a totally inept in high school and pulled maybe a 2.0.  I did a stint at a community college starting off with a 1.9 gpa before climbing to a 2.8. Since I transferred to a very reputable school I haven't gotten anything less than an A-. If my trend continues, which it will, I will end up with about a 3.4 come application time. With this shaky history, I want to get a minimum of 166.

I will definitely look into a diagnostic run. Thanks for the advice.

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
There's really no reason why you shouldn't start studying early.  It may not be necessary to start so early, but I can't see how it could possibly hurt.  Just read over a few supplements, start working out some questions. Then as the test approaches, start putting more time into studying. Right now is a chance to start studying with very little pressure. Might as well take advantage of it.

--Sean
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

Tyler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:19:42 PM »
I know the community college thing is a big  downer and I'm pretty worried about it. Those grades are still cumulated in my current gpa though, so the only good thing that can come of it is just making my trend look that much better.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »
but a book of logic games.. they are challenging in an entertaining way (like a crossword or soduku) and they mirror the questions you'll face in the logic games section

Tyler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:02:57 PM »
When do you all think I should take the testmasters180 course? Should I take it before I really get to studying hard or should I take it closer to test time as a supplement for the studying that I will have already done?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
A course is going to teach you how to approach solving problems.  If you have been trying to figure out your own way to solve problems prior to that, you will probably have to unlearn some methods.  Of course, if you have some experience, you may also realize that some of the methods in the class do not work as well for you as they may for others. 

lp1283

• Sr. Citizen
  • Skateboard Scooter + Acid-wash Jeans, priceless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
If I had 1.5 years until the LSAT I would:

Study lightly. Grasp the concepts now and return to them later. Work on pacing and accuracy as much as possible.

BTW - Its awesome that you are asking these questions now. 

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 10:50:35 PM »
Read a lot of dense material for fun.

That would really help with Reading Comp.

Also, I don't think it's possible to start studying too early, honestly.  The only risk is getting burnt out...but that's individually monitored.  You would know when you've done too much.  Just start lightly and try to keep the LSAT fun (which it sort of is) as long as possible.  Your natural stress as the time approaches will help you ramp up at the right time.