Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about applications and taking the LSAT abroad  (Read 571 times)

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Question about applications and taking the LSAT abroad
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »
I am taking the LSAT in London and I had a question about registration. Should I change my details on my LSAC file to reflect my London address? I have a mailing address in the states and am planning to move back in a year and a half for law school. Also, when it comes time for applications should I use my mailing address in the states or address in London? Any advice is much appreciated.

courtz1686

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about applications and taking the LSAT abroad
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »
I wouldn't bother changing it since you'll only be in London for a year. Most of your decisions are likely to come out around January and after anyway, so you might as well just rely on your family or friends to e-mail or call about any acceptances or rejections until you get back to the states.

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 03:22:14 AM »
Actually, I will be here for about a year and 8 months. When I send in my apps I will still be in London. So I guess I will just put my mailing address as my address in the states? Is that falsifying the application?

quincym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:33:54 AM »
It doesn't matter

If you're living in London for a year and a half then put that as your address. If it asks for a permanent address (as many LS apps do) then put your US address.

courtz1686

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:33:15 PM »
Actually, I will be here for about a year and 8 months. When I send in my apps I will still be in London. So I guess I will just put my mailing address as my address in the states? Is that falsifying the application?

Oh, sorry I misread. In that case, just do whatever you prefer. You won't get in trouble or anything for putting an address that's not your actual mailing address. It might help relieve some waiting anxiety for you to put a U.S. address, though - that way you could know about your decisions sooner.

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
Is anyone studying for the LSAT in London? I have asked this before, so I just wanted to see if anyone has joined yet! I just signed up for the TestMasters course in London. I am taking the June test. If there is anyone out there, I would love to set up a study group!

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »
I took the LSAT in London a year ago, and sent my applications in from Belgium.  If you are worried about addresses, you can put your US address as your permanent address, and London as your current address.  Schools will send things to you in London, but it takes a lot longer to get them.  If you want to hear from schools sooner, I'd suggest putting your US address, or you can just ask that they send all info to your permanent address.

Good luck with everything.  I know applying abroad makes everything a lot more difficult.  PM me if you have any more questions, and I'll try to help you out!
Boston College Class of 2011!

ManTGeo

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »
Point of Note: If you get any fee waivers by mail on the basis of your LSAT score, they'll go to your main LSAC address.

libdem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Woooooo, go gold!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tricordertrekkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »
Hi, I took the LSATs twice in London (the second time after the TestMaster's weekend course...if they have it at LSE's Rosebery Hall again, please note that that's a dorm in Islington and not on the campus on Aldwych) and coordinated my second application cycle (this one) from South Africa.

I would suggest giving your US address for LSAT registration, so you'll get fee waivers. However, take full advantage of the "address valid until" slot on the applications. I notified all the schools to use my (US) permanent address when I came back from South Africa, but at least one school sent my acceptance there.

I'd really advise starting at least a month and a half before you want to have your applications submitted. Processing my foreign transcript, in particular, took ages, and I was ready to submit my applications fully two months before I had all the transcripts and recommendations in. Just know that it takes a lot of time, but thank goodness for the internet!

Let me know if I can help you at all! Enjoy London! It's the best city in the world and I miss it every day....
Georgetown c/o 2011