Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Uh oh.  (Read 17402 times)

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
Re: Uh oh.
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2008, 11:00:43 PM »
It wasn't the watching part, it was the language-is-useless part. Which may not be F., as much as general deconstructionism. Like I said, I never read any of that *&^% myself. 

OMG, all you young'uns are redonk. (BTW, for the record, "beating" PLJ meant calling him a twatwaffle. The kid was easily spooked.)

I feel relatively okay with saying that if you don't value having ideas, then you'll be exactly the kind of lawyer this country doesn't need.

As far as having ideas but going hungry, this is so extreme as to be irrelevant. If you go to college, you will likely be able to avoid starvation. And you've got to have ideas while you're still young enough to want to do something with them and still be able to.

Wait, what are we even talking about at this point?  It seems like this binary:

Student A: I want money.  Education is worthless.

Student B: I want to learn.  That's way more important than silly money.

Student C: I'm a big deal on the internet

Holy *&^%, are you stupid. OTHER PEOPLE have said to me (in person, which was weird) that I am scary on the boards, which I think is hysterical for obvious reasons, and now I say it because I think it's funny. It is IRONIC. It is SAID IN JEST. Stop getting your PANTIES in a TWIST.

you get better and better
Michigan '11

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »
It wasn't the watching part, it was the language-is-useless part. Which may not be F., as much as general deconstructionism. Like I said, I never read any of that *&^% myself. 

OMG, all you young'uns are redonk. (BTW, for the record, "beating" PLJ meant calling him a twatwaffle. The kid was easily spooked.)

I feel relatively okay with saying that if you don't value having ideas, then you'll be exactly the kind of lawyer this country doesn't need.

As far as having ideas but going hungry, this is so extreme as to be irrelevant. If you go to college, you will likely be able to avoid starvation. And you've got to have ideas while you're still young enough to want to do something with them and still be able to.

Wait, what are we even talking about at this point?  It seems like this binary:

Student A: I want money.  Education is worthless.

Student B: I want to learn.  That's way more important than silly money.

Student C: I'm a big deal on the internet

Holy *&^%, are you stupid. OTHER PEOPLE have said to me (in person, which was weird) that I am scary on the boards, which I think is hysterical for obvious reasons, and now I say it because I think it's funny. It is IRONIC. It is SAID IN JEST. Stop getting your PANTIES in a TWIST.

you get better and better

Like a fine wine, habibi.

Eve, I think I addressed your massaged argument, which is that, for most people, if you go to college where there's a liberal-artsy focus and end up on the brink of actual literal starvation, something else must have gone wrong.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2008, 11:11:13 PM »

Like a fine wine, habibi.

Eve, I think I addressed your massaged argument, which is that, for most people, if you go to college where there's a liberal-artsy focus and end up on the brink of actual literal starvation, something else must have gone wrong.

like illegal immigrants stealing all the entry-level jobs?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »
Moving beans from one pile to another should never require so much focus that you can't spend some time connecting with the ideas that are important.  You should be able to appreciate the beauty of a painting of beans in a pile, a poem about the unrequited love of one bean for another, or a song about a bean who just wanted a Pepsi. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2008, 11:17:05 PM »
Because when you are old, you are generally old and tired, you have a mortgage which makes you risk averse and less mobile, you can't embarrass yourself as freely as you could before you had a reputation, there is ageism all over the place, and you are naturally more conservative (often) because change could lead you to break a hip.

This pops up in other places, also, re biglaw. It's known as the Golden Handcuffs problem. Read: why don't partners at firms all become judges if they hate it so much? Answer: way harder to take a pay-cut than to turn down all the money in the first place. I say, then, it's safer to turn down the money now so as to avoid the golden handcuffs later.

Moving beans from one pile to another should never require so much focus that you can't spend some time connecting with the ideas that are important.  You should be able to appreciate the beauty of a painting of beans in a pile, a poem about the unrequited love of one bean for another, or a song about a bean who just wanted a Pepsi. 

Have you read The BFG? Lots of beans in that one.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2008, 11:22:33 PM »
30 is old if you have enough moolah to retire.
This sig kills fascists.

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2008, 11:23:14 PM »
Because when you are old, you are generally old and tired, you have a mortgage which makes you risk averse and less mobile, you can't embarrass yourself as freely as you could before you had a reputation, there is ageism all over the place, and you are naturally more conservative (often) because change could lead you to break a hip.

This pops up in other places, also, re biglaw. It's known as the Golden Handcuffs problem. Read: why don't partners at firms all become judges if they hate it so much? Answer: way harder to take a pay-cut than to turn down all the money in the first place. I say, then, it's safer to turn down the money now so as to avoid the golden handcuffs later.

Have you read The BFG? Lots of beans in that one.

driving a cab is way more stressful than eating lunch at 4-star restaurants 5 days a week.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2008, 11:25:08 PM »

Truth. And we all know that Zuckerberg is an ass.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »

not if you buy lots of lotto tickets.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »

Um. How?

Because you've already sunk a lot of effort and psychic investment in your rich-ass lifestyle, which makes you risk averse, and you've again got the golden handcuffs problem in spades.

I also don't appreciate that snotty little "Um.," missy, so don't think you're getting anything by me.

Truth. And we all know that Zuckerberg is an ass.

OMG is he ever. Props for fooling Microsoft though.
This sig kills fascists.