Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Vancouverites here?? specifically those writing Oct 2004??  (Read 4853 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any Vancouverites here?? specifically those writing Oct 2004??
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2004, 12:05:44 AM »
Cheeks,
These stats were obtained when I attended a Law Forum held at UBC..
UBC: 162 LSAT, 80% GPA
UVIC: 165 LSAT, 3.87 GPA

But it's not just about the marks..
like you said, the class size is much smaller and they're just more finicky from what I've heard

keri, where did you get these numbers?  (out of curiousity)  I'm floored that UVic's standards are so high.  Those are higher than UofT.

Also, how do you convert to a 4.33 scale?  anyone know?

is it, >85 = 4.33 or >90 = 4.33??  or letter grade?

kerisd

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2004, 02:16:16 PM »
Hi Cheeks,
I attended a Law Forum last February out at UBC
We all received handouts comparing the stats for all Canadian schools..
I have a contact at UVIC admssions - I'll contact her and see if I can get you some more info

With respect to the 4.33 grading scale.. this is how it works at SFU (we don't work in percentages)
4.33 = A+
4.00 = A
3.67 = A-

remember the figures I posted up were medians..
we had a panel of lawyers at the Forum, and one of them mentioned how he was a English Major from UT and while he was at the top of his class, his average was only a B+.. however, he overcompensated for the less competitive gpa with a strong LSAT mark.. albeit he told me he didn't even study for it..

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2004, 04:29:12 PM »
hey and thanks for the help.

I'm still above UVic's cutoff but i guess I just thought their numbers were lower.  If the formula caecilus posted above is correct, then they really weigh GPA heavily (70/30) I think.

I'm somewhat disappointed because I had planned for UVic to be my Super safety, in that I would apply to UVic if I got rejected early from a couple of law schools.  But at those averages, then it's def. not a safety at all.  I wish I had of sent my UVic app in, and held off on the UBC app.

Also, I don't like the fact that UVic has a better law school, but UBC seems to have the better reputation country wide.  I think that would disadvantage both schools, but what are you going to do about it  :-\ 

kerisd

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2004, 05:54:18 PM »
I know what you mean.. that's the way it goes

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2004, 06:18:32 PM »
UVic is indeed 70/30 GPA/LSAT split.

The ultimate safety school is, and always will be, Manitoba because of their incredibly generous way of calculating GPA.  However, I don't see not getting into UNB and, unlike Manitoba, I really really would like going there.  I really want to experience the East.

PS: Murphy's law predicts that because of this post, I will not get into UNB.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2004, 07:07:43 PM »
thought about UDal?  I've heard good things about their law schools.

You know what ...

Every Canadian law school (except maybe UofT) is pretty much the exact same.  It's all about where you want to go to school and where you want to practice.  The difference between UWO and Queens, or UVic and UBC is so small ... I"m sure none of these things really matter in anything with real implications.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2004, 07:20:13 PM »
thought about UDal?  I've heard good things about their law schools.

You know what ...

Every Canadian law school (except maybe UofT) is pretty much the exact same.  It's all about where you want to go to school and where you want to practice.  The difference between UWO and Queens, or UVic and UBC is so small ... I"m sure none of these things really matter in anything with real implications.

Heh, especially if you aren't doing corp law. 

I have thought about UDal but tuition is too high.  For that money, I'll stay in Ontario.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »
UDal has really hot chicks too! :D  I'd pay a little extra for that hahah ... but compared to UofT and waterloo, I'm pretty sure anything will be a welcome change. 

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2004, 07:29:43 PM »
UDal has really hot chicks too! :D  I'd pay a little extra for that hahah ... but compared to UofT and waterloo, I'm pretty sure anything will be a welcome change. 

You have no idea...  Actually, you're probably the only one here that understands  :)

BTW: I'm sure I could sell my reasons for going to Dal to my girlfriend...

"Why Dal?"
"Well, there's better chicks there"

Yeah, that would go over well.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2004, 07:35:30 PM »
If you go away ... is the girlfriend coming?  or are you picking a law school so you can be close?

I'm sure you can explain that it's not cheating if it's in a different area code ... let alone time zone!  everyone knows that rule!