Law School Discussion

Non-Traditional--Apply for Fall 2009

Non-Traditional--Apply for Fall 2009
« on: January 05, 2008, 03:20:29 AM »
I'm 27 years old and a non-traditional student.  I spent four years in the Marine Corps out of high school as a musician. (HORRIBLE High School grades)  Attended Community College of Allegheny County in Pittsburgh for a semester (3.75 GPA), then Carnegie Mellon University for a semester (3.84? GPA) as a music major.  Returned to Northern Virginia to work with a Sheriff's Office full time.  Attended Northern Virginia Community College for a year, half time (4.0 GPA) Currenty attending George Mason University, Administration of Justice Major (Current GPA 3.92)  Graduation #1 in my class at the Fairfax Criminal Justice Academy.

I want to go into criminal law and plan to apply to Mason, Catholic, American, Georgetown and George Washington.  I will go the PT route as I am married and cannot afford to quit my very well paying law enforcement job to go to law school full time.  I know my GPA is strong but was curious how everyone thinks my background will play a role in the application process.  I have been studying VERY hard for the LSAT hope to score in the mid to upper 160's and possibly break 170.  Would the fact I have military and current law enforcement experience counter the fact that I have been to four colleges in the span of 5 years, which was the result of my constantly moving?  Also I don't really have time to do much extraciricular activies outside of school as I work close to 60 hours per week and go to college full time and will be working on getting a research paper published.

Any advice or feedback would be awesome!

• View Profile
Re: Non-Traditional--Apply for Fall 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »
I think schools are very understanding of unique situations like yours.  If it doesn't otherwise fit into your personal statement, I would explain why you transferred so much.  I think needing to follow job opportunities is a good reason, and having worked your way through college is a reasonable explanation for not having had extracurricular opportunities.  Most schools truly seem to want diversity of experience in their student bodies.

Good luck on the LSAT!

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about your situation looking bad.  It actually shows that, though you have had other interests, you have been dedicated to finishing college. 

I think you will be fine for most if not all of those schools, even if you "only" get into the 160's.  Part-time students' LSAT scores don't count for the rankings, so it seems a bit easier to get into those programs. 

Are you talking about prosecution or criminal defense?  Either way, good luck!

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:05:06 AM »
Wow! Sounds like you have a story for a personal statement. Wish I had accomplishments like those....