Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Traditional--Apply for Fall 2009  (Read 1421 times)

DanKalbacher

• View Profile
    • Email
Non-Traditional--Apply for Fall 2009
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:20:29 AM »
I'm 27 years old and a non-traditional student.  I spent four years in the Marine Corps out of high school as a musician. (HORRIBLE High School grades)  Attended Community College of Allegheny County in Pittsburgh for a semester (3.75 GPA), then Carnegie Mellon University for a semester (3.84? GPA) as a music major.  Returned to Northern Virginia to work with a Sheriff's Office full time.  Attended Northern Virginia Community College for a year, half time (4.0 GPA) Currenty attending George Mason University, Administration of Justice Major (Current GPA 3.92)  Graduation #1 in my class at the Fairfax Criminal Justice Academy.

I want to go into criminal law and plan to apply to Mason, Catholic, American, Georgetown and George Washington.  I will go the PT route as I am married and cannot afford to quit my very well paying law enforcement job to go to law school full time.  I know my GPA is strong but was curious how everyone thinks my background will play a role in the application process.  I have been studying VERY hard for the LSAT hope to score in the mid to upper 160's and possibly break 170.  Would the fact I have military and current law enforcement experience counter the fact that I have been to four colleges in the span of 5 years, which was the result of my constantly moving?  Also I don't really have time to do much extraciricular activies outside of school as I work close to 60 hours per week and go to college full time and will be working on getting a research paper published.

Any advice or feedback would be awesome!

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Traditional--Apply for Fall 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »
I think schools are very understanding of unique situations like yours.  If it doesn't otherwise fit into your personal statement, I would explain why you transferred so much.  I think needing to follow job opportunities is a good reason, and having worked your way through college is a reasonable explanation for not having had extracurricular opportunities.  Most schools truly seem to want diversity of experience in their student bodies.

Good luck on the LSAT!
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about your situation looking bad.  It actually shows that, though you have had other interests, you have been dedicated to finishing college. 

I think you will be fine for most if not all of those schools, even if you "only" get into the 160's.  Part-time students' LSAT scores don't count for the rankings, so it seems a bit easier to get into those programs. 

Are you talking about prosecution or criminal defense?  Either way, good luck!

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 03:05:06 AM »
Wow! Sounds like you have a story for a personal statement. Wish I had accomplishments like those....