Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working during LS?  (Read 1337 times)

antaresvi

• Sr. Citizen
  • law school.
    • View Profile
Working during LS?
« on: January 05, 2008, 02:32:19 AM »
I'm going to be funding law school entirely on my own, through loans, grants, and whatever I can get. My parents keep nagging me about jobs during the school year, whether as part of a work study package or just part-time outside of school. It seems to me, though, that 1) LS is a lot more work than college and thus leaves little time for a job, and 2) whatever money made working part time will be a pittance compared to the massive cost of the next three years.

Am I off-base here? It seems to me that holding down a part time job during the semester next year would be trying to do way too much, but then again I haven't been to law school and I don't know. Anyone have a better idea?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Working during LS?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:20:25 AM »
Unless that job is a REAL job - salary, high wage, or career-related - I honestly don't think the added stress and time is worth the small dent in your loans.  Then again, you may want to live a bit more extravagantly. 

I wouldn't do it, and I'm in law school right now.  And I don't do much work compared to the other students, either.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:52:18 AM »
I worked at a fairly easy job 1L year where I was able to study while getting paid, and I made my own hours. It was great.

In general, you shouldn't work during law school unless:

(1) The work is really easy and hours flexible.  Being able to study on the job a big plus.

OR

(2) You are committed to public interest. It helps a lot to work at public interest internships during the school year when you're applying for summer or permanent positions.  If you do take a public interest internship though, I wouldn't start until at least spring of 1L. You just don't know enough to do meaningful work in the fall of 1L year.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:00:31 AM »
I'd recommend heavily against it.  The work you do in law school increases the value of your investment, paying off as  improved grades and job opportunities, much more than working part time in law school would offset the expense. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »
Even if you could somehow work the 20 hours you are allowed, if you made $10 an hour (or thereabouts) there would be no point.  In 8 months you would make $6400, minus taxes?  And that's if you didn't cut back around finals or break, which you probably would.  Absolutely not worth having less study time. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »
I worked at a fairly easy job 1L year where I was able to study while getting paid, and I made my own hours. It was great.

In general, you shouldn't work during law school unless:

(1) The work is really easy and hours flexible.  Being able to study on the job a big plus.

OR

(2) You are committed to public interest. It helps a lot to work at public interest internships during the school year when you're applying for summer or permanent positions.  If you do take a public interest internship though, I wouldn't start until at least spring of 1L. You just don't know enough to do meaningful work in the fall of 1L year.

I'll cosign this.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

antaresvi

• Sr. Citizen
  • law school.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies!