Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What have I done?  (Read 1098 times)

piece of the pie

• Columbia Law 2011
    • View Profile
What have I done?
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:26:58 AM »
I applied ED to CLS out of fear that I would be waitlisted for the 2nd year in a row. Well, I was accepted right away, which is a huge relief, but now I am fearful of what my financial aid package will look like. I am very poor and will have little money saved before law school begins. Thankfully, I received a full ride for undergrad and have no additional debt whatsoever. My family will not contribute for law school and I do not think they could even if they wanted to. I hope to go into a public interest/government career. Am I ruined? Are outside scholarships strong possibilities? Any advice? Thank you in advance for any insights you can give.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Re: What have I done?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:34:35 AM »
I applied ED to CLS out of fear that I would be waitlisted for the 2nd year in a row. Well, I was accepted right away, which is a huge relief, but now I am fearful of what my financial aid package will look like. I am very poor and will have little money saved before law school begins. Thankfully, I received a full ride for undergrad and have no additional debt whatsoever. My family will not contribute for law school and I do not think they could even if they wanted to. I hope to go into a public interest/government career. Am I ruined? Are outside scholarships strong possibilities? Any advice? Thank you in advance for any insights you can give.

I don't know about Columbia specifically, but law schools generally have no incentive to offer merit aid to anyone accepted ED.  I would think your aid possibilities would be limited to need-based aid only.  Does Columbia have a good LRAP program that will help you pay your loans if you are doing PI?

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

piece of the pie

• Columbia Law 2011
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »
Thanks so much Tom Terrific for the link to the scholarship. I fully plan on applying. Whatever my financial situation turns out to be, I have no regrets; I am very excited for Columbia!