Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT you all sell me on Penn (moved)  (Read 5266 times)

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
ITT you all sell me on Penn (moved)
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:58:07 PM »

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT you all sell me on Penn (moved)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:15:19 PM »
I was SET on moving away from the east coast

Which is clearly why about 75% of the schools you applied to are on the east coast

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:58:47 AM »
Okay, so first, sorry about your brain thing.  My fiancee interns at Jefferson Neuroscience as an in-patient pharmacist and knows all the doctors, so I can personally vouch that you'll be in good hands.

As for Penn, I LOVED it when I visited, like literally fell in love with it.  I loved how everyone there (and I have friends who are current and former students) seemed competitive within themselves but this did not manifest itself into a feeling of deadly competition between everyone (other than the few gunners).  My one friend missed a week of classes due to the flu and had a whole bunch of outlines in her mailbox before she even asked anyone.  I like that.  We all will be working with people at some point, and Penn seems to stress this early.

I also really like the interdisciplinary focus of the faculty.  Something like 50% hold advanced degrees (PhD or MD) and appointments within other schools/depts at the University proper.  Thats amazing.  It shows the commitment to thinking of law within a broader, real life, world impact way that crosses beyond courts and transactional matters. Plus, I have an undergrad and grad degree in music, so not feeling like an outcast because I wasn't poli-sci or history at an Ivy seemed pretty appealing.

On this same note, if you are interested in communications, you can take classes in that department (up to 12 credits I think toward the JD in an outside school).  That's pretty cool in that it gives you the other side of practice in that area.  I am thinking of taking a class in the musicology dept. just to not completely turn my back on my past.  A pretty cool opportunity if you ask me.

I also think the facilities are gorgeous.  The campus is beautiful and very convenient–everything is right there–and the law school itself is breathtaking.  All in all, I think Penn will be a really nice place to study for three years, in terms of people, academics, and it just being really pretty.

Good luck, and I really do hope that helped.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 12:16:44 PM »
1.  Jefferson Neuroscience
2.  Annenberg
3.  Wharton
4.  (as if after those three you need a fourth reason) all of us. :)

I agree.  We are a supportive bunch even though we all haven't even met yet.  Beat that, any other school!

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:36:03 PM »
Okay, so first, sorry about your brain thing.  My fiancee interns at Jefferson Neuroscience as an in-patient pharmacist and knows all the doctors, so I can personally vouch that you'll be in good hands.

As for Penn, I LOVED it when I visited, like literally fell in love with it.  I loved how everyone there (and I have friends who are current and former students) seemed competitive within themselves but this did not manifest itself into a feeling of deadly competition between everyone (other than the few gunners).  My one friend missed a week of classes due to the flu and had a whole bunch of outlines in her mailbox before she even asked anyone.  I like that.  We all will be working with people at some point, and Penn seems to stress this early.

I also really like the interdisciplinary focus of the faculty.  Something like 50% hold advanced degrees (PhD or MD) and appointments within other schools/depts at the University proper.  Thats amazing.  It shows the commitment to thinking of law within a broader, real life, world impact way that crosses beyond courts and transactional matters. Plus, I have an undergrad and grad degree in music, so not feeling like an outcast because I wasn't poli-sci or history at an Ivy seemed pretty appealing.

On this same note, if you are interested in communications, you can take classes in that department (up to 12 credits I think toward the JD in an outside school).  That's pretty cool in that it gives you the other side of practice in that area.  I am thinking of taking a class in the musicology dept. just to not completely turn my back on my past.  A pretty cool opportunity if you ask me.

I also think the facilities are gorgeous.  The campus is beautiful and very convenient–everything is right there–and the law school itself is breathtaking.  All in all, I think Penn will be a really nice place to study for three years, in terms of people, academics, and it just being really pretty.

Good luck, and I really do hope that helped.

Thanks, this actually did help.  At this point, I am at about 90% that I will be at Penn and as much as I am excited about the opportunities it will offer, I am terrified of the "what could have been" aspect.  I've never been away from this part of the country and I thought that LS might be that opportunity for me to branch out-- but given recent developments, I am pretty sure this is the hardest easy decision I will ever have to make seeing how I would be moving about 45 minutes from my current home as opposed to moving to a different coast.

What about you current students?  Tell me about the financial aid process, the admin staff, the competition.  Is there a grocery store convenient?  Where can I get good bagels?  Can I keep my car (assuming I am allowed to drive again soon.  stupid no driving after a seizure rule.)?  Where do LS students live off campus (specifics would be nice.  i have a live in BF and 2 pets, fwiw, so no on campus housing)?  I need the important stuff. :)

Even though I am not a current student, I live in Philly so I can answer some of these.

Living:  Live in Center City.  It is VERY convenient to campus by walking, driving, biking, or mass transit.  Also, it is far enough removed from campus to feel like you are getting away but close enough to get there if and when you need to outside of class time.  PLUS, there are lots of dog parks (we have a dog).

Grocery Stores:  Trader Joe's at 21st and Market, SuperFresh at 10th and South (across the street from a nice Whole Foods), and Wegman's is a short car trip into Jersey if you want.  Stay away from Rittenhouse Market:  OVERPRICED!

Car:  Sure!  I'd suggest either finding an apt. with a parking spot (prob an extra $150-200/mo), or get a center city parking pass.  This allows you to park on the street in your neighborhood without feeding a meter.  It costs about $40 for the year and you need a Philly address and PA license plates.  We park ours in a garage and it's a bit expensive but we have no choice for a variety of reasons.

Good Bagels:  Hmmm... I'm a New Yorker originally, so my answer would be that the closest place is Brooklyn.

Good luck again!

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »

my crim prof is also a psychiatrist,

Prof. Morse?  If so, I sat in on his 1L class this past semester and it is a LARGE part of what blew me away about the school.  He was AMAZING!

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 07:57:37 PM »
Oooh. It sort of sounds like Penn is perfect for you anyway. The reason I didn't choose Penn is (because they didn't make me feel deeply loved by giving me oodles of money and I am insecure like that and because) people really seem to go to firms far too often to make my public-defender-wannabe ass feel like they would protect me from selling out. Since that's not your concern, Penn is otherwise awesome, and especially awesome given: pleasantry, everything Cady said with special extra emphasis on how f-ing rockin' Philly is, and the fact that your outside interests are communications (Annenberg) and general businessy stuff (Wharton). I think you should go there regardless of your brain thingy (which, oy, and...um, feel better?).
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »
I've said this to quite a few people lately, but Penn has been my #1 choice for quite a while (since Senior year of UG actually, when I applied there Early decision and was waitlisted.).

First, some background: I've always loved History.  Since I was young, I was sort of that history-buff kid who liked reading things about Napoleon and the Civil War, etc. when other kids were playing NBA Jam (though I was good at that too  :D).  When I was in High School, I really developed a love for Constitutional History: James Madison, Hamilton, Washington, Franklin, etc.  I just love the stuff and it fascinates me.  When I finally got interested in politics, that eventually led to an interest in constitutional law, which touches on those things tangentially. 

Fast forward now to applying to Law School.  Penn offers the opportunity to go to school within ear-shot of Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc.  It's steeped in History down to the very Founder that established it.  So you can see the "inspiration" factor just oozing off of my first choice for me. 

Now I understand that other people don't have my experiences and interests.  But...let's consider how Penn's bonuses also can benefit some one like me, who have diverse interests beyond just going to law school to make money:  Penn's interdisciplinary opportunities and focus allow me to develop my interest in History and see how it connects to areas of law that I wish to practice.  My professors will also share an appreciation for that type of broad focus.  In the same way, you could take some sort of extra personal interest and apply it to law to find a career perfectly suited for you.  At the same time, Penn is very flexible in its location, which places it in the heart of all of the major Eastern legal markets.  You are close to NYC, DC, Boston, etc.  Finally, I have not actually met a lot of Penn students yet, but the ones that I have spoken to all really do vouch for Penn's "collegial" reputation.  I have had a rather poor experience with the student body at UG.  I've learned that a lot of success in life stems from happiness with your surroundings and support network of friends.  Therefore, Penn's collegiality would provide a unique support structure that would encourage me to pursue my dreams rather than try to undermine them.

Granted, I'm not a student there yet.  But there are many LSDers who go to Penn, and they have been very positive and encouraging in their support of their school.  They can offer perspectives that I cannot, especially on Philly and its quality of living.

Either way, good luck.  I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the schools you've already made it into.   :)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 12:21:19 AM »
Last time I checked, Boalt doesn't need message board trolls when it has, oh, the Bay Area.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:40:55 AM »
It was number two going into the cycle (which is why I really couldn't take it as harshly as my pride wanted me to--what was I going to say, "if only you would've let me in, I would've really wanted to come and been super tempted, but still would've chosen Harvard--YOU BASTARDS"?), and it was number two for a number of reasons. But foremost among them: SF. If ever there was a shining city on a hill (other than original-recipe shining-city-on-a-hill Jerusalem, obvi), that's it.

Hmm . . . maybe I should put more smileys at the end of my sentences.

Or, do a better job choosing your words. No-smileys served mankind well for a very long time in reasonably accurately conveying meaning and tone. Just a suggestion.
This sig kills fascists.