Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 155 LSAT, 2.5GPA, URM.. where can I go?  (Read 5699 times)

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
Re: 155 LSAT, 2.5GPA, URM.. where can I go?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 09:48:01 AM »
Dude:
Please, please, please for your sake do not mention to a law school that you have "ADD".  This is the psych equivalent of fibromyalgia (i.e. you can almost hear the MD patting you on the head saying "there there little rabbit, there there, now you have something you can name and blame all of your problems on".) Your app is already weak as it is.  no one cares about upward trends in your gpa, all they see is the bottom line.  re-take the LSAT and score considerable higher (like mid-160's) or think about b-school (where they also won't care about your ADD).  Mind you, being diagnosed with a psychiatric condition can also adversely impact you when you apply to the bar.  Just sayin.

lp1283

• Sr. Citizen
  • Skateboard Scooter + Acid-wash Jeans, priceless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 09:55:20 AM »
More doom and gloom.

whatifwhatifwhatif...

The difference between your "whatif" and my calculations is that my calculations are the typical case while yours are the extreme exception.  Only 10% of the class makes the top 10%.  From a T3 school like Syracuse, a shot at that 6-figure job probably requires top 5% or even top 2%. 

If you think your scenario is so great, show me some big scholarships that schools give after admissions.  Give some links to biglaw firms that hire 1L summer associates from T3 schools like Syracuse. 

I've shown hard numbers and real calculations.  You've shown absolutely nothing save one anecdote.

Its been my experience that if you want to do something, then you should just do it. You never know whats going to happen until you actually do it.  Up until the point of action, everything is just a hypothetical.

Great! That's exactly the strategy of people who took out subprime mortgages!  I want a house!  I'll buy it!  Who cares what my earnings are and what the interest rate will be next year!  I want a plasma TV even though I have no job!  I'll put it on a credit card!  Taking actions without weighing the risks is an easy way to get into huge trouble.

You're totally right...ha!

What you've shown is the same crap you show on your "blog."

Whatever man. Continue to sprout your doom and gloom. Aren't you a practicing attorney? (allegedly) No wonder you're so miserable. You waste your time posting on an internet chat board when you should be out hustling clients. But then again, that would require social skills....
Note to everyone who wants to actually be a successful attorney: YOU NEED SOCIAL SKILLS!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't, then you'll be like "stateofbeasly" and have to pump up your own self-worth on an internet chat board.

So..

Did this make you feel better about yourself?

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
Note to everyone who wants to actually be a successful attorney: YOU NEED SOCIAL SKILLS!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is true.  A former boss advised me that "half of all practice is getting clients".  That means a lot of networking with other lawyers to get referrals and getting out into the community to put your name out there.

yoyodawg, you still haven't provided any evidence as to why people should go to law school just because they feel like it.  If you were buying a house or a car, you'd want to compare prices, right?  You'd want to do some research and make sure there were no problems, right?

Merely insulting people, saying things like "You're totally right...ha!" are not going to win you any arguments, here or in the courtroom (try saying that to a co-worker or worse, a judge).

What evidence is there to produce? What prices can you compare? This is not the same as buying a TV or car or house. If you want to go to law school then you should. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR IT if you want to be an attorney. You have to attend law school.

One shouldn't be disuaded from attending school just because of some jacka$$ like yourself wants to tell them its too expensive. What are you, their mom?

The OP originally asked what his chances were. He didn't ask "is it economically feasible in todays society for me to attend law school?"  The guy wants to be an attorney. If you can advise him of another way to become an attorney without attending law school I'd ask that you provide that "evidence."

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 08:34:30 PM »
What evidence is there to produce? What prices can you compare? This is not the same as buying a TV or car or house.

You are missing the point.  All I am saying is that people need to do their homework before signing for a huge loan.  Comparing tuition & cost of living for different schools and weighing the costs v. the benefits is the prudent thing to do.

The OP originally asked what his chances were. He didn't ask "is it economically feasible in todays society for me to attend law school?"  The guy wants to be an attorney.

If I had told friends on August 26, 2005 that I wanted to be in New Orleans in 2 days, and they had heard that Hurricane Katrina was likely to hit around then, I'd hope that they'd warn me.  Likewise, I think that most people would want to know if their actions could put them in a really bad financial position.

If you want to go to law school then you should. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR IT if you want to be an attorney. You have to attend law school.

because of some jacka$$ like yourself wants to tell them its too expensive. What are you, their mom?

More ignorance and irrelevant insults. 

In some states, you can take the bar without having attended law school.  http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0603/p13s01-lecs.html

I'm done arguing with you.  People can weigh the #'s and links I've provided and make their own decision.

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
I'm a 1L at Hofstra.

156 / 2.5 / URM

$15,000 in annual scholarship money and I did very well my first semester.

Best of luck!!

- SF
Hofstra '10