Law School Discussion

155 LSAT, 2.5GPA, URM.. where can I go?

botbot

• View Profile
Re: 155 LSAT, 2.5GPA, URM.. where can I go?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »
bump

You are not self-aware.  You are whiny/excuse filled.

Enjoy full priced tier 2.
lol, I'm glad you were able to shrink me from a few posts on a message board.  Freud would be proud.

I stand by my assessment.

Your URM will get you into the Tier 2 (barely).  You will almost certainly get no money.  You will graduate with a ton of debt and poor job options.  I would not go to law school if I were you.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 05:03:05 PM »
mikefear,

botbot's assessment is very harsh, but I think you should listen to him (or her).  With your #'s, it is unlikely that you will get any scholarship money, even from a low ranked school.

I strongly recommend that you work for a few years and take an LSAT prep class.  The professional experience will make you much more marketable to law firms, and a higher LSAT score will give you a better shot at scholarship money.

If you really want to go to law school, be smart about it.  Mortgaging your life to a $150,000 debt for 30 years could be one of the worst mistakes ever.

lp1283

• Skateboard Scooter + Acid-wash Jeans, priceless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 08:47:51 AM »
bump

You are not self-aware.  You are whiny/excuse filled.

Enjoy full priced tier 2.
lol, I'm glad you were able to shrink me from a few posts on a message board.  Freud would be proud.

I stand by my assessment.

Your URM will get you into the Tier 2 (barely).  You will almost certainly get no money.  You will graduate with a ton of debt and poor job options.  I would not go to law school if I were you.

I don't think this is harsh, it is the awful truth. I'd take this as constructive criticism. Dunno if the OP should give up completely but I applaud botbot for getting the point across.

My GPA sucks and I know it and take full responsibility so thats why I'm studying my lil' URM bum off for the LSAT.

ADD is overrated.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »
well, consider instate in upper t3 or perhaps rutgers if they take you.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »
mikefear,

botbot's assessment is very harsh, but I think you should listen to him (or her).  With your #'s, it is unlikely that you will get any scholarship money, even from a low ranked school.

I strongly recommend that you work for a few years and take an LSAT prep class.  The professional experience will make you much more marketable to law firms, and a higher LSAT score will give you a better shot at scholarship money.

If you really want to go to law school, be smart about it.  Mortgaging your life to a $150,000 debt for 30 years could be one of the worst mistakes ever.

Its amazing to me the amount of people who believe that its not worth going to lawschool unless you go to a T-14 or get a scholarship from a T-2. This is just ridiculous.

The average person who goes to lawschool doesn't have either of these options, and they will still make a lot more money over their lifetime by going to law school than if they would have not gone to lawschool.

Idiots..

lp1283

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 01:21:17 PM »
Thats not what he/she said. I think he was just pointing at the debt issue not whether its not worth going if you can't get into t2/t14.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
Thats not what he/she said. I think he was just pointing at the debt issue not whether its not worth going if you can't get into t2/t14.

No he said that it would get the OP into a T2, but since he'd have debt, he would regret it and therefore should not go to lawschool.

This is a foolish statement. You're still better served by going to lawschool and coming out with debt than not going to lawschool and regreting it later on in life.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
I agree with yoyodog.  I've been reading this board for a month or two and I'm sick of the T14 snobs who look down on anyone no applying to Boalt.  If you really want this, then work for it and do it.  But don't blame ADD and Football games...you totally control your own destiny. 

Personally I'm heading to a T2-ish school and proud of it. 

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 04:05:29 PM »
I agree with yoyodog.  I've been reading this board for a month or two and I'm sick of the T14 snobs who look down on anyone no applying to Boalt.

This has NOTHING to do with snobbiness and EVERYTHING to do with economics.  For the record, I graduated from Temple University School of Law in 2006.  This is a Tier 2 school with a good regional rep, but nothing special nationally.

Suppose the OP gets into Syracuse Law.  The OP's LSAT/GPA aren't spectacular, but he is sort of within Syracuse's range.  http://www.law.syr.edu/overview/facts.aspx

Tuition is $41,000/year for the current 1L class.  http://www.law.syr.edu/overview/facts.aspx

Living expenses (housing, food, books, supplies, insurance, transportation) are estimated to be $16,175/year.  http://www.law.syr.edu/financialaid/attendance_costs.aspx

That's a total of $57,175/year to attend. 

Assume that the OP receives no scholarship $, which is reasonable because his #'s are not very high for Syracuse.  Assume that inflation is sufficiently low that living costs do not appreciably increase over the next 3 years.

So the OP would have to borrow about $171,525 to pay for 3 years of law school. 

If the OP borrows $61,500 in Staffords at 6.8% fixed http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml and the rest (110,025) at 8% fixed on a federal PLUS loan.  This is about 7.57% interest on the total. 

The finaid.org calculator says:

Loan Balance:  $171,525.00 
Adjusted Loan Balance:  $171,525.00 
Loan Interest Rate:  7.57%
Loan Fees:  0.00%
Loan Term:  30 years
Minimum Payment:  $50.00 

Monthly Loan Payment: $1,207.56 
Number of Payments:  360

Cumulative Payments:  $434,721.64 
Total Interest Paid:  $263,196.64 

$1,200/month IS NOT a fun amount to pay off for 30 years.  This doesn't even take into account that the PLUS loans accumulate interest while you are in school.  It's downright awful if you get a job at a small firm making 43k/year.

Suppose further that the OP decides to work for a small firm or government office in Philadelphia, for $43,000/year. After paying federal, state, and city wage tax (4.26% as of 1 Jan 2007), OP will be taking home a meager $607.55/week, or about $2,600/month [calculated at paycheckcity.com, assumptions: single taxpayer, 2 exemptions, PA resident living in Philadelphia County].

Paying 46% of your after-tax salary to service loans is horrible.  You can only get a tax deduction for $2500 in interest.  And people wonder why lawyers start doing document review.

lp1283

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »
I agree there are some bitter t14 snobs whining about how they haven't got into HYS yet on this site that make the "not even in 25% of a t14" feel like burnt crap. But, everyone is going to have an opinion. He should of saw this coming, in a land full of over-achievers, i.e. people who have worked their ass off to get into law school. I for one am not surprise by these responses. C'est la vie.

In the end, whatever you choose to do mikefear is your decision not ours.  

P.S. Go Stateofbeasley