Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mixed Ethnicity  (Read 1874 times)

Kasserole

• View Profile
Mixed Ethnicity
« on: January 04, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »
I am a quarter Native American and three quarters white.  I am unsure what I should list on my applications.

Also, how do they determine minority status.  Is it from your profile on the LSDAS or from the application.

Thanks!!

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed Ethnicity
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
With which group do you most identify?  Are you a white kid with a parent who happens to be 1/2 NA, or are you an NA person with one white parent?

Schools determine your status from both the LSDAS and the application.  The box you select should match on both.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:25:02 PM »
I am a quarter Native American and three quarters white.  I am unsure what I should list on my applications.

Also, how do they determine minority status.  Is it from your profile on the LSDAS or from the application.

Thanks!!

Many applications will ask if you're enrolled and/or your tribal affiliation.  Also, your PS and/or DS should include discussion of your Indianness, or else Adcomms might view you as just a "box checker".
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »

Thanks!!

I'm 1/4 NA too (Muskogee).  I agree you should think about which you identify with more. For example, I've checked NA off since I was 6 and took my first standardized test... because it has always been a part of who I am. And make sure you have something to write about in your DS to show your connection with your heritage. (ie. I wrote about my work with Native American Studies at UF and my relationship with my paternal grandmother)

Anyways, what tribe are you? (Just curious) :D

EDIT: And yes, a tribal number helps too... though in my case this was impossible... didn't seem to hurt me though.
Vandy 1L... really?

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 02:38:26 AM »
Most schools will let you include a "why is my race/ethnicity relevant" essay. I wrote one for my app.