Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Passsing off NYLS as NYU  (Read 3618 times)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Passsing off NYLS as NYU
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
guys, let's not forget that NYLS is in the T50: http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2007.htm

* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

rachelsmith85

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »
lol...is Cooley allowed to make up rankings like that? Misleading people has to be illegal right?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:42:55 PM »
lol...is Cooley allowed to make up rankings like that? Misleading people has to be illegal right?

oh, they're not made up.  they're based on 32 solid factors, like number of seats in the library and square footage of the law school.

LSN

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »
So, I just looked around the Cooley webpage, and the funny thing is that they actually hire a lot of their grads to teach.  I guess I expected the faculty to be filled with Michigan JDs or something, but apparently that's not the way Cooley swings.
Columbia 2011

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:29:55 PM »
So, I just looked around the Cooley webpage, and the funny thing is that they actually hire a lot of their grads to teach.  I guess I expected the faculty to be filled with Michigan JDs or something, but apparently that's not the way Cooley swings.

it increases their post-grad employment rates.

LSN

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:37:22 PM »

Stop and think for a moment.

First, the information they use to formulate the rankings is not incorrect. As LoveButton notes, their rankings are based on 32 factors. As she also notes, those factors are, at least in part, more than a little silly. HOWEVER...

Second, there is nothing inherently or objectively right about the USNWR rankings, the Leiter rankings, or any other rankings out there.

So, what Cooley is doing is taking a number of factors that they think are important to a good law school (or that would get them into one of the top spots...) and ranking schools based on those factors. It's the same thing USNWR does.

Now, the factors that USNWR bases their rankings on are, for most people, more helpful measures of what the school has to offer them, as compared to the Cooley factors/rankings. Those factors are, likewise, for most employers, a more helpful measure of the general caliber of student accepted to the school, when compared to the factors Cooley uses. But there is nothing objectively right about the USNWR rankings.

But the law you're looking for would basically be legislating the interpretation of information. And since there is no actual objective listing of the best law schools, every set of rankings is going to involve the subjective interpretation of the information that is available.

Do you really want some sort of law enforcement official looking at the different rankings and saying "okay, we think this one is good. This one isn't. You're going to be [fined or sanctioned or imprisoned or whatever]."

Have I told you lately that I love you?
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »
Total Law School Square Footage - The overall picture of a law school's physical plant can be obtained by consideration of both its library and other facilities. A large physical plant not only provides a better frame of reference and infrastructure for legal education, it also demonstrates the viability of the institution as a legal and financial enterprise.

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
In a reversal of this OP's scenario, I had a dream last night that I had actually applied to NYLS instead of NYU because I misread the app and my subsequent acceptance letter. The dream ends with me enrolling at NYLS because I think it has a great PI program and LRAP, and having no choice but to attend even after I find that this is not the case.

No more LSD before I go to bed.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PM+me+to+get+it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 11:56:42 AM »
^ LOL, LSD is typically not going to hurt you, rhymno but when it does...it stings pretty bad, lol

i've been subject to its hamrful effects before too, lol

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
I don't have to pretend though. I just say I'm thinking about going to NYLS and they do the rest. Not necessarily lying. Do you think there's any chance small business companies or maybe even the large ones like the Big 4 firms may think I went to NYU?

Not really.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.